Author Topic: Submit game model ideas (56k)  (Read 71367 times)

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Submit game model ideas (56k)
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2007, 12:26:09 AM »
If the textures looked good, like if it was ridged like a dumpster would be and not flat like it is portrayed in cosmic3

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »
Spook...took a crack at a very low poly van.
184 faces

Obviously needs a good skin...
Source files in case anyone wants to take at stab at skinning this: http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/dp2models/van/

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
Hm.. I would really like some plants/flower models, but I think those would be better with the transparent texture method :-\

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2007, 02:03:08 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:12:17 AM by P!nk »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2007, 02:20:59 PM »
S8N that van is actually exactly what i was thinking of. A box-like van with a place to cap a stolen flag/money pack. I might actually pick up development of this map if models are made and i get help modeling it :D

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2007, 02:27:54 PM »
3ds, at the level of modeling required to make game model at the low poly level of DP2, is pretty easy.
You are going to work at the polygon level, mostly. I always start with a box, convert it to a mesh or poly, and use various extrude commands, or slicing planes, to add more geometry.

The beauty of 3ds, as far as I've seen of other modeling tools, is in its unwrapping abilities. The Unwrap UVW modifier allows you a great amount of control over your final skin.

As long as you have a good understanding of 3D space, get familiar with moving around the 3ds GUI, and understand the concept of unwrapping a model, you shouldn't have too difficult a time.

Remember, game mdeling at these low poly level is all about the face and the vertex. Unlike highpoly modeling, where you manipulate a lowpoly cage with a meshsmooth modifier on it to achieve the desired highpoly result.

Spook: If someone can paint the skins I'll see what I can do about knocking out what you have on that list. But if I take the time to make the models you better make the map.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »
I think I'll buy 3D Studio Max in the fall, and just add it to my student loans.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2007, 02:51:03 PM »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »
LOVE IT! Man, i gotta start making the layout again.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »
I think I'll buy 3D Studio Max in the fall, and just add it to my student loans.

Just torrent it :)

S8N you need to put some 20's on that truck :D

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
I think you can get GMax for free also.

I may do a full skin on that van tomorrow of I have time.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »
I went with SkateR's idea and made a 2004 Prostock Autococker.

I've made several tweaks since it's rendered, and there is still a lot more detail to add :D

Change up the grip frame a little, the part where your fingers wrap around looks weird. There are pneumatics than that( the thing under the barrel in the front ). What I think you should do is just model more up to date paintball guns, look into some of the bob long marqs, dye dm4-5-6-7 etc.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:12:06 AM by P!nk »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2007, 11:33:35 PM »
Just torrent it :)

Have you EVER seen a post where I act like I don't frown on piracy and torrenting?  Why steal from my own industry? I don't steal from the automotive industry... I have no problem spending a few grand a year on Adobe/Microsoft products, knowing that my licenses and conscience are clear.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:48 AM »
I hear you y00tz.

One problem I see, and a reason I, as a software developer, don't frown upon "evaluation software" is that some of these software titles are miles beyond what the average, young, nonworking, high school gamer can afford. How is a 15 year old suppose to learn 3D Studio Max when it costs over $3K? The trial is a joke compared to the real time it takes to learn to model. If anyone hopes to be competitive in the 3D market later on down the road they better start before they graduate high school. The talent is just that good. Then again, if all the kids want to do is make some fun models for a mod, what then? Sure, use a vastly inferior free modeler if you like. You'll get the job done. But having a copy of MAX would sure make life easier.

The company I work for, where I'm sitting as I write this, has licenses for MAX so I'm in a unique position. But I can't say I've never used a warez version of MAX. I had to, or I had to not use MAX at all.

Once i've come to the point to where I was going to try to make money from a particular piece of software I have always broke down and bought it, or got my boss to. I don't see anything wrong, relatively speaking, with learning to model with an "evaluation" copy of MAX. It's job security for Discreet, after all. I learn on MAX, I will probably try to work at a company that uses MAX. I know it's still wrong, but justifiably so ;)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »
Weeeee fun....

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
Sexiness.

Why aren't you making new weapons and models for the official release?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
Cause I don't really have the time...I have a little bitty bit of time right now.
Plus I have made some stuff (new revy hopper, etc...) but never got feedback or anything.
Plus Jitspoe is really picky and hard to please.
Plus I have offered a million times and Jitspoe says nothing like he just wants someone to go off and do it and if he likes it he'll put it in. I don't work like that. Potentially a lot of wasted time for nothing. If Jitspoe wanted me to make new models he should come to me and ask me to make new models.

I don't mind making these little easy models because they are easy, fast, and pretty much out of my hands once done. If this model pack is going to be public, not under the control of Jitspoe, then I will probably make a bunch more as time allows. If they get thrown in Jitspoe's lap, you can all but forget about 99% of them ever being used.

PS. I have paintball gun models already made that were for Q3PB and MVPB. A lot of work there that was for nothing. No reason we can't use some of those models here if they fit in.

PPS. If Jitspoe really wanted new gun models he would break down a list of what he wanted and be somewhat organized about it.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2007, 01:28:47 PM »
I need Spook's opinion on this so I can zip it up for GPL release.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »
it rocks my socks :D love it... only thing is you might want to take my name off the van just in case someone else wants to use it. Your choice though.