Author Topic: What do you lie awake thinking about?  (Read 4137 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
What do you lie awake thinking about?
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
If you're anything like me, you like awake at night thinking of all kinds of things, unable to fall asleep.  Lately I've been thinking a lot about neural nets and the possibility of creating extremely powerful AI from the ground up to behave like a human brain, or even better.  The human brain contains somewhere around 100 billion neurons.  If each one were a bit, that would only be 11-12 gigabytes.  In today's world, that's not very much.  Of course a neural net would have a lot more overhead than just 1 bit per neuron, but say you used 64 bits -- still less than 1TB.  Easily achievable if it used hard drive access.  Slower, but probably still faster than the human brain.  I mean, imagine just setting up a computer where all it did was behave as a brain -- throw a webcam and microphone on it and teach it.  Maybe throw on a simple robotic arm for kicks.  Have it play with some blocks.  You wouldn't even need to go that far.  Just simple text based I/O could potentially generate some fascinating results.  Teach it to read, then point it toward Wikipedia or something.  Of course the downside is that, like a real brain, it could potentially take years of teaching before it did anything useful.

But would it become sentient?  Self-aware?  If you could accurately simulate a brain virtually, would it be that different from a real brain?  Could a virtual brain be even more powerful?  I think a human brain probably runs under 1MHz while computers are well over 1GHz.  It could potentially function thousands of times faster.  What if you just threw a huge neuron matrix at it with no real structure and simply let it self-evolve?  Could it even generate a structure superior to our own brains?  Probably not, but it's still fun to think about.

Well, there's a glimpse of one of the things that keeps me tossing and turning at night and struggling to wake up in the morning.  What about the rest of you?

Spook

• Autococker
Re: What do you lie awake thinking about?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »
i can see why, that's a big thing to think about. i usually just think about people i miss. alot of deaths in the family lately =/

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:15:30 PM »
AI is AI.

Limited to created scenarios and known physics. Just like us.

The question is can AI learn outside its scope of known factors and or physics?

BTW thanks. I just found my Schaaaawrooomies. Care I share (sharon means karen 80's care bear trippin sayin) this with your AI and then we both function with in society?

You sir need a partitioner from technology. I would be honored to assist.

"For all I know you maybe right and I may be crazy." -Billy Hoel

*edit call me spook if you need a friend..pm me...

Another good question...can AI lament when un tammed?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 10:18:52 PM »
Heh. I think Jits needs a girl. ;)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
Needs? No.

Experiment, yes.

When awake I think about quake.

*carmackness

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:26:43 PM »
:-\
You got me thinking now.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 10:36:02 PM »
Dont think. Just go with your intuitions like AI.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 11:33:35 PM »
Dont think. Just go with your intuitions like AI.

Can't - Ms. KnacK is asleep......

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »
Heh. I think Jits needs a girl. ;)

QFT!!lol.

I think about the future and also if im going to make drumline. The future stuff is like all about how we can become more advanced society and how we can use 100 % of our brains. Then I think about startrek, and how that can be our future.

SmPeR

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 01:54:25 AM »
i think about spook.. >_>... naw but really i think about paintball 24/7

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 02:31:25 AM »
Life, the universe and everything.

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 03:18:30 AM »
Well. Come to think about it, There has been a lot on my mind. Really good friend of mine passed away a couple days ago.. I never really noticed how hard it was to lose someone. Now all I do is think about my future. The things I want to be remembered for and people who I would want to remember me. Its quite complicated to explain and you guys get a full understanding of what I'm saying. If any of you have lost a good friend/relative you would know what its like. Everyone that hasn't lost a family member or close friend. be thankful for what you have. You never really know what you had till its gone.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 03:31:59 AM »
Well MadMan I know what you are going through, I´ve lost a bunch of friends and relatives. I don´t know how old are you, but the memories will not fade away. The important thing is to cherish them, to remember them in a good and a bad way, cause all memories are important. I think of those people quite often and most of the time these memories gets me smiling.

As for the future part it´s good to think what you wanna be, or as you said how you wanna people to remember you by. I think it´s best to be yourself, to improve where you think improvement is needed, to live your life fully, to help wherever and whenever you can, to be optimistic and listen. At least I´m trying to do so.

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 03:42:06 AM »
I completely agree. I used to be a cocky little intercourser.. Im 17 btw.. a young excrement head. But thats beyond the point. Yeah the memories seem to make things worse.. It could be b/c his funeral was today. The kid was like my brother. Everytime he would want to fight. i had his back. and vice versa. I didn't really know if my last post would make sense at all. There is 100 thoughts running threw my head. It was weird 2 days b4 he Died we all got together and hungout. something we didn't do in a long time.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 03:49:20 AM »
I dream of Jeannie, but when i'm awake at night all i can think about is trying to get to sleep. I must spend at least 1 hour staying awake thinking about that.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 04:58:00 AM »
10011 10111

:)

No matter where you program me, there I am!

Please PM me i am about respectfull endings.

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 06:30:02 AM »
I've got pretty bad insomnia, So i have plenty of time to think over many different things. I do most of my thinking when im lying in bed. Usualy song lyrics of stuff, which i then write down in a notepad next to my bed. =p

~MT

Clockwork

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 06:58:57 AM »
hmm, as someone said above, I usually lay in bed thinking about going to sleep. Ill start thinking about something, then get back to I need to sleep, then my mind wanders, then I need to sleep, usually for about an hour o.o

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 08:20:12 AM »
Hm... I never go to sleep thinking the same thing all the time.

You guys are so close minded :)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 10:36:15 AM »
Over the years I have had several recurring fantasy type scenarios I think about during brain down times.

One involves the creation of a game simulator where you sit in a chair and get neurally plugged into the system (not literally plugged in). The system fools your brain into believing it is in the world. Call it matrix style or whatever, but less intrusive on the body.

So the scenario I think about goes like so:
I get a bunch of gaming friends from various games, but mostly BF2, and I invite them over to check out my new (military involved) secret system. I sit all of us in our chairs and we enter some half impressive simulation and are soon brought out of the system by a level red alert coming in over military communications. Everyone is confused, but I keep everyone calm and address the situation. The facility slowly starts to move underground as a large blast shield slides overhead and covers us up. Underground I communicate with military command, while all the gamers are completely shocked, and am informed there has been some incident that has caused a nuclear volley aimed at the US. We take the volley and are informed the originator has staged massive assault forced at strategic locations to swarm in and complete the mission. Underground we are connected to a close by military facility, but the based force was caught out of the base during the blast. Military command informs us that all of us are being activated for combat and are instructed as area defense for our sector and given instruction to meet and engage the incoming forces. We proceed to the connected military facility and utilize their equipment to complete our mission. We complete the mission in glorious fashion with no casualties. All of this takes around two weeks to transpire. At the end of the mission we return to the base where I reveal to everyone that we have been in my simulator the entire time, and that the cheesy game they saw at first was a decoy in order for the system to properly gain access to each individuals neural base. The two weeks in the simulator were based on accelerated neural time. In reality only around 15 to 20 minutes had passed.

This entire story is based off the book i've been writing, and have a long way to go with. The system running the simulator is based of the inventions made in the story.
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/Nothing%20is%20random.doc

There are many other similar things I think about.
Another one invloves purchasing Vatu Vara (Hat Island) in Fiji, and creating a beautiful home there.
Vatu Vara is an island for sale for $75 million: http://www.luxuryrealestate.com/647747
WOuld having thatm island absolutely rock. It's around two mile across long ways, not including the reef.