Author Topic: What are your goals for Paintball II?  (Read 10058 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
What are your goals for Paintball II?
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:20:45 PM »
This question isn't offered solely to Jitspoe and those with "Developer" tags, I want to know what everyone wants from this game...

You response can be anything - a drawing, a rendered image, a paragraph, a screenshot of another game, a break down of features, I mean, it's up to you... Take it seriously, and please stay on topic.

-y00tz

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: What are your goals for Paintball II?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:22:36 PM »
Goal or Dream?

I would LOVE to see the graphics engine improved so that we could have maps the rival CSS and the likes.

I believe with that kind of imagry we could draw more players to the game.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:31:21 PM »
I think the best way to achieve your dreams, is by making them your goals.  Aim high, right on KnacK, I'm with ya on that one.  One of my goals for the CTP was for people to say, "Oh that's a cool HL2 mod"

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »
I'd just like to get a good clan scene going. With good, respectable clans.

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:07:47 PM »
My goal is to make a map that will be included in a release.  :D

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:41:32 PM »
I'd just like to get a good clan scene going. With good, respectable clans.

Same. And get the game to be more wide spread. This could possibly be achieveed by this:

Goal or Dream?

I would LOVE to see the graphics engine improved so that we could have maps the rival CSS and the likes.

I believe with that kind of imagry we could draw more players to the game.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:53:04 AM »
I would like to see a new mapping structure similar to the "area" based map development of games like BF2.
Working off the "area" map idea, I would like to see terrain developed directly in the development tool, and all structure imported as models that carry their own clipping definitions and various object properties/methods/events. Say goodbye to the old block building style of mapping. It's old.
I would like to see the palette issue removed from texture representations in BSP.
I would like to see texture painting with blending in the map editor, and multiple leveling of textures per surface.
I would like to see the ability to create curved surface in maps.
I would like to see all items & models updated to more current, and get rid of the old shrouded autococker and all the old obsolete stuff.

Make it so.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:11:51 AM »
Curved surfaces FTW!!!

Nice ideas keith

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
I think we need an improved level editor specific to paintball 2, with new things like the curved surfaces and better graphics everyone wants. i could be user friendly and have buttons titled "add gun" or "import giant tree". we really need trees.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 09:43:54 AM »
I'm not sure if everyone knows how BF2 mapping works, but i'll try to splain roughly...

BF2 maps are area defined. This means that every BF2 map has a defined total area, lets say 4096x4096x4096 units for the sake of this discussion.  The entire world (map) exists in this space. You specifically define the boundaries of which a person cannot enter at the borders of the environment, if the environment does not extend all the way to the 4096 edge of the world. In this defined space you deform the terrain to your desired shape using terrain deforming tools. You make hills, mountains, valleys, rivers, lakes, anything you desire. You set a world water level that defines the water level at which all terrain below that level will be filled with water, very cool. Then you add/import your predefined structures. Anyone that has played BF2 knows that there are buildings, water towers, smoke stacks, bunkers, stairways, and everything else that are identical from map to map. These are all drag and drop, predefined, objects. After you drop an object you can further refine your terrain to accurately and properly conform to your object. This type of mapping system means every map is loaded into the same defined 4096x4096x4096 area. The amount of objects you place in your map, the settable View Distance, and the detail of your terrain determine how complex and laggy your map will be.

I am well aware that anything of this nature is purely fantasy for DP, but it would absolutely rock and make the game so much better in the mapping department.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 10:00:05 AM »
S8N, the mapping system u just described would be amazing for DP. but like u said, the current engine couldnt handle it. but perhaps when the community model pack is complete a user created version of BSP with drag and drop objects could exist....

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
I think we need an improved level editor specific to paintball 2, with new things like the curved surfaces and better graphics everyone wants. i could be user friendly and have buttons titled "add gun" or "import giant tree". we really need trees.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5060.msg84762#msg84762

That would be up to jitspoe tho.

lately sort has been working on plugins and scripts for BSP, so what you said could be done too.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:42:56 PM »
I guess I'd like to have Paintball2 look as good or better than HL2, BF2 and the like, but done in a much more efficient manner, or made saleable, so it's still accessible to the current player base.

I'd also like to create a highly advanced neural net AI system that could make the bots just as fun to play against as human opponents, and continually adapt to play right on your level so they'd always be a fun challenge regardless of your skill.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
I guess I'd like to have Paintball2 look as good or better than HL2, BF2 and the like, but done in a much more efficient manner, or made saleable, so it's still accessible to the current player base.

I'd also like to create a highly advanced neural net AI system that could make the bots just as fun to play against as human opponents, and continually adapt to play right on your level so they'd always be a fun challenge regardless of your skill.
Now that would be awesome it would take alot of work.

maxpower

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 11:47:12 AM »
First, get a better gfx engine or something. anyone for directx? and better models. Remove the double jumping stuff.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »
Remove the double jumping stuff.

I can tell you right now. Not gonna happen. Ever.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 02:04:07 PM »
I would like to see more decent clans, more cups, and more friendly american players ;)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »
For there to be a solid model flag!!!!! What's the point in making a truck model if you go right through it :(

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
Apoc...most games are like that.
In unreal2kx, you could import all these cool very detailed models/obkects, but had to make a clipping region around them. This allowed you to make crazy detail for the render engine to draw, but simple clipping structure allowed the hit detect for the object to be very simple.

At some point in time you have to throw out backwards compatibility and go at it new.
Too much backwards compatibility will wind up causing you headaches eventually. ...see MS WIndows

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:38:25 PM »
I want a meddling pony.

Solid models are nice too, but that's more of a 'feature request' than a 'goal'. ;) At least the models could be displayed in BSP so we could make clipping brushes around them, like S8N said, but that's something for BSP, not paintball.