Author Topic: My thoughts on Karma.  (Read 1528 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
My thoughts on Karma.
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:07 AM »
It's been a few months since the forum karma system has been removed.  This isn't a petition to restore karma, although I'd like to see it.   This is just a small analysis of the benefits that system had.

A lot of the complaints against karma were that a new user could join the forum, make 2 worthless posts, and within 20 minutes have a +0/-12 rating.

Plain and simple, that means the system works.

A user who has contributed nothing should have a negative rating, the lowest of ratings.  Once this newbie user starts posting legitimate content, people will change their ratings toward them.

The more forum newbies go around posting junk, the more junk gets pushed into their karma.

I believe the rating system promotes good posts.
When newbies strive to attain a high karma, they'll work harder on their posts.  I know Soldier once had a +0/-10, then he began asking how to raise it, so we gave him pointers.  When he started following it our suggestions got a few pluses.  Because of karma we turned Soldier into a useful forum member, who doesn't post random stuff every 15 seconds.

There were some who claimed they didn't care about their karma, and it was reflected.  People with very few +'s and a lot of -'s, clearly post worthless criticism or unnecessary personal flames.  Can you think of anyone recently banned with a 'good' karma?  I can think of a few banned recently with notably bad karma.

Too much on forums do people think, 'hey, they have a high post count, they must be someone too listen too'  This is not always the case, more so on this forum then others I belong to.  A karma rating adds validity to posts made by posters.

What if you posted an idea in the feature request forum, and a person with a bad karma said it was bad, what would you think?  It's obvious they criticize a lot, and therefore you shouldn't be discouraged by their post.  And on the flipside, someone with a +0/-50 rating who tells you they like their idea means more probably, than someone with a +5/-5 who probably gives a superfluous amount of compliments .

I don't know why I posted this, other than to note that the karma system was something that I thoroughly enjoyed using as a reference when I was newer, and I'm sorry to have seen it go.

Cheers,
y00tz.

*will edit for grammar, content, and y00tzisms later.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: My thoughts on Karma.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
+

Oh, wait. That's gone. Yeah, I agree, for the most part. The one downside is something like Skater's case, where he tries to get a negative karma. Personally, I think at that point, banning is a pretty good action.
I don't think that someones opinion should be entirely regarded or disregarded based on their karma, but that is something that'll come into play.

I think that maybe, if karma were to come back, people should be able to vote for a week or two without the actual karma values being displayed, just to get a baseline for each user before the karma is pushed in.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:42:02 AM »
I agree, altough I always had the same amount of positive, than negative :(

play3r1

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
I liked your 4th of July map, could you do one for my birthday?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »
Wow, way to keep the conversation on topic.

PS: And dont give me the 'ITS OTHER STUFF' speech.

play3r1

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 08:08:40 AM »
Wow, way to keep the conversation on topic.

PS: And dont give me the 'ITS OTHER STUFF' speech.

Ok, sorry about that. But how can I keep anything on-topic when I haven't even read anything on this topic?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 08:16:05 AM »
The karma system doesn't work.
It would work if everyone was honest about their ratings (an older, more mature, community), but that's not the case.
It becomes a popularity contest at best.
People will + anyone they like regardless of post content, and minus those they don't like otherwise.
In confession, I gave a minus to everyone, almost all the time, regardless of anything to do with anything.
Was I wrong, sure, but the system doesn't work, proof.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 10:19:13 AM »
Ok, sorry about that. But how can I keep anything on-topic when I haven't even read anything on this topic?
Read the thread before posting?
The smart thing would have been searching his flag thread, and posting it there.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »

Send me a private message (PM) next time.
Up at the top where it says something like:
Hey, playe3r1, you have 922 messages, 0 are new.
Click that and address the message to me then type and send.

Cheers,
y00tz

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »
Or click his name to view his profile, and click on "Send a Personal Message".

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 02:23:20 PM »