Author Topic: Verbal Abuse  (Read 10286 times)

Mayhem

• Stingray
Re: Verbal Abuse
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 05:00:45 AM »
Just use a swear filter. Who cares if people curse.

It's more than just cursing.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 06:11:29 AM »
1. What do other online games use/do?
2. People's definition of verbal abuse varies too much.
3. If you really want to do this, then it has to be uniform across ALL servers, or don't bother doing it.

I would say let this one go.  THere are other issues that need to be looked at rather than this. Unless there is a sure fire solution in a can implemented in anotehr mod somewhere.

Let me give you an example:

If someone is texting " You h4xing c.0.c.k. sucker " that's one thing, abusive maybe, anoying definately.
If someone is texting " easy meat " " too easy " or just trying to inflate his ego behind his keyboard, that's anotehr example of a form of abuse.

Both cases could be settled by the simple "ignore" feature.

You will never make everyone happy with this.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
I agree with knack... ignore feature for those who arent fast enough with the comebacks. and then the server admins can temp ban peeps if they feel it is over-accesive(did i spell that right?).

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 08:01:36 AM »
over-accesive(did i spell that right?).

You don't need over in there and yes it was spelled wrong it is excessive. Remember the Spell Check button is your friend. :P

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »
who needs spell check when your here to police my errors?   ;D 

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »
Well there´s no easy solution to this question. The thin is that if someone verbal abuse other player(s) just shows his/her immaturity. It´s a real shame that a part of community is so ignorant to the others.

I mean why one like to call someone noob. Instead if he´s a weaker player that one should rather try to help him. That´s why I´m sorry that #definedp halted. Nothing happpens. Just another irc channel.

You might wanna try this. When you see that scene noob from above make a say bind - Help him, don´t trash him or whatever you like. Yeah I know that it might sound merry, but so what?

Individual makes difference and progress. Leaders lead the group.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 08:12:11 AM »
It should be handled by a community-driven effort to increase the maturity and respect players show each other in game. The ignore feature is there for people already who dont want to see any abuse. But we, as an organised community able to discuss things like this need to make the effort in public servers and hope that we can sway the general attitude people have in this game.

I will not lie, I know that today alone I have probably abused at least 10 people if not more.

You are part of this organised community, and whether you like it or not, doing that effects more than just the 10 people you directly abused.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »
I think a mouse driven ignore option from the score board would be a good start.

I also favor a review of demos or server side logs by Jitspoe.

It can be a multi-tiered approach.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 09:36:22 PM »
Why? I dint understand. Giving Jitspoe yet another task for something as trivial as a guy 'expressing' himself in a server seems illogical to me. Not to mention that you are implying that you would global ban that person, which is laughable to say the least. After all, this is the internet.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 09:50:28 PM »
Why? I dint understand. Giving Jitspoe yet another task for something as trivial as a guy 'expressing' himself in a server seems illogical to me. Not to mention that you are implying that you would global ban that person, which is laughable to say the least. After all, this is the internet.

This could be a job for "The Committee".

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 10:18:29 PM »

Drat, you beat me to it.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 10:45:24 PM »
I know someone would bring that up, I was going to write a disclaimer on the post about it :-\

Committee or not, its still work for Jitspoe (he would have to set it up or be part of it at some point), and if you even manage to make it work, is it worth to gather people on irc or have a meeting to decide if they should ban or do whatever they would do to the person? Just because they guy told another guy some insult? If the other guy is truly offended he would just ignore the guy, otherwise its probably because he wants to get him in trouble.

As I said, its the internet.

ps: Sorry if I didn't make any sense, I'm tired.

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »
Why can't people just have a warning then a short global ban? After each repeated offense getting longer and longer?
If someone is called a basterd in the game, that shouldn't be a good reason to report someone, don't sweat the small stuff. Someone who is repeatedly getting harrassed by an individual everytime they are in the same server as them constantly getting insulted would be an ideal case.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 05:49:27 AM »
OK this really has gone on long enough.

We have a cheat detection system in place which is almost automatic. Talks of pier groups to handle "issues", now a group for taking care of verbal abuses?

What other online game has all of this? Verbal abuse can be settled by each server admin/owner.  If they don't want to do anythign about it, that's fine.  As far as hurting potential new player's feelings, WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ONLINE GAMING AND THE WORLD WIDE INTERNET. It's like you ( all for this group) are trying to reform the UN here online in the DP community.  It's not going to work.

DP has 2 major problems right now: Hacking and egos. The hacking part is just about taken care of and the egos  ( I classify egos as those that boast they are the dp.pub.champions and better than life itself and then those that think they are so good that they wouldn't be caught dead playing dp and blast anyone that doesnt think their way) can be controlled by the server admins, irc ops, and forum moderators.

This is getting way over thought.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »
Agreed. You can't review individual circumstances by a committee or whatever. How many times in your 20 minute quick play on pub do you see abuse? Now remember that that was only in 20 minutes, so what about the rest of the day?

Knack is right, server admins control it, we aim to help it, that is all.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
<3 Knack

Thats what I've been saying :-\

doughz

• Stingray
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
I honestly can't see why it's a problem with people. Unless you're xsv-boy/bix, where you get grounded by your daddy because he sees curse words on your screen, because hes 13. Honestly, I can't believe that people are sensitive enough that curse words over the internet can hurt them. Ignore them.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »
I honestly can't see why it's a problem with people. Unless you're xsv-boy/bix, where you get grounded by your daddy because he sees curse words on your screen, because hes 13. Honestly, I can't believe that people are sensitive enough that curse words over the internet can hurt them. Ignore them.

That obviously depends on many factors, and yes age is definately one of them. You're showing your immaturity through the post you just made. If my young child was playing this or any online game, I would not want them to witness "curse words". Even if bix was 13, so what? You think we don't have 13 year old kids and younger playing this game?

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »
I think you guys are going about this all wrong.

Let me explain:

When you "wall-hack" or "modify textures" etc.,  you are obviously doing it to gain an advantage in the server.
So therefore, you are banned from the server.

What should be done about verbal abuse? This:

Mutes.

Think about it.  When you verbally abuse someone, you almost always aim to put them or something about them down.  Therefore trying to gain an advantage of power over them.  So getting muted for a week would probably fix a person's wagon pretty good.  And of course, punishment always grows. (Warnings are good too for the first time offenders)

Another option:
A "stealth" swear filter.  Once you have said something along the lines of 2-3 inappropriate words in 1-2 minutes, you get temp-muted for 5 minutes.  Would work wonders in pubs.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts,
Brock.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »
I think you guys are going about this all wrong.

Let me explain:

When you "wall-hack" or "modify textures" etc.,  you are obviously doing it to gain an advantage in the server.
So therefore, you are banned from the server.

What should be done about verbal abuse? This:

Mutes.

Think about it.  When you verbally abuse someone, you almost always aim to put them or something about them down.  Therefore trying to gain an advantage of power over them.  So getting muted for a week would probably fix a person's wagon pretty good.  And of course, punishment always grows. (Warnings are good too for the first time offenders)

Another option:
A "stealth" swear filter.  Once you have said something along the lines of 2-3 inappropriate words in 1-2 minutes, you get temp-muted for 5 minutes.  Would work wonders in pubs.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts,
Brock.
Mute sounds like a good solution, but they should be server side, nothing global.