Author Topic: Safe to say Revival? DP re-incarnation?  (Read 2546 times)

Trust.Co

• PGP
Safe to say Revival? DP re-incarnation?
« on: December 09, 2002, 10:25:20 AM »
hello out there,

i'm not sure how to put it, but this is regarding the life of dp.

don't any of you remember what it felt like to have a game that was alive, and thriving?  to have D.P. clans that matched on a regular basis, and plenty of servers that people could play on? and even the league DPL... what the hell happened to this?

We need a revival of some sort, and i know people have tried this before, nobody ever follows through...

something needs to change or happen.

There are some clans coming back to life, matching more and more... and thats a start.

Any ideas?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Safe to say Revival? DP re-incarnation?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 12:29:43 PM »
Basically it all comes down to this:
-Not enough active good players to create and populate good clans.

Not that there is a lack of good players, just that few of them are willing to dedicate themselves to a clan.

Also we're at a time when many of the better leaders are out of the game now, and the organized dedicated members with great leadership qualities aren't stepping up or the wrong players are taking the leadership roles.
I'm available most of the time if anyone wants advise on organizing a clan, just drop me a message on IRC. I've got some good ideas that come from experiences with the clans I've led over the past 2-3 years and valuable stuff I've observed from my past leaders and leaders of other clans.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 06:31:17 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:23:54 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 10:42:10 AM »
I believe, with a stand alone release, it's quite possible for some expansion in the community. However, I doubt the capability of a strong "revival." This great, undiscovered game will continue along its steady lifespan.. gradually decreasing in popularity...

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 12:58:50 PM »
The problem is, of the few players that remain, none of them visit the forums or IRC.  Both of these places need more publicity.

I figure, something to breathe life into the mod-- a massive clan drafting, followed by a league.

Also, Jitspoe needs to remove the splash screen that has greeted us since beta 5-- the one that shows up once the map loads.  This hides the MOTD, which means that there's just no way to make announcements to the players.

MeRL

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 07:44:42 PM »
I'll agree with bain about the leadership roles...i'v been in charge of a few clans for the past 3 years and i found that in general, the younger the players are that are playing this, the more immature it gets because players are constantly complaining and complaining and so on. When Bain and myself were in charge of sP, it was great because there were barely any arguments in servers and everyone liked each other...now it's not so much a game to play for fun vs other online FRIENDS...it's a game where clans hate each other. That basically explains why i refused to be leader of DSC or anything close to it when i joined them. I'm still with DSC even though they are idle but i only play with a clan of people that have been around for a while and are mature enough to simply play the game without complaining that they weren't ready or what other lame ass comments that constantly slip through. I don't believe it's possible to revive it to how it used to be with people such as: Redeagle, crash, rain, borgus, punisher, antilles(debatable for some) and many more that i can name if i really reflect on it. Those are just names of people that come to mind immediatly. I'd love to see DP going strong again because it's a great game...when the right people are playing it. feel free to comment either way about what i said. not like it'll offend me cuz i rarely care much.  :P

Trust.Co

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 08:57:42 AM »
Hello again,
Now, I've been around for a while... some of you may know me, and most of you probably don't really like me  :P I was in DOM, and sP, and other small clans... and now i reside in snowstorm.  Whoever does know me, probably would know the name patriot.  Anyways, through all the clans i've seen, i've noticed that matching is a very large part in wether they stay alive/active.

there are clans like eR33t (which i think very highly of) that match when asked, and its great that they match 3v3.  There just needs to be MORE clans like them... and now, I only see 2, or 3 out there...

#Team_eR33t
#Team_TnL
#vsn
#snowSTORM

I've seen enough members in each of these clans to have AT LEAST 3v3...  leaders need to start matching regularly again...

All of this, all the small things will help

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 06:59:49 PM »
You were in DOM?  Who the hell are you?! =)

The reason for the slow death of the DP clan scene was that as the oldies, like myself, retired, there wasnt any new blood of similar quality or potential (or maturity) to replace them.  So then things just got out of control and went downhill from there.  After years of that, its hard to just revive the scene.

The only way i can see that seriously happening is if V2.0 has a LOT of new stuff to it and there are regular, significant updates thereafter.  Also more good servers would help (i know this was always a problem.)  Then there is a reason for people who have never played before to check it out, while at the same time bringing back the some of the oldies and keeping them.