Author Topic: Feature Vote Page (Planning)  (Read 14606 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Feature Vote Page (Planning)
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »
Here's some ideas I've been tossing around for how the feature vote page should work:

- Each feature request will require its own topic.  Users can request a feature to be added to the list by creating a topic about the feature and asking that it be put up for voting.  I think this will keep the list a bit more organized than just letting people free form submit features to vote on.  It might clutter the feature request boards up a bit at first, but it will also keep discussion more organized, rather than having 20 different topics going on at once in a single request thread.  When the feature request is added to the list, it will have a link back to the thread so people can read it for more details.

- Users will be able to vote for (+) or against (-) a feature or cancel their vote at any time.  Previous votes will be nullified.

- Features should be categorized.  Some categories might include: Game (things that are implemented in the game code, such as new game modes), Administration (advanced logging, etc.), Media (better textures, models, sounds, etc.), Interface (Menu requests, etc.), Website (wiki related things, etc.), Client (client side demo recording, client side word filter, etc),  Bug fixes (mouse issues on Vista), Server, Renderer, and General Engine.

- List could be sorted by a couple things - most recent votes, most votes, etc.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Feature Vote Page (Planning)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
So you only get one vote then?
And where would this page be? Where will it be linked?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:21:20 AM »
So you only get one vote then?

Hmm, I didn't see that... :-\

And where would this page be? Where will it be linked?

I got the impression were going to have a feature request board type thing (in the forum perhaps? :-\), where topics are created by users, voted on by other users, and implement based upon votes.

I also thought if users change their votes, it just cancels out the previous one.  Yes?

Game
Admin
Media
Interface
Website  //haha, one of my first votes would be to split up website and wiki on the feature request page, especially when we get something complex like mediawiki or something installed.
Wiki
client  //does this cover the server browser?
bug fixes
server
renderer // this isn't something under the client?
general engine
What about something new, like, a new program to be added to the release, i mean, it's not really directly related to Game or Client.  Maybe a miscellaneous/other board? 

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:04:27 AM »
- Users will be able to vote for (+) or against (-) a feature or cancel their vote at any time.  Previous votes will be nullified.
Well, if I understand correctly, every time you vote for something every other vote will be deleted, but it could also be that the previous vote on that feature gets deleted.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 07:01:43 AM »
Jits need to clarify the voting, because I can see some members voting agains an enhancement just because someone they didn't exactly care for voted for it. ( ie... the karma system)

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 04:57:32 PM »
how 'bout a sub-forum in the bugs/request section and vote via poll and vote only once and i believe the poll is anonymous. and i suggest the subject for the feature be short, simple and to the point, that way people see it and know what it is. For example, "Spawn Killing" and not "game play for no spawn killing..."

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 10:11:42 PM »
I've been thinking about some features for this page, and then I came across and idea I liked.

-Include a bounty system.

Financially-inclined people could put their money where there mouth is, and offer up cash to see their features receive additional priority.

i.e.

1. User offers up $15 for idea x to be implemented.
2. Jitspoe could accept a $15 bounty, which would be PayPal'd ASAP.
3. Once Jitspoe gets the cash, that idea gets bumped up in the queue, right after the top two voted on items, and any other previous bounties.

Users could support DP, and see good ideas get implemented...  I'm just tossing stuff out here.

Also, what about a tool that required people to classify their request very specifically before it was submitted, and required them to verify it wasn't like any of the others..

i.e.

User wants idea a

Falls under category b
Sub-cat c
Sub-cat d
x amount of other ideas found in this sub-category, please read each brief description... if anything matching yours, just click 'vote' and you'll vote for it.... other wise check the checkbox next to each items to verify it's not the same as your idea.

here's a picture to make this even more complicated....

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 01:24:32 PM »
Hmmmm.....  that could work y00tz the second one that is the first one could work kind of with some minor tweaks for example what happens if it is already in the top two also would it sort the bounties by the amount of money and votes? Another thing is if someone pays $15 dollars and it has only one vote what would happen would it go ahead of ones with more then 20 votes?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »
Apocalypse, I look at it this way:  The users WANT new features.  The game NEEDS money for servers... stuff like TerraGen, etc.   Why not find a system where we can have both?

I know some people would be upset that something with 2 votes got put ahead, but it's not like Jitspoe couldn't turn down bounties...  If it' s a bad idea, it can just float, otherwise, it could be added to the fast track.

Jitspoe needs to generate revenue for the game.  I'd like to see it done this way or through donations rather than he start charging for something like a 'gold membership' .. it's only fair that he stops paying whatever he is out of his pocket.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 01:34:57 PM »
I see your point y00tz that's why I was saying maybe that amount good be used as that amount of votes so say the pay 15 dollars then that counts as 15 dollars added on to the original that way you could get more chance of it being your idea if you payed more that way Jits could get even more for the game.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
Jits could get even more for the game.

You mean the people Jits pays for hosting, right? I honestly doubt he's anywhere close to breaking even on this game.  Nate, correct me if I'm wrong... :D

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 01:38:25 PM »
It would still help him out though.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »
maybe have $1 be equal to 1 vote?  that way a user could boost his favourite up a lot by donating, yet the most desired features would receive a good consideration in the process.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »
* KnacK puts $15 on VWEP and $15 on GRAPPLE FTW!!!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
maybe have $1 be equal to 1 vote?  that way a user could boost his favourite up a lot by donating, yet the most desired features would receive a good consideration in the process.

$1/ vote... ehh...  I think it would be best to keep top REAL votes, separate from top donations.
I think that the top two VOTED ON should always remain at the top or maybe 2nd and third... that way there's a little bit of community vote.

What if the competition that the Karma System had, caught on here?  Eiii donates $10 to x, I donate $10 y, the winner here? Paintball 2.

The idea would be to get competition going... good ideas with no votes would be fueled by bounties...

* KnacK puts $15 on VWEP and $15 on GRAPPLE FTW!!!

* y00tz makes that $30 for grapple...

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 03:10:48 PM »
y00tz that is my point exactly say like you just said one person makes it 10 for x then some other person makes it 20 for y it will turn into a bid and Jits and this game will gain from this.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
and this game will gain from this.

And that's all I honestly want.  More than anything :D  Well... love from Lexi is nice...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 10:43:24 PM »
If the money thing is implemented, I hope jits gets to veto stuff.

Actually, I hope the money thing isn't implemented. It'd be a bad idea to let a small group of 5-10 people control the direction of this game.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 10:52:45 PM »
If the money thing is implemented, I hope jits gets to veto stuff.

.. Of course he would.

Actually, I hope the money thing isn't implemented. It'd be a bad idea to let a small group of 5-10 people control the direction of this game.

Now I'm positive you didn't read anything above.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »
<_< I might have skimmed. Lots to catch up on, you know.
EDIT: Yeah, in the end it'd be jits controlling pb's direction. Disregard me.