Author Topic: I wish...  (Read 6594 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: I wish...
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 09:50:29 AM »
Jit,

here's what you need to do.

Make the next server and client code incompatible with the current versions out there.  It will divide the dp community a bit but they'll get over it. CS has done it SEVERAL times with no backlash.

The new client and server side packages might include a phone home feature for new updates.

I post this not to piss off those that continue to use q2, but for those that are stifling the software advancement of the mod.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 10:44:50 AM »
CS also has thousands of servers so they can pull something like that off.  If there's a split in the community, people will still have hundreds of servers to choose from, whatever side they pick.  We only have a small handful, most of which take forever to update, so if a new version came out, people who downloaded it wouldn't be able to play anywhere because the servers wouldn't be updated, and server admins wouldn't update because most clients wouldn't have the new version, and nobody would play on their server.

Of course, it could work the other way around and everybody would update, but if history is any kind of indication, that would not be the case.

LAN@wasted

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 12:02:41 PM »
I have to agree with Jitspoe on that topic. Imagine how many players are still using CS 1.5 :)

And also, we already have a problem with the backwards compatibility to Quake2:
As my Clan is renting a server on a gameserver provider, we have to use Quake2 and paintball as a mod. If I'm right, this is not possible with version14 (server version 1.81) anymore. That means we cannot upgrade our server, thus wont show up on the new serverlist, which gives trouble to some people. Although most people I know use ASE or HLSW (and with Gamespy Arcade its also possible), some "oldschoolers) might find it harder to access our server, as well as the Graffitiy Servers. If you want to go away from Quake2, this means we will most likely stay on version13 as we are now, although I've been talking to those folks to make it possible for us to have the new client running on their servers, no response yet.

On the other hand I know hacks have become a more severe problem in the past months. Just this week I saw another speedhacker, and left the server, cuz its just no fun to play with these folks, it destroys the whole game. Deleting these hacks off the game will therefore an important step for this game, however it will be done.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 03:22:29 PM »
Well there you have it.
Maintain backwards compatability and please the hackers, or chop off the head of the chicken and please the good honest players that have been a part of this community since the dawn of creation when the paint was fresh and the painters were plenty in a land of battlefield & koth where spray was a deotorant and the men were judged my the ability to slaughter thy foe in a war that went on for decades throughout the kingdom in an appocoliptic jesture of remorse and faith strung tightly by dignity in the face of thine enemy hath thou cometh down upon our land and bringeth forthth yourith haxithth.

Father into your hands, I commend my spirit. Why have you forsaken me. WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN....MEEEEEEE

Argh all that LSD in my younger years is catching up with me....the pretty colors...ooooooooooooo00000000

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 05:08:07 PM »
Paintball2 still has compatibility with the Q2 game dll, so the paintball2 dll should work fine with Quake2.  If it's a Linux server, I'll have to compile it with an old version of gcc, though, because of byte alignment or some such garbage (this is why I hate developing on Linux).  Unfortunately Quake2 has some security holes and potential stability problems, so it would certainly be preferable to use the standalone paintball2 executable, but if you can't, you can't.  For now that will be OK, but in the future, things like compressed network protocols, enhanced physics, fast file downloads, etc. will make using the standalone on the server much more preferable.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 08:11:17 PM »
 I wished untill q2 is not compatable to allow all servers on the list alas ... s8n I am a good honest player i dont wish to loose q2 but if it means no more cheating then kill it, but untill then WTF is the harm of allowing old builds on the server list during the automated proccess? :)

I would really consider making 15 server list automated and backwards compatable to q2, untill you get rid of it If I were you, but then again I also dropped 10 hits of acid a day in sumemr of 90 on a dare. NO WEED that summer :(   Dryest tiem of my life

According to Lan it sounds like they are getting the a raw deal because of cheaters, with that said "FEEL MY FREAKING PAIN!!!!

Like I said its a fun mod no matter the version, I am here to kill not stare and the enchanced graphics. Its a shame a handful of cheaters can control the devolpers actions not vise versa.

Global accounts would help fight the spam.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 10:33:19 PM »
Why would you be able to use Q2 and not DP?

LAN@wasted

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 04:32:35 AM »
Paintball2 still has compatibility with the Q2 game dll, so the paintball2 dll should work fine with Quake2. If it's a Linux server, I'll have to compile it with an old version of gcc, though, because of byte alignment or some such garbage (this is why I hate developing on Linux). Unfortunately Quake2 has some security holes and potential stability problems, so it would certainly be preferable to use the standalone paintball2 executable, but if you can't, you can't. For now that will be OK, but in the future, things like compressed network protocols, enhanced physics, fast file downloads, etc. will make using the standalone on the server much more preferable.

Yes, master =) i know, and I'm still trying to get a server with the standalone version of Alpha14. As I tried to update to build14 on the server I'm running now, it wouldnt start anymore, so I "downgraded" back to version 13, and yes, its on a linux server. But you shouldnt worry about that, I'm just saying that removing backwards compatibility WILL in the end result in a split of the community, which doesnt necessarily have to be a bad thing, if it removes the cheaters, but will once more cut the population on the servers. And as most players nowadays play on Graffiti Servers again (as the Apex are down),most likely the larger amount will stay with the older versions.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2005, 09:27:26 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:34:44 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2005, 01:30:19 PM »
Free, web-based mail accounts could always be blocked, along with IP's.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2005, 02:17:28 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:34:41 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2005, 04:12:28 PM »
its better than whats happening now.,

Loging in as some one else.. sounds familier?

It would stop that.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2005, 07:03:35 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:18:07 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2005, 07:26:49 PM »
Better or not, for some reason it's difficult to migrate the community to new servers.  Remember when the er33t servers were up?  Everybody played there.  There were other servers -- even graffiti -- around at the time, but hardly anybody acknowledged them.  When news of er33t servers going down spread, some people freaked out, thinking it was going to be the end of paintball.  No joke.  I had all kinds of people messaging me with things like "omg, dp is gonna die!"  er33t went down, and people moved on to graffiti.  Now that's where everybody plays.  I guess because everybody else plays there.  Even when there were better servers up and continuous complaints of admin abuse, people still chose to play there.

That being said, I am still looking to see if I can get a reasonably priced server.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2005, 09:30:13 PM »
Lol Taco.  I get you point.

I am compelled (of course) to mention what you left out.

You have mentioned before you think I don't cheat. Thank you. What about honest players Sharon, Aura, Derrek, Sandman, WCH, S8N, Wicked, one eye willy ect ect ect... and then there are others that are not honest, prone to cheating or logging in as someone else etc...

We all enjoy playing on Graf servers, we don't cheat, we don't talk down to others, we help newbies or at least refer them to here. We don't stand for cheating and will even warn them before kicking.

I don't speak for those mentioned although I do wish they would speak up for I am the worst articulate of us all.

I heard mention of splitting, OK but don't split the wrong part. Regardless of the your intentions don't forget us honest players just because of a handful of cheaters. Anything else means they win (cheaters) and I am trying not to let that happen, wish I had help.  :-[

Best hosting service you can get, pricy mabey..

http://www.thunderdome.us/forum/index.php?

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2005, 12:58:03 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:18:03 AM by Dirty_Taco »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2005, 08:29:40 PM »
Im  saying untill there is a spilt makes stuff backwards compatable, anyhting else is a slap in the face of the honest players.

Even when there were better servers up and continuous complaints of admin abuse, people still chose to play there.

To my knowledge (which is naught) most those complained about admin abuse were caught cheating, useing someone  known name, or being abusesive towards others. To say there was bad admining sure if you pissed them off as described above then yes, but for the most part I have been on worse servrs aka e3rrt and heard no compaints (forgive taco for saying this) for those very same people that complain about admin abuse  on graf.

Another way to look at jits is how mant honest hard working people did not complain.

Thank you.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2005, 12:28:46 PM »

To my knowledge (which is naught) most those complained about admin abuse were caught cheating, useing someone  known name, or being abusesive towards others. To say there was bad admining sure if you pissed them off as described above then yes,....

Hi,
My name is KnacK and I am a victom of admin abuse by Snipen for being a good player, having the capability to cap, and shoot players on the opposing team.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2005, 08:28:37 PM »
Hi,

My name is Loial I was a victom of GT admin abuse in the past (was temp ban for binding keys in a busy server), view gibbed more time than I can count on e3rrt.

Nice to meet ya... :)

how mant honest hard working people did not complain?

Like I said above unless your were misbehaving you have a .01111% chance of getting kicked. I can attest to this for I have logged as many hours on that server as anyone 4avg players combined. As for being harressed for being a good player, welcome to my world on snipens server. Live with it, I know you can, if you act at the very least  humble / thankful for his service. You would be fine.           

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 11:52:21 PM »
Uh... way to spell er33t.