Poll

Do you think there should be more font faces to choose from when you make your name in multiplayer steup?

yes
4 (16%)
no
16 (64%)
don't care
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: September 08, 2007, 07:24:45 PM

Author Topic: Different font faces  (Read 8003 times)

eradicator

• Autococker
Different font faces
« on: August 19, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »
I think there should be more.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Different font faces
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 07:29:38 PM »
Well, there are a lot already, and in my opinion, some are quite annoying.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »
Disable funnames altogether.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »
I side with Cobo and Spook.

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:58:29 PM »
um theres 4

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:15:51 PM »
That's quite a bit when you consider the fact that you're just typing your nick/name.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:41:22 PM »
I'm betting Jitspoe has to make those fonts, surely they're custom... sheesh the work:usefulness factor here is quite minimal.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 10:01:10 PM »
Disable funnames altogether.

Well, I think we should leave it so that clan tags can be funnamed, but not the player's name itself.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »
Colors and the crazy digital-font thing should be disabled. Some of the brackets and stuff are nice.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:09:31 AM »
notice that the people who female dog the most about this game and irc are the ones who hardly ever meddling play. stop whining and complaining meddling girl thingys.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11:54 AM »
The more colors and fonts, the better!

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:10:18 AM »
The more colors and fonts, the better!

* KiLo slaps ch40s around a bit with a large trout.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
notice that the people who booger the most about this game and irc are the ones who hardly ever  play. stop whining and complaining  girl thingys.
Ummm... I hate funname texts and yet I play everyday :o

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
notice that the people who booger the most about this game and irc are the ones who hardly ever  play. stop whining and complaining  girl thingys.
CoLa, this is not an opinion I gained after I stopped playing.
When I used to play, I hated them.

You seem to think Why do you think that just because we dont play the game that much our opinions dont matter.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 01:31:32 PM »
CoLa, this is not an opinion I gained after I stopped playing.
When I used to play, I hated them.

You seem to think Why do you think that just because we dont play the game that much our opinions dont matter.

because i do. all you are doing is complaining about how annoying this and that are.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
And all you do is complain about how we dislike some things.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »
It's not likely that a new font system is going to be implemented, so same ~2½ typeface limit will likely remain.  Fortunately the character map is one of the easiest pieces of content to modify in this game, so it shouldn't be too hard for someone to experiment with some different typefaces and post screenshots of their work that we could discuss and potentially vote on.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 07:22:43 PM »
And all you do is complain about how we dislike some things.
so no one wins =\

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 11:20:39 PM »
I'm getting so darned tired of everyone starting arguments within threads that relate in no way to the topic, seriously if you're going to whine about each other, don't spam someone else's topic.

On topic now, XtremeBain, is the character map content we CAN modify without getting banned?  If so, perhaps the solution for those who whine about not wanting fun names would be to just replace the "fun name" characters with the regular character so that those annoyed by fun names never see them.  Like wise, create another third-party character map with replacement characters for those like eradicator wanting a different look.

-y00tz

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 07:19:09 AM »
On topic now, XtremeBain, is the character map content we CAN modify without getting banned?

I doubt that even if it is checksum'd, jitspoe would be banning people who are only caught with that file modified.  Testing should be done offline anyway.

If so, perhaps the solution for those who whine about not wanting fun names would be to just replace the "fun name" characters with the regular character so that those annoyed by fun names never see them.

I guess this could be achieved by changing both the character map and the colour map, but that's a pretty messy hack, and would cause problems with some of the team-coloured strings.  I still think the best solution for these people (myself included) would be to make a cvar that doesn't apply the text formatting to names.

Like wise, create another third-party character map with replacement characters for those like eradicator wanting a different look.

This is so simple for anyone to do (well, easier than hud tweaks with rscripts), that I'm eager to see what sort of things people come up with.  Just open up pball\pics\conchars1.tga in GIMP/PS and start replacing characters.  I don't have either of these programs here at work, but you need to do some sort of light/colour transormation to make a similar conchars1ovb.tga if you're planning on distributing.  Luckily for us cl_hudscale takes care of all the scaling, but also you need to make sure they look good at 1x/2x/3x scales.