Author Topic: Programming  (Read 11845 times)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Programming
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »
Hey guys I was just thinking how much I could do if I could learn to program well.
I was wondering if someone could either teach me the basics of programming or point me to some sort of guide to do so.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Programming
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:17 PM »
That link has so many links it scares me lol. By the way what programs should I use and are they free?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »
Learn C for this game, also read up on OpenGL.  As far as us teaching you goes, there's a lot you can learn from Google that would be better than what we could teach you.

Download an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that includes a C/C++ compiler.  Microsoft has Express Editions of all their products, so you could get one from them, or BloodShed has Dev-C++ based off of MinGW which would be another good choice.

Cobo posted a valuable link, it'd be a great start.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
Well the source for this game and most games made today are in C/C++. For programs, you need a c++ compiler. I suggest either Visual C++ compiler, which this games source is directly compiled in or Dev C++ compiler which is free!! The visual c++ one is expensive but worth it, or of course u could call upon the torrent master(kilo) and then it would be free. ;D
Dev C++ compiler:
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
EDIT:
y00tz beat me to posting. lol. but he is right in his post. the dev c++ like i gave u is an ide with a c/c++ compiler in it.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:37:40 PM »
Thanks guys I hope you'll see some stuff made by me come out soon :)
@cuso I think I'll stick with dev it look fine.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
cool. cant wait to see what you come out with. looking forward to it!!!! ;D

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:39:47 PM »
Before everyone here gives you their opinion, I have to ask: what are your goals for programming?  The reason I ask is because programming isn't what it used to be.  Do you want to be able to make a web service, a standalone program, a 3d program, data analysis tool?  I'd find something that you want to work towards making first.  You can read about C all you want, but you won't learn it unless you've applied it to something you want to do.  Give us some ideas of what you're looking at making, and we'll point you in the right direction.  PB2 was my inspiration on a few languages I've picked up.

Examples:
TCL - Because I wanted to make a !match bot that was 24/7 and not some hosted on someone's mIRC
PHP/MySQL - Wanted to make a cool Members page on the sP website
Perl - wanted to make a half-fast stdlog stats parser that would interface with PHP easily

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
What would you refer to as a web service?

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
If you are looking to help this game, understanding opengl is  important too. (the game renders 3d in opengl).
This link takes you to opengl tutorials for c++ and other languages. Even VB6! This helped me because i knew vb6 and saw how it all went together.
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ ;D ;D ;D

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »
by webservice i think he means making websites accesible by groups of people. this website ur on right now is a good example ;)
edit:
doh, double post lol. at least they are on different subjects.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »
Thanks again cuso by the way I never knew you programmed. I think probably a data analysis tool or a standalone program. I know this all seems kind of like I have no clue where to start and all but I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out with it.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:49:45 PM »
well actually i am a pretty bad programmer. :P but i have programmed in c++ and can understand it when i read it.vb6 tho is what i am good at. still i can help u get going. personally i think c++ in confusing and i am still trying to figure lots of it out. :o
edit:
i havent seen any updates on your tunnel map. i was looking forward to that one getting finished. :)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »
A webservice would be a website that provides a particular service.  This forum is considered one.  Maybe you'd like to create a site that handled the scheduling and coordination of DP pickup games for example.  Tutorials will show you how to make "hello world" or neat effect applications, the hard part is finding something worth making and doing it right :)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Learn C for this game, also read up on OpenGL.  As far as us teaching you goes, there's a lot you can learn from Google that would be better than what we could teach you.
Well, I dont think starting with C and openGL would go very good.
I think that what XtremeBain is saying is very true.

I think I started programming because I was really interested in stuff like that, and wanted to learn more.
First thing I tried was learning c++, I didnt even know what c++ but there I was, trying to compile a simple Hello World program, and I failed XD
I took a break, then I tried again, failed again.
Then I think I learned mIRC scripts, it was good experience, I guess, because the next time I tried with c++ I got it.

I didnt stick with native c++, tho, I quickly found out about Visual Studio's express editions and found managed c++, I learned about how CLR programs worked, then I found out about c# and I moved on to that, and I learned more.

Later after that I decided that I should start using some more 'professional' languages, and went back to managed c++, and then I started learning C with the DP2 source, then I learned win32 api in C and then I moved to Native C++ :)

So thats my story, my point is: It'll happen if you apply yourself :)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »
@XB Maybe I'd like to get good first so the DP pickup site doesn't look like excrement.
@cuso Oh I'm still going to continue it I'm just a bit busy helping max out with Crimson Elite designing maps getting, new hud, making a banner etc.
Thanks Cobo I will apply myself fully. By the way I understand the scientific calcuator (although I still don't know what Bin stands for lol) does that count?

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 03:00:48 PM »
@Cobo:
inspiring!!!!!!!! ;D actually that was inspiring and true as i failed my first c++ compile ever. xd xd
edit:
bin stands for binary :D

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »
By the way I understand the scientific calcuator (although I still don't know what Bin stands for lol) does that count?
Not really.

Programming works quite differently from a scientific calculator.

Programs are written in things called 'Programming Languages' C, C++, C#, Basic, are some of them.

To make a program you would first create whats called 'Source Code'. This is just a file where the coding is done, and then you would pass that file to something called 'Compiler' and it creates your source into an actual program.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 03:08:43 PM »
I didn't think so but there is always hope lol.
Thanks Cobo cuso is right :)

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
i wanted to be inspiring toooooo. so i made a useless program for u in vb6. just run it!!