Author Topic: | Titian |  (Read 3461 times)

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
| Titian |
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:38:49 PM »
Well, about a year and a few months ago I decided I would start making a map.  I did not try to make a map the traditional way, whereas you have a (or at least a small) plan of what you are going to make.  I simply started at the base and started making brushes.  Now it is complete.  And Titian is born.  I toyed with several mid map ideas and felt this one suited it.  Now I know, your all going to say "The mid is too dark!".  Well yes, it is.  But that's the point.  I decided that i would like to have the brunt of the player collisions in their bases/sewers.  It also adds a new element of surprise to the game.  Whereas before you had to sneak around corners to surprise your target, you can now just crouch/walk towards the unsuspecting foe.

And here we are: Titian.

Also sorry about the quality of the screenshots.  I used hi-res textures, but I also have a 16mb video card  :\

If you can point anything out that needs fixing it would be a great help.

Download link: http://zilla-clan.net/upload/486547

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: | Titian |
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:45:22 PM »
Can we get a linkzor please? ;D

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
WOW, i remember helping you map the bases, very nice finish in mid.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:34:55 PM »
isn't there a map called titian already?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »
isn't there a map called titian already?

If so I don't have it.

QueeNiE: Looks like a good map. One thing I noticed right off the bat though: Barrel tops. They have their own texture.

I'll take a closer look at the map when it isn't so late.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:48:51 PM »
Yes there is a map named titian. You could just rename it to Titan or something like that.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »
i remember playing that map...need tops to your barrels i see though

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »
Here is the map titian for those of you who don't have it.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 08:52:02 AM »
Ah, I didn't even realize that there was already a map called this :( 

Also, in the next beta those barrel tops will be fixed.  I'll release it with a new thread, just because of my mix up with the names.  Sorry all.

But still feel free to post comments/suggestions until I decide to lock this thread :)

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
U can change the threadname, too.

The complete map needs more light. It's to dark. Only the ways on sshot63+sshot64 are enough.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
Also, in the next beta those barrel tops will be fixed.  I'll release it with a new thread, just because of my mix up with the names.

Please just rename and reuse this thread.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 07:16:21 PM »
Will do.   I still haven't figured out all the ways to work this crazy "forum" contraption yet ;)

(Just look at my post count o.O, it's been like that for a couple years now rofl)

U can change the threadname, too.

The complete map needs more light. It's to dark. Only the ways on sshot63+sshot64 are enough.

It's nighttime.  The darkness adds to the strategy and gameplay of the map. :)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »
Beautiful map man.  Look forward to playing it in the near future.  Good job man.

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 11:51:11 PM »
Dark maps have been talked about before, people will try to find a way to brighten their monitor to see into the dark areas. Being a professional camper/backshooter I'd like to have more dark spot in maps. Probably should at least provide some moonlight.

Quick run through it:
First of all it's a nice map with some cool ideas in it.
The rspeeds are quite high in some areas, mostly when the water halls are visible.
The doors either need to be thinner or move back so they retract into the walls (you can see them when retracted)
Some textures are out of alignment, like the barrels should have 3 rings, I'd drop the light on the X's they are laligned and don't seem to do anything. Some sewer lights have the light texture on the sides.
I really like your little waterfalls coming out of the sewer pipes, very cool. I'd suggest making that top front edge less than the 90 degrees it is... water doesn't do that and it seems it would be easy to make it a 45 or whatever.
Where is the tunnel corner light coming from? Magic lights?
I'd suggest making the middle shorter or adding trenches or something and I still think you could at least have some moonlight to give a little light.
How about moving that autococker to the top of the double headed light post? Put a carbine or something on the X.
Anyway, enough for now, looking good overall.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:43:35 AM by Krewzer »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »
I simply started at the base and started making brushes.
That's not the traditional way? :)

I've created a demo of things that need revising.  The r_speeds are really bad in some areas.  A big part of the problem is multiple levels of water.  This means multiple reflections need to be rendered and thus the whole area needs to be rendered 3 or 4 times.  Also, there are some areas that should be sealed off that are still getting really high r_speeds, like in the pipes.  Anyway, watch the demo (attached).  I've also put the map up on the beta server for play testing (see PM).

Oh, and I noticed the demo was really large, even though it was just me walking around and commenting on things.  This leads me to believe there are some effects in the map or something that are using a lot of bandwidth.  Might make the game laggy.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 08:45:13 AM »
It lags quite badly in many places horrible r_speeds throughout the map cut the r_speeds down though and it will be much better also I noticed a problem with the door showing through the wall.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
Yeah, I tested the map out with a few people and they all dropped fps to a quite low number.  I'm going to watch that demo now :)

Also, I had to set the -chopcurve higher than 128 JUST so that it would compile  :-\

wade

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 08:39:38 AM »
good map but i can't play it with my fps dropping every 10 seconds