Author Topic: Feature Vote Page (Planning)  (Read 14605 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature Vote Page (Planning)
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »
* KnacK puts $15 on VWEP and $15 on GRAPPLE FTW!!!
* jitspoe turns down the $15 grapple bounty.

Silly kids. :)

Just for clarification, I was referring to votes on a per item basis.  So if you voted, say, for the "tag" game mode, then decided against it, you could cancel your vote or change it to a vote against the feature.  Your other feature votes wouldn't be impacted.

I doubt I'd see much, if any, activity in the bounty system area, but it's an interesting idea.  Should people be able to use the bounty to vote AGAINST a feature?  Could somebody, say, put $50 down against the grapple hook suggestion and drop it down to the bottom of the pile?

Also, should votes be anonymous, or should they be listed like they are now?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
OMG

I got pwned!!!
* KnacK calls Sir Femboticus to handle the issue.....

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 06:45:38 PM »
grapple hook? off-hand grapple hook... i remember playing Q2 Loki Minion's CTF (LMCTF) and it had the best off-hand grappling hook...

why can't you just allow one post per person and not allowed changes? that just forces the person to make sure they want to make the right decision... to have the ability to change the vote... may trigger a lot of people changeing every now and then

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 07:23:26 AM »
Kore what happens if someone gives out an idea which they like more after they already vote what happens then?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 07:32:03 AM »
why can't you just allow one post per person and not allowed changes? that just forces the person to make sure they want to make the right decision... to have the ability to change the vote... may trigger a lot of people changeing every now and then

They couldn't, if they ever changed their vote, they'd null out their vote, thus no flip-flopping or your vote doesn't count.

I think it's a good idea.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 07:34:28 AM »
But y00tz think then they'd have to wait till the end of 2007 to see if there is a thing you want more maybe have a limited amount of times you can change your vote if you guys want it that bad.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »
Just for clarification, I was referring to votes on a per item basis.  So if you voted, say, for the "tag" game mode, then decided against it, you could cancel your vote or change it to a vote against the feature.  Your other feature votes wouldn't be impacted

You can vote on EVERYTHING Apocalypse.
But say if down the road, you didn't like your vote.  It'd be nulled (on second thought, maybe Jits is saying it could change or be cancelled?) Heh

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:09 AM »
Ok now this is just getting confusing lol I'll have to read the whole thread over again.
Edit: Okay I think he's saying that if later on you said oh I don't really want it to be that I'll cancel it or actually that's a really bad idea I don't want it to be implemented let's put a minus on it.
Also I think now that I've reread what you said I see what you're saying that you shouldn't be able to just keep saying to cancel then negate then vote for it and keep doing this am I right?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 07:48:46 AM »
Also I think now that I've reread what you said I see what you're saying that you shouldn't be able to just keep saying to cancel then negate then vote for it and keep doing this am I right?

You're correct.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
grapple hook? off-hand grapple hook... i remember playing Q2 Loki Minion's CTF (LMCTF) and it had the best off-hand grappling hook...

Off Topic Warning:

LMCTF was one of my favorite Q2 mods next to TWCTF for QW and Q2.

LMCTF Web Site

On Edit: ROFLCOPTER!!!!! This is my 666 post!!!

For you id die hards  out there, you will know the significance of that number as it was the original port number for network d00m and is still the official port number in the standard 1024 registered ports number list.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »
i.m not sure about the bounty idea. With regards to improvements surely it would be best to keep the more popular improvements at the top of the pile? Rather than perhaps an improvement only 1 person wants, but is willing to pay for. Like Jits said I don't think their would be much activity in it anyway, but it also goes against the basis of a "Feature Vote" (Voters can't pay to get more votes in local elections :P)

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 10:55:28 AM »
Kore what happens if someone gives out an idea which they like more after they already vote what happens then?
the one vote will have to make it count, make people REALLY think if they want the features or not... I mean, you dont get the nullify your vote for president (or in my case a prime minister) ;) I know there will be people that will say "oh, this is a great idea" and put a vote it in and possibly 5mins later realized they've played this style/mod before and didn't like it so they cancel their votes and could even reconsider again (a few days) later and actually want that feature in the game. Make the vote count and make sure it's WHAT YOU WANT.

LMCTF rocks! Loved their custom maps... too bad no one plays anymore :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
Why would it matter if somebody voted, canceled, voted again, canceled, voted against, voted for, etc.?  It's the final vote that counts, and in the end, it's still just 1 vote.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »
I suppose not... but wouldn't that get annoying when they keep changing their minds??

what if the vote is differed by 1 vote or tied? they affect the final vote by change their vote to make it for or against it. (yes, i know it don't make much sense...) how 'bout anonymous voting?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 02:09:21 PM »
All the voting is for is to help prioritize which features should be worked on.  It doesn't really matter if there's a tie or close votes.  The most voted for feature may not even be the one I work on next.  It just gives me a way to see what the community thinks is most important and work on the most popular features first.

Votes could be anonymous.  I can set it up either way.  Do they really need to be, though?  Maybe I could set it up so people can choose if they want their vote to be anonymous or not, and if not, it counts for more.  I'm not sure why somebody would want to be anonymous with a feature request vote.  Maybe I could make a poll to decide that.

Edit: And here it is: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=8255.0

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 02:12:14 PM »
Maybe you should make a poll about that poll being anonymous too lol.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
Just bumping this up again as I thought of another thing that would be useful: dependencies.  For example, if somebody voted for "map preview screenshots", that would also cast a vote for "variables in menu widgets", as widget variables are required to (feasibly) implement preview screenshots.  I imagine most people think about what they want and not about what is necessary to accomplish what they want.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 11:33:08 PM »
That's a good idea.

Suppose something is added and requires something else as a dependency, if the original item is voted for, than it adds a vote to that and the dependencies UNLESS the users has already voted for dependencies?

I was planning on bumping a few big topics tonight but I'll just let them hang.  How far down is this in your priorities list?  I've noticed you were online a bit more this week, I hope work has settled down for now :P

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 11:54:24 PM »
Devolpment
Deployment
Quality
Damage control
Growth

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »
How far down is this in your priorities list?
Depends on how many people vote for it.  I'm still wrapping up the fast downloading code.  I haven't had much time to work on it because of Real Life™ activities.