Author Topic: Improvement in the community will not happen just from an awareness campaign  (Read 4053 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
If we ever hope to improve the community it must be more than an awareness campaign.

We don't have the ability to reach every member to even have our case heard. Most are not on the forums or on IRC. 

However, some sensible rules on flaming/abuse within game would make this possible.

It would work in a similar way to the cheat system now. People could submit demo's of over the top abuse and it could be reviewed by a panel of Jitspoe's choosing, much as the current forum mods do for communication here.  IP comparison etc. could be used.

Winning hearts and minds is the ideal.  But it won't hurt to put some baseline restrictions.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:02:06 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:11:04 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
What do you suggest as "baseline restrictions?"

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
What do you suggest as "baseline restrictions?"  There are lots of little things people do that can aggravate people, but many of them aren't what I'd consider ban worthy -- not global bans, anyway.  I'm hoping having a client side filter (enabled by default) would help cut down on a lot of the in-game flaming.  Perhaps spam auto-ignore as well, and just a more prominent ignore feature (with drop-down context menus from the scoreboard).

m7feettall

• Autococker
What do you suggest as "baseline restrictions?"  There are lots of little things people do that can aggravate people, but many of them aren't what I'd consider ban worthy -- not global bans, anyway.  I'm hoping having a client side filter (enabled by default) would help cut down on a lot of the in-game flaming.  Perhaps spam auto-ignore as well, and just a more prominent ignore feature (with drop-down context menus from the scoreboard).

I think just over the top stuff like constant rape references or racist comments etc. is bad for the game.

If you can work out a filter that might work. Or they could just be decided on a case by case basis with demo's.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
There could be a "Dp Court"   

:D

you know that I'm getting at.

KrayZie

• PGP
I agree that an awareness campaign isn't going to be enough to get this community heading in the right direction... but it's a start. I can recall that when the first beta of this mod was released... there really wasn't much verbal abuse... a few bad eggs here and there but they either left the game or grew up. We cannot change the fact that this mod's fanbase has increased over the years and because of that it has attracted some players with egos (I really would like to use some other words but it's pointless). I myself left the game for a while and it wasn't just because of some bad seeds within the community. I've always popped in from time to time and only recently have I begun playing again and I don't think I have been in a single public game without someone flaming or verbally abusing someone. For me, personally, I know you can't stop people from doing that... but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to join them as well. I just hope that one day those who flame will realize that it's really just retarded and pointless but I think that might be wishful thinking  :-\ Anyways, it's up to every individual that plays this game to decide what kind of community they want like Xile mentioned in his post. Power to the people, right? Well, keep up the good work jits, the mod really has come a long way and I for one am grateful for everything you have done for and provided to us.

Moe_Lester

• Stingray
If you guys cant stand the name calling over a game i cant image you guys in real life

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:10:37 AM by Dirty_Taco »

y00tz

• Autococker
i cant image you guys in real life either

Eiii can, well he imaged Jitspoe in Portland at least..!

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
If you guys cant stand the name calling over a game i cant image you guys in real life

Best statement yet.

coLa

• Autococker
/ignore #

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:10:27 AM by P!nk »

stacy

• PGP
well i think u should get at least 1 warring the best 2 for kicking a person to filter racial slurs and cursing should is  impolite i think for all. 

KrayZie

• PGP
I'm not saying I cant stand the name calling... i really could care less about it and I ignore half the conversations in a server anyways... I'm just getting sentimental about the good old days of this mod...

loial21

• Autococker
I look above and I sigh.

Right is right. Wrong is wrong.

You currently read these letters that are words, because of this. Think.

How can I defend wrong?

I do every day I play here with you.

Its wrong to be nice.

Its wrong to show compassion.

Its wrong to be single faceted.

Its wrong to show humility.

Its wrong to respect and honor your enemies.

Its wrong to show your love.

What the intercourse is wrong with this world? Its Loial. Do ra mi muther intercoursers.

Prosper

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:10:17 AM by Dirty_Taco »

y00tz

• Autococker
Sweet Jehovah Loial, you've got me so confused all the time.

Eiii

• Autococker
OH GOD, HE'S REVERTING TO OLD LOIAL!

Apocalypse

• Autococker
/ignore #
I have ignore all bound lol.