Author Topic: Built in map editor  (Read 3216 times)

[GX]AQUA

• PGP
Built in map editor
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
I was thinking that maybe you could add a built in map editor/creator. It would be way easier and i would be able to tote it around in my flash drive on just one application. or you can make a developers version where it would install both BSP and paintball2. Also, Can you PLEASE (im on my knees begging) create a version of dp for mac?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Built in map editor
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:18:23 PM »
I don't think putting a level editor in the same executable as the game would really be feasible.  As for a mac version.  I don't have a mac . If you were to give me one, perhaps I could build a mac version. :)  Head over to the feature vote thread if you haven't already.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:55:33 PM »
Brush-based editing in-game would be hellish. Entity placement would work, but actual map creation would be very, very difficult and slow.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
Brush-based editing in-game would be hellish. Entity placement would work, but actual map creation would be very, very difficult and slow.

That would also promote those i-made-this-map-in-five-minutes type maps. Not to mention, that would be a complete nightmare trying to implement.

However, a BSP + Paintball installer/package would be feasible, and by far the better option.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:18:24 PM »
However, a BSP + Paintball installer/package would be feasible, and by far the better option.
I dont think that should be part of the official instal, it should be a different file people should download...
Wait... That sounds familiar :)

impish_king

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »
i could probably make an installer that installes both, but right now im on my dads computer that has a poor ass dialup connection, and my computer needs a new processer and the only one that i can really use is my mac, so...
jits- there are probably some macs online or you could have someone else do the programming that has a mac...

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »
My community edition has BSP and paintball but that's only build 18...

I'll begin making a build 19 version with the CTP and some other updates.

Jits, you never did get round to adding that to the files page did you...

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
Jits, you never did get round to adding that to the files page did you...
Why add a file that contains both files that are in the same page?
:-\

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »
BSP = abandonware? Not GPLed and getting the source from the current developer requires putting up with "umm it's not clean enough, sorry."
I'd rather see a new mapping format, and a new stand-alone map editor distributed and created as GPL'd Digital Paint software, that way it could be packaged with Paintball 2. '

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:30:01 AM »
Once we have a new map format, there's a decent chance we won't use BSP anymore. There's no reason for us to stop using BSP before then.

I'm pretty sure 'the current developer' of BSP wouldn't mind us distributing BSP with paintball. It not being GPL'd doesn't have anything to do with anything, I think.

Also packaging BSP with paintball would just bloat the package up. Also influence about ten thousand more crappy, crappy maps.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
Nothing wrong with having BSP non GPL'd, also its not like anyone asks for the source.

Does GPL even require to distribute a working source?

Canada A

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:32:52 PM »
What about something like from the Tony Hawk games?

Choose a pre-made object and place it in your map. Maybe even add custom objects?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »
That'd be pretty silly for this game, as most/all of the maps are indoor, or contain a significant indoor area. It'd come down to each map having custom objects so each mapper can have what they want.