Author Topic: strafe jumping and speed  (Read 8502 times)

Da_Assassin

• PGP
strafe jumping and speed
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
I noticed on a server that while bunny hopping on propaint on a pub server, I had trouble keeping up with someone else along the same path. Using the speedometer I see that I top only at 40+ mph, maybe 50 when I'm bunny hopping.  I've even practice different mouse movements while strafe jumping to see if I was gaining more speed in any particular manner. BTW, I've looked at some jumping topics.

Is there something that I'm missing while doing it? I mean, is there a way to do it faster than others. (And this is along a straight path with no slopes ramps or anything). I'll be glad if anyone even understands this question or my explanation?

Spook

• Autococker
Re: strafe jumping and speed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:36:33 PM »
Strafe jumping is all about the mouse movement. Sway it right to left or vice versa depending on the way you're jumping. You'll find your sweet spot. Me and Deshi were actually practicing this yesterday after he asked for help.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
So it is more about how far I move the mouse right or left when jumping. A matter of how far I move the mouse left or right. Does mouse sensitivity have an affect too? I have my mouse sensitivity (through the settings menu at max)
BTW, thanks for the response.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »
 You might also want to try holding two arrows (the left+up or the right+up) depending on which way ur going. if u didnt know that though im sorry. xD

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:51:35 PM »
Yeah, I know how to do it. But I was wondering how I jump faster than others and others faster than me without any obvious difference how other than the strafe jumping.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »
I am not sure what role sensitivity plays, but if you want to change your sensitivity big time use the in-game setting. Type sensitivity at the console to see your current setting. The default is 10.

Many people find they aim better with lower sensitivity, but turning a full 180, etc. is slower, so it very well could have some impact on strafing.

I think Haze says he uses sensitivity 4 or something, and several others I have asked use a setting between 4-8.

As for jumping I max at about 52 or so just going on level ground, with fairly good mouse movement,  so in the same boat as you.

At times what you may be experiencing is they get a faster start through circle jumping, therefore getting ahead of you.

Then again...some do seem incredibly fast.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »
Circle jumping is another confusing thing. I thought it was for making quick 180 turns behind u instead of a movement thing. I watch a demo of Ij cola (I think) and was wondering what he was doing in the beginning of his jumping.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 02:59:59 PM »
Strafe jumping is about strafing, moving sideways to go faster. Mouse movement is just so you can be moving sideways, switch off, and still be going straight overall. Alternating is also easiest to keep speed.
Da_Assassin, you might be doing something to loose speed, work on getting a steady strafe going and get good at it, if you mess up at all then there goes your speed.

Circle-jumping is more of drawing a circle and moving in a circular motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q0D28xDHJg

Say there's a wall like this:
Code: [Select]
Floor |       - Paint Death -
----------     <-wall
Floor |       - Paint Death -

You would use it to jump around that wall, make a half-circle and you'd be changing direction in the air.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 03:11:21 PM »
So circle jumping gives u more speed instantaneously giving a circle + strafe combo. It said my sensitivity is 20.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:32:47 PM by Da_Assassin »

IWEARGOGGLES

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »
Strafe jumping is all about the mouse movement. Sway it right to left or vice versa depending on the way you're jumping. You'll find your sweet spot. Me and Deshi were actually practicing this yesterday after he asked for help.

lol no it's not.. you can go just as fast without moving your mouse.. it's just easier when you move it

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 07:55:33 PM »
Spook can you teach me how to strafe?

Alternate left and right movement keys while jumping and slightly turning your mouse and holding forwardz

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »
Has anyone seen the demo of Ij Ieatnoobs in an Ij vs. Allstarz match. What was he doing to get so much speed on propaint. I can get into the 50s-60s mph on most maps, but how are people putting up numbers 100+. I seen a topspeed of 130 mph today. Cola appeared to be doing some wide strafing.

Also on maps such as propaint, the only way I can jump the long path to the opening is to end my strafe jumping with a right right or left left instead of continuing the alternation.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 09:42:49 PM by Da_Assassin »

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 12:23:41 AM »
So circle jumping gives u more speed instantaneously giving a circle + strafe combo. It said my sensitivity is 20.
Yes, any good speed run will start with a circle jump since it's the easiest way to get good speed going in a small distance.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 01:10:13 AM »
So beyond the following, are there any ways to increase speed?

1. Circle jump (helps with initial speed)
2. Strafing
3. Mouse movement

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 01:38:50 AM »
That pretty much covers all the movements for speed, but of course if you want more speed, go DL a speedhack and be fast for one day and banned for 32

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 01:47:11 AM »
Then here is my last question. How do u circle jump.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 02:54:29 AM »
You don't need any speed for a circle jump m7feettall.

Da_Assassin - You need to get mIRC.  And come to globalgamers and go to #Team_ij.

I'll show you how to do everything, I just basically taught Waggot how to jump better, same with Homingbullet, Kaos, and Spawn.

DeadZero0

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 03:33:39 AM »
Yeah, I know how to do it. But I was wondering how I jump faster than others and others faster than me without any obvious difference how other than the strafe jumping.

Practice. And they're probaly more experianced and better. =D

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
Hitting jumps right and landing them strafing is another way to get keep/get speed.
Mixing forward, strafe, moving mouse and jump is the idea of circle jump
Here's how to perform a circle jump:
1. Make some steps forward
2. While still holding forward press strafe left/right and move mouse into that direction
3. When you get 90 degrees angle, jump
4. Finally, turn mouse even more to left/right while still in air

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 08:05:53 PM »
The speeds that you're seeing in the 100+ zone on Propaint1 are probably from the ice jump.