Author Topic: Idea  (Read 2821 times)

MaDMaN

• VM-68
Idea
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »
It would be nice if each server had a set of dedicated tie maps.. Instead of spending bout 30 min complaining back and fourth.. the server would load a default tie map.. no matter what it is. you have to use it for tie.. =)

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
disclaimer... unless its one of the maps you already matched on, or propaint1 =P

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
Tie maps just need to be decided before the match - just like when you pick the maps to match on.

Problem solved.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
Maybe a set of 5 tie maps to choose from each month.  Each team would eliminate a map in turn until a final map is left.  The final map would be played as the tie map.

Pretty hard to get everyone on board with this idea until there is some sort of structured matching environment.

wade

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »
i like both MaDMaN and XtremeBains idea, anything is better then sitting there for 20 min picking a tie map instead of actually playing.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »
Maybe a set of 5 tie maps to choose from each month.  Each team would eliminate a map in turn until a final map is left.  The final map would be played as the tie map.

Pretty hard to get everyone on board with this idea until there is some sort of structured matching environment.

not a bad idea, but:
- who would pick the 5 maps? a "committee"? ;)
- explain that to teams that are... well, the teams with which it is most difficult to find a tiemap to agree on, because they only want to play stuff like Airtime

I think that the major problem will be that teams will not agree on it, as I think that more established clans find it easier to agree on a tiemap (because they play the same high-level maps usually)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
I haven't noticed any problem with the current system.

You talk it over, and eventually pick one.

Part of the fun is analyzing their style as you play and then picking something you think would favor your style over theirs.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:40:04 PM »
I think XBains idea is good maybe have a poll though.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
Part of the fun is analyzing their style as you play and then picking something you think would favor your style over theirs.

Unfortunately for most clans this creates the we refuse to play anything except shazam22 or airtime or <insert map here> because it's the only map we have a chance on mentality.  Once you get stuck on a server deciding a tie for 45mins a couple times in a single night you'll understand how horrible this is.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:04:26 AM »
I don't understand why everyone is against airtime. It's a map like every other map. It's ridiculous that some people refuses to play small maps just because they aren't good on them. If there will be 5 maps to choose, then there should be both kind of maps, big and small. I'm tired of people complaining about camping. If you can't stand camping, then you shouldn't match at all. I have no problem with the current system. I don't like this idea because i'm pretty sure there would just be some weird maps to choose like in dpcups and so. It might be hard to play some small map if your opponents only camp but it's hard for sure to play like first time some big map where u can't even find the flag.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
I think maps like shazam22 are defaulted as the tie map simply because its a simple map. You can either play shazam22 or you can't where as other maps are more grey. Its hard to get clans to agree on a decent match map, because if you suggest one, they automatically assume you must have been practicing it for the last month. Thats not the case all the time for the top 4 or so clans, but for others its very hard to pick anything other than a pub map.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »
Then maybe there should be a system of 5 maps and then a random function on the server that would select a random map from that group of 5 that would get picked for the match.

That would eliminate ANY arguments.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:54 AM »
Also if some of the aps aren't very well known there could be somewhere to download them off of that way if it's a large map and you don't have it it won't take a forever to download it and therefore pretty much ruin the match.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 09:27:52 AM »
I don't understand why everyone is against airtime. It's a map like every other map. It's ridiculous that some people refuses to play small maps just because they aren't good on them.

thats pretty funny because everytime i match against you on airtime you always seem to lose. =\

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 10:16:16 AM »

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
I didn't say you aren't good on it. Ij is like the only clan we lose against on it. And my point was just that If there will be 5 maps to choose, then there should be both kind of maps, big and small and no weird maps.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 01:15:35 PM »
I didn't say you aren't good on it. Ij is like the only clan we lose against on it. And my point was just that If there will be 5 maps to choose, then there should be both kind of maps, big and small and no weird maps.

I agree, big and small should not be an issue, but the quality of map should be. Airtime is a poor quailty match. Matches on it result in each team camping each base and lining over mid, therefore that map does not meet the criteria.

I'll just mention this again, size does not matter.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »

Unfortunately for most clans this creates the we refuse to play anything except shazam22 or airtime or <insert map here> because it's the only map we have a chance on mentality.  Once you get stuck on a server deciding a tie for 45mins a couple times in a single night you'll understand how horrible this is.

I think the most it has ever gone for us is about 3 minutes. But then we are a training clan, so if we lose it is not a tragedy.