Author Topic: Submit game model ideas (56k)  (Read 71356 times)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Re: Submit game model ideas (56k)
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2007, 09:08:20 AM »
Definitely trees, vines, bushes.
Yeah we definitely need more of those.
By the way nice to see you back soggy been a while since I've seen a post by you.

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2007, 12:36:46 PM »
Definitely trees, vines, bushes.
Yeah we definitely need more of those.
By the way nice to see you back soggy been a while since I've seen a post by you.

lol thanks, there should be plants like these, these are already md2 models but i dont know how to use them in the bsp program

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2007, 08:11:40 PM »
Cause I don't really have the time...I have a little bitty bit of time right now.
Plus I have made some stuff (new revy hopper, etc...) but never got feedback or anything.
Plus Jitspoe is really picky and hard to please.
Plus I have offered a million times and Jitspoe says nothing like he just wants someone to go off and do it and if he likes it he'll put it in. I don't work like that. Potentially a lot of wasted time for nothing. If Jitspoe wanted me to make new models he should come to me and ask me to make new models.

I don't mind making these little easy models because they are easy, fast, and pretty much out of my hands once done. If this model pack is going to be public, not under the control of Jitspoe, then I will probably make a bunch more as time allows. If they get thrown in Jitspoe's lap, you can all but forget about 99% of them ever being used.

PS. I have paintball gun models already made that were for Q3PB and MVPB. A lot of work there that was for nothing. No reason we can't use some of those models here if they fit in.

PPS. If Jitspoe really wanted new gun models he would break down a list of what he wanted and be somewhat organized about it.
I am picky, true.  I did give you feedback on the revy, though.  There were some areas that needed to be hollowed out and not overlapping or something so it would work properly with transparency.  I don't really remember where that went.  I just remember highlighting some things in red to point out what needed to be changed.

The main problem, though, is that there's more to it than just you making a model and me putting it in the game.  Details like what the model should be need to be worked out, as well as approximate detail level (polygon count), etc., then going back and forth on what needs to be tweaked...  It's hard to be a project manager and a developer at the same time, especially when it's just in my (very limited) free time.  Also, before any new models get made, things like a level of detail system need to be implemented and some things need to be optimized, otherwise the new, high-polygon models will cause framerates to suffer on many machines.

In other words, I have to devote a lot of time to the issue, but it's not really my priority now.  Right now things like the global login system, dealing with cheaters, and faster file transfers are top priority, so I want to devote my efforts to those things until the models work their way up the priority list.  I'm not (intentionally) ignoring you.  I just can't do everything at once.

Back on the topic of feedback, it would be nice if you added a few more polygons to that van model (particularly around the wheels and wheel well).  Right now it looks like something that could be constructed with brush geometry, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a model.  It would make an excellent low LOD model, though, if/when that system is ever implemented, so don't ditch what you have.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2007, 12:07:35 AM »
Thanks for the move Jits, I always think stuff like this, that doesn't DIRECTLY relate to the game (i.e. in this case, just sort of modeling.)  should be placed in Other Stuff, so that I don't rape my post count by typing, short, feedback-filled messages.

There is a lot of pseudo-perfectionists ("8 or 80" really..), I really think a lot of the tweaks and criticism would be covered by the community before it even landed on your plate.

But SW, those trees look like the flat cardboard cut out trees we could make in BSP... I want to see something that takes advantage of all the axes, like my palm tree, except much, much, fewer polies.

Corporal Perez

• Stingray
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2007, 01:52:32 AM »
What do you use to make those models?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2007, 06:45:05 AM »
Jitspoe, I hear ya man.
I believe I made the revy changes, but as you said, game models (those not map added, that is) would take more thought and work, especially using the LOD system you had mentioned a looooong time ago.

Advice to modelers: Don't bother with guns, hoppers, etc... right now till Jitspoe turns his focus towards that area. Your models will end up sitting for a long time. If you feel compelled to model, do it for map included models that, like Jitspoe said, are beyond what can be made in the map editor itself, and that don't require/desire LODs of the model. Anything LOD inclusive could be a waste of time, or sit for a long time waiting on Jitspoe to get his priorities straight, quit work, and go DP2 full-time..

At just over 100 polygons I think that van is pretty good! It was built ultra low on purpose. LODs, starting with the current version as the low-poly version is completely doable. There has to be a LOD system in place first though. I would actually probably start over though. I have a method I've experimented with where the higher poly version is made and unwrapped first, then subsequent lower poly versions are unwrapped to match the layout of the higher poly version. This leaves all LODs using the same skin. Works good if its planned to work it from that angle from the start.

I'm on vacation right now so it will be another week and a half before i'm near any modeling tools.

I use 3D Studio Max 7.
I know i know it's old, but I haven't bothered to upgrade. We have the disks, just haven't gotten to it.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2007, 06:57:51 AM »
Advice to modelers: Don't bother with guns, hoppers, etc...

Haha, the only reason I even attempted some was for a pro-shop area that I was adding to a map.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2007, 11:46:54 AM »
I'll give you a dumpster once I finish fixing that annoying skin again.

SWSoggyWaffles

• Stingray
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
Thanks for the move Jits, I always think stuff like this, that doesn't DIRECTLY relate to the game (i.e. in this case, just sort of modeling.)  should be placed in Other Stuff, so that I don't rape my post count by typing, short, feedback-filled messages.

There is a lot of pseudo-perfectionists ("8 or 80" really..), I really think a lot of the tweaks and criticism would be covered by the community before it even landed on your plate.

But SW, those trees look like the flat cardboard cut out trees we could make in BSP... I want to see something that takes advantage of all the axes, like my palm tree, except much, much, fewer polies.

Those trees arent flat, they do take advantage of all the axes, it was just  bad screen shot. they look a lot better than they do in that pic

ashkenaz

• VM-68
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
i wanna see a lamborghini in orange (what do you use for making these again?)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
S8N uses 3ds studio, and yootz uses blender, I think.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2007, 07:58:11 AM »
No, y00tz uses wings3D.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »
Ah, well, I'm pretty sure he uses blender for exporting and rendering tho.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »
Is there a possibility, that people aren't able to walk through func_models. Maybe a server setting?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
Nope.

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2007, 01:02:59 PM »
The mapper could overlay a clip brush to stop people from walking through the func_model.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2007, 01:40:11 PM »
Yeah, but i can't do a clip brush in an ent file :'(

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2007, 03:08:16 PM »
Wow, that's pretty stupid. So even if we where to make nice models of cars etc.. for our maps, they players can run straight through them.

The only way around it I can see is to surround the model with clip brushes, havn't tried it though.

~MT

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »
:-\ What's wrong with using clip brushes to prevent that?

It would be nice to have solid models tho, but then models like the plant would become annoying.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
Solid models = better map format.  Vote for it in the feature vote.