Author Topic: camping...  (Read 9709 times)

Xena

• VM-68
camping...
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »
just wanted to throw this suggestion out there. i remember playing one q2 mod that had this feature (may have been a CTF mod) but the game had this timer for camper that when it detects the player staying in a spot for too long, it sends a message and i believe killed them.

is it possible to add a similar feature in the future? implement a timer for a player is camping and even put a radius on the player where if he is within x distance it's still considered camping. it was effective on that mod, got people moving rather just camp.

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: camping...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »
Why do that? Camping is part of the game without camping the game it would not be as much fun. Campers really are what add to the intensity to the game at least for me.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:00:48 PM »
I think RtCW has something like this too. Either way, head over to the Feature Vote Thread and vote for it.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:01:04 PM »
There's a server-side SoF2 option for that, but why make this game like other FPSs? I think it's fine the way it is.

sc0pe

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:02:51 PM »
Camping is part of the game it's a type of skill. Your acting like you are looking into a paradoxical if they can be seen then it's your fault for not noticing them.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »
it's a type of skill.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that... but, even in actual paintball, you'll catch yourself 'camping' in the same spot for a bit, even if it's because you're pinned down.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:09:38 PM »
I have never understand why so many people frown upon a thing like camping :-\
Why do people think that if someone doesnt play like everyone else, he's a noob and sucks.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 09:13:22 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:10:15 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
I think camping is more of an issue with the map design than the game.  If there's only one entrance to the base, people are going to guard it.  It's the most effective way to prevent enemies from grabbing the flag.  With a well laid out map containing multiple attack paths, sitting in one spot suddenly becomes very ineffective.

Although, in a way, there is something that keeps people from sitting still for a really long time: the idle timer.  Sit still over a minute and you get booted to observer.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:56:25 PM »
the camping that bugs me are those that just sit in the same spot that have NO defensive purpose. i have NO problem with people camping at THEIR base, cause that's called defence. but it's those that sits at enemy base and shoot down people who just respawned from 60sec that i have a problem with.

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »
I think that would be a good idea for clan matches...because it would be annoying if its 3 on 3 and one team kills 2 on the opposite team then the last player camps or hides until either their teammate revives or somebody grabs the flag.
and Kore thats called spawn killing and they do it only when they know teammates are coming so that they can get the flag and cap.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 07:50:43 PM »
I think that would be a good idea for clan matches...because it would be annoying if its 3 on 3 and one team kills 2 on the opposite team then the last player camps or hides until either their teammate revives or somebody grabs the flag.
???
Obviously when i'm 1v3 i'm not going to rush them...

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »
???
you still don't camp...you move out slowly.
you still don't camp...you move out slowly...and watch where you walk,run,or jump.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 09:29:51 PM »
???
you still don't camp...you move out slowly...and watch where you walk,run,or jump.

Wrong I am going with Mag on this one.

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 09:31:36 PM »
???

Wrong I am going with Mag on this one.
its wrong to you...its not wrong to other people...just because you say its wrong doesn't mean it is.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 09:32:19 PM »
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with camping. Running out is more likely to get you killed than get you any kills when you can only cover 1/3 of the area the other team can.
I'd love to see you in clan matches, though.

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with camping. Running out is more likely to get you killed than get you any kills when you can only cover 1/3 of the area the other team can.
I'd love to see you in clan matches, though.
FM has matched DeW and SIN....both servers lagged for us...but none of us camp...we don't let campers in FM..we hate them...yeah I might camp in pub servers..but not in clan matches...which is what I'm talking about so nobody try and twist my words around.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 09:38:17 PM »
you camp in pubs to try to get a positive k/d ratio, and you rush (probably not very well) and ruin it for your team in matches. you seem too smart for the rest of us

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »
you camp in pubs to try to get a positive k/d ratio, and you rush (probably not very well) and ruin it for your team in matches. you seem too smart for the rest of us
yeah...I'll just say want somebody else did....nobody really tries in pub servers...and I don't try.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 11:15:13 PM »
and Kore thats called spawn killing and they do it only when they know teammates are coming so that they can get the flag and cap.
No, most of the spawn killing i've seen are when the flags have been taken and returning to base (with flagcapendsround off). waiting for flag to cap so they can grab the flag after.

but i also realized it's quite useless when it's siege map... you HAVE to camp... lol