Author Topic: new map: crossroads  (Read 5827 times)

Pimp

new map: crossroads
« on: April 18, 2005, 01:36:14 AM »
again times i like to show you my new map
crossrods99.bsp
its not really good prepared but I would be pleased if you can give me a feedback also to this map

thank u

D@WN

• PGP
Re: new map: crossroads
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 01:51:44 AM »
is it nice?

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:40:13 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:18:41 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 10:50:58 AM »
That map is a start towards being a decent mapper.
DT is saying that because you're taking after him and misspelling the map filenames. ;)

Oh, nevermind -- the typo is just in the link text, not the actual filename.  I'll check it out when I get home.

Sanchez

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:08:28 PM »
I dont know anything about mapping so i cant judge on all that stuff, but i think its abit sexy, better than that other one you did that i downloaded from the MeMi server (forgot the name)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 02:55:27 PM »
Also you may want to consult some online tutorials to find out how to get your r_speeds down.

Or, you could VIS your level.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »
Ok, it's certainly an improvement, but it has some serious issues in that, somehow, it appears it isn't VIS'd at all.  You can look at a solid wall and have rspeeds over 1000.  To get a better idea of what's going on, type:
deathmatch 0
map crossroad99
gl_showtris 1

Ouch.  It's drawing the entire level regardless of where you are.  This means that all entities are visible as well.  I started getting MSG overflows and couldn't move or even respawn -- that makes the map unplayable, really.  It must be fixed before you release it.

Aside from that:
Pros
- Center wall is pretty good.  It has a natural and unique shape to it.
- The ramps and bridges are a nice touch -- should make for some fun over and under style gameplay.
- Tunnel crossing between the two paths to provide some variety in gameplay.
- Little details like the fences, and some nice terrain work in those areas.
- Some unique bunkers.
- You actually aligned the sideways barrel textures!

Cons
- It looks like you're trying to do a night theme with the darker map and lights all over, but you have a daytime sky.  Perhaps you should use pbsky3 instead.
- lollipop trees.  I'm sorry, but these just look bad and ruin the atmosphere for me.
- Crates are halfway in the wall in some places.
- Some small gaps in the brushwork here and there.
- Really bright light under some of the bunkers for no apparent reason.  If you want to light the bunkers, I suggest using some of the small light textures.  Sourceless light just looks strange.
- Unrealistic texture usage: you have planked boards used for the fence, which doesn't really make sense. :)  Using a solid woodgrain texture would be better.  Also, rotate the textures so the grain goes along the length of the brushes.  Oh, and one of the ladder rungs in the base uses a crate texture.
- Plain, flat walls in the base area.  The center wall looked good -- you should continue that style throughout the whole map.
- Only one entrance to the base.  There are several paths around the center of the map, but it all still boils down to a single entrance into the base area.

Keep at it.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 04:26:17 PM »
Ok, it's certainly an improvement, but it has some serious issues in that, somehow, it appears it isn't VIS'd at all. You can look at a solid wall and have rspeeds over 1000. To get a better idea of what's going on, type:
deathmatch 0
map crossroad99
gl_showtris 1

- lollipop trees. I'm sorry, but these just look bad and ruin the atmosphere for me.

What do you suggest he do? We can't make better trees.
(DON'T LISTEN TO HIM HERE!)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 06:55:34 PM »
You can, but... most brush-based trees look like crap, so I would avoid them entirely.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 10:20:26 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:18:38 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Pimp

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 02:13:00 AM »
oh thank u guys, with your advices I can do naturally good progressed

1. -the most difficult thing i think, is to manipulate a vertex, does a help exist or something like that?
2. -and for the lighting i found out that i need also a _sun_ambient for a nice look.
3. -the little things I've done badly, i will do more exactly ;)
4. -and to get my r_speeds down, i will look for a tutorial, but i don't really understand complicated technical terms, like I've said, I'm swiss....

going for next map.... :D :D :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 03:34:11 PM »
1.  Vertex manipulation doesn't work very well for brushes because they have to be convex.  You should learn how to use the carve and split tools (shift+right click to set points, then click on the carve or split icons).  It's like slicing a piece of cheese with a knife -- you can make all kinds of cool shapes with very little effort.  Once you learn these tools, there's little need for anything else.
2.  Were you using sun lighting at all in this map?  Check out http://www.planetquake.com/arghrad for the manual on arghrad.
3.  Good. :)  Always a good idea to have people review your maps before releasing anything.
4.  Well, the first thing you need is VIS.  I'm guessing your level leaked or something.  I wasn't aware that arghrad would even work on an unvised level, but it appears it does.  This is critical.  As your map stands right now it can't be played.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 07:27:49 PM »
4. Jits is lying. He just thinks that no computer should ever have to undergo the terror of... 1500 POLYS!!!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
It's not playable because everyone will lag freeze and get msg overflows because all ents in the level are being sent to the clients all the time.

Besides, it's not the polycount that's the framerate killer somuch as the overdraw.  My framerate drops below 20 in some areas, when it's usually over 100 in properly compiled maps.  It exceeds 10,000 polygons, btw.  + ~600 for each player on there, even if they aren't visible, which really isn't acceptable.

Please don't encourage bad mapping practices, eiii.  Vis is there for a reason.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 09:45:31 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:18:35 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Pimp

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 05:36:39 AM »
can you give me some easy helps that i can hold rpoly or whatever down?
and how can I make a wall that jits can look at a the solid wall and he hasn't rspeeds over 1000?
aaand whats VIS? i can export the map with something like vis.. you mean that one?

and please answer in a easy understandable language  ::)  ;D  ;D

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 10:20:55 AM »
Is this map based on the CrossRoads map for Socom 2 ? (Play Station 2 Online Game)
If so Sweet, I was having the same idea for several maps from Socom 2 Online.

-Termin8oR

Pimp

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 11:33:45 AM »
never, i don't know this game, it's my imagination  ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 12:29:04 PM »
Pimp: Do this:

Export | qbsp

See if it says "*** Leaked ***".  If it does, you need to seal any holes in your map.  To find where these are, go to File | Leak Check | Load (.pts).  Select crossroad99.prt or whatever the extension is (don't recall offhand).  This will draw a line from the closest entity to the hole in your map.  Repeat this process untill all leaks are fixed.

Compile with final compile.

Pimp

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 02:17:44 AM »
I've done it, but there was no LEAKED. and is it very important to compile it with final compile? because that needs more than a half day....