Author Topic: Continuation of Server User Limit  (Read 9709 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Continuation of Server User Limit
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 11:56:53 PM »
<3

EDIT:
Oh, jits was gone for this week, so he had missed out on discussing this. I would have loved to have his opinion all the way through, though.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:57:41 AM by Eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »
Excellent post, Xile.  I wish everybody could put half or even 1/4 of that much thought into their posts.  As you suggested, the higher player limits came about to help make larger maps more enjoyable.  Brainstorm is just one map that works well with more than 16 players.  Palace, NHB, TLC, Anubis, some of DT's maps, and a handful of others support larger player counts.  I kicked the server limit up on the EV1 servers with the advent of mapinfo files, intending them to be self balancing.  As more people join the servers, the larger maps in rotation will be played.  When the player count drops off, smaller maps will be played.  Other servers followed suit.  It worked well to a degree, but:

a) The connect/disconnect rate on servers seems to have increased dramatically.  10 or more people may join or leave a server within a very short period of time -- too fast for the map rotation/mapinfo system to compensate for.
b) Several maps did not have mapinfo files and thus had no limits, which threw the system off and caused certain maps to be played excessively and beyond their feasible player capacity (shazam33 and barrels, for example).  Some servers just updated the executables and not the mapinfo files with new releases as well.
c) Some servers lacked the sufficient range of map sizes to make the system really work, so medium/small maps were cycled even with high player counts.

I can see why admins are reluctant to add the larger maps, since they tend to clear servers out, but they really do help keep things balanced as well as expose new players to other aspects of the game.  Every server should have high capacity (16+ player) maps comprising a good 20-30% of the rotation if the player limit is above 16.

Ultimately, I think the best compromise and possibly the best solution in general is to extend the mapinfo files to limit the number of clients who can connect to the server and not just limit the map rotation.  That way large maps could be filled, and small maps won't be overcrowded.  I suggest everybody involved in this discussion vote for this feature (or suggest a better alternative).

Y2J: You need to stop with the personal attacks.  All it's doing is causing people to disregard your opinion, and you're going to get yourself banned (again) if you continue.  Picasso and Eiii: you're also walking a thin line.  Come on, guys.  You're capable of behaving better than this.  Lets focus the discussion more on what we can do to help the game play better in relation to player counts and less on what we think about the people making their arguments.

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 01:51:22 AM »
Piccasso, why don't you do something to fix the "pathetic state" of dp as you claim it, instead of try to get people to persecute me for brining a subject of community concern to everyones attention? Fools like me? I've played this game longer then most of the people I see post on this forum, but one thing is common between all of us except you GT guys for someone reason, we all want a lower user limit. All the other servers changed. Jitspoe already voice his opinion on the last one. He said a balanced map list with lower server limits, or automatically adjusting ones were what he would ideally like to see.

And as eiiii said, you're by far being the most disrespectful in this thread? Maybe AA is needed for you and your beam problem is it? I mean excrement, if not for the communities sake, the kids?

And read Xile's post. It's a good one.

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2007, 01:55:05 AM »
I need to stop with the personal attacks? Please.. Picasso and Snipen have said excrement way worse about me and you let it go.. I just state simple facts. 

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2007, 02:01:50 AM »
The best part about all of this is that clearly everyone wants this changed, despite the fact they still play on the servers, from the previous poll, to the variety of people that are chiming in and giving their two cents. Yet GT still has the nerve to say the majority of people don't want change. I do not understand how they come to that conclusion.

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2007, 10:14:37 AM »
For those of you who got bored of reading xiles great post, here is what he basically is pointing out(as was everyone else): 8 or 16 player maps cant run on 32 player servers.  Its completely pointless.

So this is what im suggesting to GT since you want to be stubborn maybe you can Compromise. (this is my COUNTER OFFER to you.)

GT- Make maybe 1 or 2 servers for 32 player maps -- Have 2 servers or so for 16 player maps and make the limit 16 -- and for those maps like blitz and pbcup which some people love maybe throw in an 8 player server for those.

As for Y2J come on irc before i kick your ass.

Thanks

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2007, 09:47:03 PM »
Ultimately, I think the best compromise and possibly the best solution in general is to extend the mapinfo files to limit the number of clients who can connect to the server and not just limit the map rotation.

I don't think that'll accomplish a ton if that's toggleable. I say, if you have public set to 1, that option has to be set also.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 11:58:53 PM »
I really don't have a say in this because I am indeed banned from GT servers. Although I am banned, I will say this. From the times I've spent on GT servers in the past two years and some change, I've seen interesting things. Even when I was in GT I witnessed admin abuse several times. I understand you pay for the servers with your hard earned money, but why abuse and make people not want to play on what you've worked so hard to pay for? I don't understand that. I think the only reason people STILL play on GT is because those are the only servers filling up due to the spam-fest maps everyone enjoys oh so much. I think a 32 player limit is a little excessive, 16 is an ideal playing state in my opinion. Plus, less server limit more of your servers/other servers are being used. In my eyes, GT is just trying to control the whole server situation. If I had the money, I'd throw some servers up and I would guarantee you they would be just as played as GT due to the fact that 95 percent of the community dislikes GT admins. Now I'm sure Picasso will have some rant about me being banned and how I'm a "qtip headed lil' puke" but who cares. It's a typical thing from him. I'm simply stating my opinion, I don't care if you agree or not, but I guarantee you almost everyone will agree.

G'day.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 02:32:58 AM »
What you are saying this. Everyone.....?

I like playing paintball for free. I dont like things with stuff.

Right?

Be proactive not projective as you are experts...

My perspective...

Please move on to maps that will support this or work with what you got soldier and stop complaining. ok?

We can work together like gentlemen.

Thanks Guys!

grrr.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 07:36:57 AM »

Picasso I'd love it if you would be able to set all your pub servers to a max limit of 16 for say a week, just so we can gauge the effect of it and see what happens. Setting 2 to 16 wont tell us that much as the 32 limit ones will just stay crowded. Hoep you can get snipen to read this and hope he understands my point of view. If it turns out that all the GT servers are empty (i cant see how as then all servers will be 16 nearly, and people must play somewhere!) then they can be set back to 32.

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 09:20:01 AM »
or you can just do what i said and everything will work out lol.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »
@Y2J:Wow triple post....... all within 10 minutes too
Zero had a very good point maybe you guys could stop flaming each other and just take a look at other posts from those who are not saying anything offensive or whatever you want to call it.
You guys maybe for once you should go back pertending you're someone else that just stumbled upon this thread look at your selves like come on.
As I was saying before why not give some of these ideas a try for a while if you don't like how it's working after a while then change it back!
Really guys you honestly should think about some ideas from those of us who are not badgering you but instead you just go right back at those who are.
For those of you who are flaming those who are in GT you should stop complaining so much I know not all of you are but those who are flaming them should just stop PERIOD you are not getting anything done by flaming each other except as Jits said getting closer to getting yourselves to be banned really is that what you want or would you rather take the time to stop flaming and start getting things done.
I know I'm repeating myself but look at yourselves and what do you think both of you complain about flaming the thing you your self are doing.
By the way I no this wasn't the nicest post ever but I just wanted to get my point across btw nice to see you back Jits.