Author Topic: new map: skyworld  (Read 3919 times)

gir

• PGP
new map: skyworld
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
I know it has a few bugs, (bsp won't let me compile for some reason) but it's ok for a beginner.
sorry I don't have any screenshots.

gir

• PGP
Re: new map: skyworld
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:43:34 PM »
if anyone  wants to fix it, I canput up the .map file, because as I said, for some reason, bsp isn't letting me compile.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
I took a look at the map. It needs work. I like the idea, but the brushwork could use improvement. Upload the map file so I could look at it a bit closer.

gir

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »
here it is. the .map file :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 05:01:03 PM by gir »

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »
It's gets a max_patches error from light world portion of compiling.
The map is basically a huge box with the map inside of it, I'd move the sides in alot and move the bottom up alot, there's no need to fall 100 stories. Even the map ceiling is about twice as high as it needs to be.
There are misaligned and overlapping brushes throughout the map.
I'd suggest making a way to get off the part you're jumping over, other than jumping into the paint.
I could be a fun map to play, stick with it.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »
You pulled a big no-no in this map. Don't seal a map by putting it in a big box. Make the map out of 'boxes'.

gir

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
can anyone fix my map, because for the third time, bsp won't let me compile.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:44:48 PM »
http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Map+Compiling+Errors

I tested it. - chopcurve 128 works fine for me (You can change this value in .../bsp/pball2/bats/final compile (high quality).bat). But the lighting of this big box will take hours.

And how the otheres said, you shouldn't use this big box map technic. It is just horrible. There is also a big part with nothing in it. Try not to make those parts. They will kill lots of things.

But keep on. For a beginner I think it's ok. Maybe try to make smaller maps in the future, you don't have to use all the size bsp can give you. There are lots of popular small maps in this game :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:21:31 PM by Chef-Killer »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:16:01 AM »
Here is some advice: Firstly, delete this map. Now make sure the grid is turned on in BSP. Now remake HALF this map, very carefully, making sure everything is symettrical. Move the ceiling down and the floor up. Also, one reason it won't compile is that you fall straight through the floor, so the floor leaks. Add a proper brush underneath and make the paint actually kill the player. Make sure you use a texture on every surface or it will look horrific. Once you have completed it, mirror it to the enemy base using the mirror feature. Then come back and post again.

gir

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:06:09 AM »
OK, I've completely remade this map into a 4 team disaster! It's missing bases and guns, some of the rooms are to short, so you need to crouch, some of the trigger_pushes send you flying back and forth, and it took hours to compile because I can't find an alternative to the big-box technique! have fun!

I need help. :P

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »
alternative: dont have leaks

use leak check . i looked at your map. your map needs to be completely closed in. no holes. not even light should be able to escape through the tiniest hole in you map

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 10:26:14 AM »
He means, he knows it's bad to use the "big box technique", but if he didn't his map wouldn't work well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 05:50:49 PM »
Please follow the guide here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5149.0

Most of the problems you mentioned you should be able to fix without assistance.  As for the "big box" technique... well, by design your map is essentially open platforms in a big skybox.  The "undeground" area isn't drawn from above and visa versa, so it's probably about as good as you're going to get it.   The compile times are probably going to be really long no matter what you do.  What's taking the longest?  Light or vis?  Is it taking more than 1 day to compile?

gir

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:30 AM »
ok, I've fixed most of the bugs, (and realized that the elevators are pretty much useless), and I've finished the map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
I've attached a demo of things that need revising.  It still isn't ready for play testing.

gir

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 01:41:08 PM »
ok, I fixed the other bugs, and added a jail (and made use of my gir map), and I think I'm done, (and hope so, i'm getting sick of waiting a day for it to compile.)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »
Hah, i think the idea is quite cool! I still love your gir map better :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
Still needs some tweaking, and I think you still need to familiarize yourself with some of the capabilities of the level editor (you're using BSP, right?).  Demo attached.

gir

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 05:17:12 AM »
OK. I went and fixed every problem that I could possibly find. nothing was wrong until I compiled it.
I played it, and all problems ere gone, but IT WASN'T LIT! >:( I'm getting tired of this. here's the .bsp.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 12:01:40 PM »
Well, your map has no lights, which could be one reason why its not lit. ;) Also instead of killing people that go off of the edges, just put up some fencing so that they cannot go there.  Also, no offense but your texture scheme is really odd, and bland, and hurtful to the eyes.  I suggest giving everything a futuristic look, and surrounding the bases in the team color, with a solid color to the world and such.  This probably sounds confusing, but if your brain happens to work like mine, then you'll get it, otherwise, ask if you have questions.  Map is very improved over its old versions :), good job so far.
-Cusoman