Author Topic: General Development  (Read 4888 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
General Development
« on: April 18, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »
Since more people are expressing interest in helping out with development, I thought it would be good to have a forum category designated to it. 

I've also set up a developer area on the wiki:
http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~digitalpaint/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Developer+Area

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: General Development
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 02:31:22 PM »
Jitspoe is there any chance of making a private developement area so we can discuss ideas and internally critique some of the more major work in private?

It would just keep the unrelated and nonconstructive comments and remarks out of the loop.

This is actually a direct request from Rob. I think it might be a good idea so as not to get comments on early developement work from those that don't "understand" what WIP means.

Give it some thought.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:18:32 PM »
We had this at one point, but it never got used.  Actually, I wonder what happened to it.  I guess it got lost in the transition from YaBB to SMF.

I'd kind of like to have development more community-driven.  If you make an exclusive forum, you limit your feedback to just the (very few) people who have access to the forum.  It'd be one thing if there were thousands of people visiting and posting every day, but here?  Well... I wish we had that problem. :)  There are few enough posts that off-topic ones can easily be ignored.

Having open discussions about development also (hopefully) stirs interest and gets more people involved.  If you want private conversations, there's always the paintball dev channel (which also doesn't get used). :)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 11:22:30 PM »
s8n how dare you. If you have an opinion to share dont be shy. We are in one.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:36:38 PM »
In one what?  An opinion?

p.s. Spell Check. :)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 06:28:23 AM »
Yes, we are in a forum. No, we are not in a "private" forum.

If Ford designed and create thier next family SUV publicly you would have a bunch of rednecks saying "*hick* mike eet uh trook" <--redneck lingo alert...and a bunch of wanna-be slim shadys saying, "drop it down and put ground effects on it, biatch."

The point of closed developement is for the "designers" (ya know the people that know what the intercourse they're talking about) to work, undesturbed, to a certain point before the ignorant are allowed to view the creation, and/or voice opinion, on the subject.

Most of you just don't understand a 3D model, or how to appreciate and critisize it through developement. Most of you don't know how to see the shape and visualize the skin wrapped around it. Most of you don't know how to view the polygons at the movable joints and visually determine it's animatabilty. These are things a person with years of training, or a rare artistic gift, has. And at this stage in developement that is what is needed, not, "it sucks i like the old model better."

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 11:47:14 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:35:25 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 06:17:34 PM »
Iron,
   Are you the four people then, that can come up with fun ideas to make the game better?  Thats just silly and hurtfull at the same time.  Good one lass.

Let me say this, most games have a beta testers help streamline the game for public consumption. I was honored to be on q2 WOD beta team and a Beta tester for TeamAMD 64 bit servers for America's Army 1.7 and 2.0

As I mentioned before thinking / programming is not my forte, killing as many as I can as quick as I can is.

I do have a college degree however I don't need to become a game designer to know what is fun after spending over 4000+ hours since 2000 trying to help "newbies" learn and helping developers any way I think I can.

Let me add to what s8n mentioned about letting the public dictate what they want. First of all funny analogy but slightly flawed, the consumer most always dictates what its willing to spend time and / or  money on . Now with that said yes S8n your correct in doing the higher details of programming without interuption from what ironpoop considers persons of less mental capacity.

Iron,
 You might be grow up smart, rich have good friends and fall in love, I wish this upon everyone.

Until then remember your place in the world of paintball, with my balls sprayed over your face!!!

Oh and BTW stop hacking, wait never mind , its in your nature to do the wrong thing. j/k

Good luck devolper!!!  aka Judge Elihu Smails jk

*edit   WILL YOU TEACH LOIAL TO PAINTBALL?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:00:59 PM by loial21 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 06:51:40 PM »
  Iron,
You might be grow up smart, rich have good friends and fall in love, I wish this upon everyone.

Until then remember your place in the world of paintball, with my balls sprayed over your face!!!
hahaha

tom v

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 10:13:04 PM »
Yes, we are in a forum. No, we are not in a "private" forum.

If Ford designed and create thier next family SUV publicly you would have a bunch of rednecks saying "*hick* mike eet uh trook" <--redneck lingo alert...and a bunch of wanna-be slim shadys saying, "drop it down and put ground effects on it, biatch."

HAHAHA OWNED! Rofl, that was great. And I kinda like it all being out in the open o.O