Author Topic: I wish...  (Read 6598 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
I wish...
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »
DISCLAIMER***********

This post may piss some people off. Specifically some people that I communicate with everyday. To you guys/girls I can only say that you must understand that I am a developer, as a developer I always look to change (hopefully to improve, but...). I know the following statements will directly disagree with some of your philosophies, but if we all agreed this would be a utopia.

END DISCLAIMER*******

I wish, when we change over to the new model format and redo all the models and skins, that pb2 is upgraded to beta or alpha2 or something, and support for all previous versions of the game is eliminated.

I know there are some people that like the Quake2 version, or like version that date back or whatever, but I think the time has come to move on.

For one thing this could eliminate all current cheats. It may start a new line of cheats, but all the old Quake2 cheats would be gone. Wouldn't this be nice? I wonder how many players would quit or become really lame players if these wallhacks and cheats were eliminated? I relish the day that these players are shrunk to the low-life scum that they are.

But some people claim to like the "feel" of the older versions. I say, "too bad." Software goess through evolutionary changes. Get used to it or go play something else. We happen to be dealing with very old, yet very modified, technology here.

And, not meaning to piss anyone off with this one, but Jitspoe spends HIS valuable time to continually evolve his game. That's right, HIS game. He has been on the developement team since the beginning. He was the modeler, skinner, texturer, and every other artistic thing you see in the game. He has developed himself into an accomplished programmer, and has taken on the task of continuing PB2. It's pretty much HIS game. Does he do this for himself? Maybe so. Does he do it cause he gets a certain ammount of fame and recognition from it? Maybe so. But the fact is HE DOES IT. And he listens to the community (if your suggestions or comments are resonable). I don't care how much money ANY of you spend on this game, you don't come close to being close to the monetary value Jitspoe could place on his work. If he was a contract programmer @ $100/hr, or an employed programmer @ $40/hr (both of which are not outrageous wages), and you calculated the hours he's put into this game, you could see that NONE of you put anything near what he puts in to this game.

And just because you've been playing this game since Day-1 does not mean that Jitspoe OWES you anything.

Jitspoe,
I plead to you to plan a strategy to eliminate support for all previous versions of PB2 and move us on into a new age with the coming of the new game updates.

Those that cheat will leave or suck, those that truely love this game, and appreciate your work, will stay and learn the new machine.

Will that make the game perfect? No. But a new beginning is sometimes good to shake the vermin out of the trees.

LET'S ELIMINATE THE CHEATERS (at least some of them, for a while at least).

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:18:17 AM by Dirty_Taco »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: I wish...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 04:11:15 PM »
I'm with Keith and Pierce on this one.

Get rid of past version support.  Cut it's head off.  Eliminate that part of the past.

Chris

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 05:47:26 PM »
Yeah...

I'm sick of people that use Quake2.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 03:51:20 PM »
Im sick of people getting sick. :)

I do perfer q2 version, but if that means no more cheating....kill it. Great mod ill miss it!!

***edit

S8n ..."can o' worms"

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 04:19:36 PM »
Why do you prefer the quake2 version?

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 06:18:39 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:35:54 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
I wish for 300 ball hoppers, auto-spawn cockers on a map with no obstructions, low-gravity, grapple hook, jetpacks and scanners (WoD mod) to start with.

Jitspoe I am just hard headed about what i like sorry bro, nothing personal. Alpha14 and all your work is superior.

I like using q2 because of reasons said in past.

1. Game Spy access.
I know its a weak excuse but it offers so much more (for right now (winks)) than the Alpha.

2. Paintball flight and death animation.
Again i don't know who did the original animations for q2 deaths but its is alto more obvious in q2 when someone dies. I dint need to explain the importance of this. This also ties in to paintball flight, often I find my self doubting the balls flight. Again I remind yall, the amount of hours spent playing this game. It just throws me off ever so slightly, my apology for being supercritical.

3. I can't connect to all servers running DigitalPaintball using Alpha.

Ironfirst, I missed understood you, did you just condone cheating? :)

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 07:36:25 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:35:43 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:51:41 PM »
Just point gamespy to paintball2.exe instead of quake2.exe and it'll work for the standalone (same for ASE and any other server browser I've tried).  The ball flight is done on the server side.  It doesn't matter what client you're using.  Death animations should be resolved with the new player model.  Come build 15 you shouldn't have anything to complain about. :)

Back to the original subject: Contrary to popular belief, I'm not trying to force my Nazi reign of alpha terror down everyones throats as I've often been accused of.  I've actually spent a lot of time trying to ensure backwards compatibility with each new version.  I want to make the game better, but while it's still heavy in development, I don't intend to force people to use stuff that's still "in-progress."

Though with the soon coming releases, it may not be possible, regardless of how hard I try, to maintain compatibility.  For one, if we start using new weapons and multiple player models, Quake2 users are going to be stuck with a bunch of white diamonds and missing sounds/textures.  For two, a complete network protocol rewrite might be in order to allow for better, rate-controlled entity updates, compression, better prediction, and the like.

My primary concern is getting the servers to all update.  Graffiti still hasn't updated from 1.7x, which is over a year old.  It's still 100% compatible with Quake2 and there's no logical reason not to upgrade, but it still sits there... what will happen when a new server update comes out that will not work with any of the old clients?  If the server admins refuse to update, it's rather pointless...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:04:02 PM by jitspoe »

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:35:30 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 06:15:26 PM »

Just point gamespy to paintball2.exe instead of quake2.exe"
What about my other q2 MODS!!!!! I have very little knowledge on what your asking me to do.  Sorry   :-[

[quoteI'm not trying to force my Nazi reign of alpha terror down everyones throats as I've often been accused of.]
   is equal to   
It's still 100% compatible with Quake2 and there's no logical reason not to upgrade, but it still sits there...

Untill you have changed models, guns ....etc ..Other than a reign of NAZI alpha terror I dont see an excuse . It was on 13 why not 14?

Thanks for your attention to this matter. Btw more than half this community plays on graf, just thought to  be reminding  ye :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »
Quake2 mods will be a problem, so I would suggest getting another program, say ASE or HLSW, and you could use one for paintball and another for quake2.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 10:09:49 PM »
All my friends that play pb and q2 mods and aao use game spy.

thanks for the stalemate

Those of us honest players do not deserve this. We dont cheat, we dont lie and we respect everyones opinion.

Yes I take this personally. sorry bro :)

Life is a booger no?

have a great work week

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 11:30:04 PM »
Don't deserve what?  Being forced to use better graphics? :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 05:32:05 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 09:23:11 PM »
Very funny. ;)

No i dont mind playing alpha , i have shown this .  LOL  u silly programmer/savant u

Sorry, let me rephrase..

I feel cheated out of my online dp experince not your fault directly. As logic goes, if (not if ) you put so much work into makeing this game backwards compatable why regress on the server list.  We both know that Snipen refuses to update ok so what? 

Alot of honest, good people play there, now we cant use alpha there?

OK back to topic.

This is getting old. My point as in other thread is still one of ignorance sorry. :)   

I wish for my old q2 crosshair back.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 10:15:51 PM »
Then copy pball/pics/ch#.pcx from the quake2 directory to the paintball2 directory. :) (# being the crosshair number you use).

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »
Figured that at out thanks.

Must I?

Thanks Grand Dragon. <<<< (j/k)  :)

My next wish is for a custom interface in options, so I dont have to use the console, in regards to anyhting that can be binded. This is a huge draw back to honest but ignorant players.

I also wish find the bind to the scope feature.

Alot of newbies wish for a faq/tutorial on jumping. Perhaps even a demo ;)

Lastly I am careful for what I wish for. It can be done with out harm to the future release.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 08:44:02 AM »
I don't know why you want a scope feature, but just make one an alias.

www.planetquake.com/console