Author Topic: Objective-based Maps and a Race Map  (Read 1128 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Objective-based Maps and a Race Map
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:57:33 AM »
I've been thinking about two map ideas:

First, I'm talking about objective-oriented maps like you find in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and others. I figure it can be done given what we have. To start off, it can't be a siege map because the teams switch and players stay eliminated. A normal CTF could do. The defending team would have to get *one* flag point so if the time runs out they will win. The flag could be blocked after the first point (potentially activated by the flag bearer falling into a trigger). The point needs to be triggered right as soon as possible so the defending team can't end the round as they please (for servers with flagcapsendround 1). The opposing team can perform tasks (and set off triggers) to finally unblock the flag. The flag would earn them 50+ points to win the level.

I am not so sure about multiple spawn points that are removed as objectives are advanced, except short of a func_train unblocking a teleport. The only problem with multiple spawn points is getting the defending team flag to trigger ASAP.

That across, I'm not sure how well it would play with the limitations and the type of gameplay Paintball enjoys, but that's my two cents. :P

Then, there is the race map. At the end of a long path, there would be a flag that would earn 50+ points to win. So that one team can't get a head start and have no way to lose, there could be camping areas around so that newly spawned players can camp upon those later in the track. =P

And there are my ideas.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Objective-based Maps and a Race Map
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:42:00 AM »
Something as complex as your first proposal is near-impossible. As you said, there are no dynamic spawn points, which would be a pretty big problem in the first place. Next, the trigger system is also fairly limited in a certain regard- there's no way to have triggers react to only one team, which could cause some problems.

The race one just sounds like a team-based jump map. Icky.

We really need more good conventional maps as opposed to crazy crazy crazy pseudo-objective based maps. Or jump maps.
Or box maps.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Objective-based Maps and a Race Map
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 08:41:23 AM »
Something as complex as your first proposal is near-impossible. As you said, there are no dynamic spawn points, which would be a pretty big problem in the first place.

Next, the trigger system is also fairly limited in a certain regard- there's no way to have triggers react to only one team, which could cause some problems.

Dynamic spawn points *are* possible, like I already explained. It just takes some creative thinking. The lack of team identification would be troublesome though.

The race one just sounds like a team-based jump map. Icky.

Barely a jump map. Sure, you may be able to bunny hop, but that's really it.

We really need more good conventional maps as opposed to crazy crazy crazy pseudo-objective based maps. Or jump maps.
Or box maps.

Well if someone has the time, they can feel free to try something new.