Author Topic: Programming  (Read 11841 times)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Re: Programming
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »
Lol how'd you make that so fast.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
actually visual basic (vb6) is really easy to learn. plus its a Gui/code language unlike native c++. Gui means graphical user interface. in vb6 you drag and drop the things u want. i dragged a timer and a label to the form.(the thing u drag to)
then i 'coded' the timer to flash the label on and off every half second. VB6 is a good beginner language because you can see what you are coding!! w00t.
tho it isnt as simple as just writing:
"flash the label 1/2 second" it is actuall coding and properties and such.
edit:
it took me longer to write that then the program XD

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 03:33:07 PM »
C# has all the 'visual' elements and is a good transition to more complex languages.

With REAL syntax.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 11:46:18 PM »
Learn C for this game, also read up on OpenGL.  As far as us teaching you goes, there's a lot you can learn from Google that would be better than what we could teach you.
Well, I dont think starting with C and openGL would go very good.
I think that what XtremeBain is saying is very true.
Hey guys I was just thinking how much I could do if I could learn to program well.

His first post says he wants to program WELL, I thought it was implied he's programmed before, now he wants to do stuff right and contribute to the game's source code.  Either way I was throwing out some general information for him about the game's source.  I realize that if he is a complete newb, he's not going to jump straight into OpenGL.

-y00tz

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »
No, I haven't y00tz I was saying I want to learn how to do it and do it well but I see how that could be confusing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 12:47:51 PM »
Visual studio is probably the best IDE to use, and you can grab the express edition for free now.  You'll also need Microsoft's platform SDK to compile most stuff.  I've heard good things about Eclipse as well, but never used it.  I'd say just grab some sample code and tinker.  That's how I learn best.  Reading and tutorials only get you so far.  Messing with stuff on your own is how you really learn.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
Visual studio is probably the best IDE to use, and you can grab the express edition for free now.  You'll also need Microsoft's platform SDK to compile most stuff.  I've heard good things about Eclipse as well, but never used it.  I'd say just grab some sample code and tinker.  That's how I learn best.  Reading and tutorials only get you so far.  Messing with stuff on your own is how you really learn.
tru dat!!!
but really visual basic is a good way to start out and you can download the express edition for free.http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718406.aspx
tho i still prefer the VB6, its not free.
but like jitspoe said, you need the .net framework to compile, but it will install it if you dont have it already.
w00t!!! get programming ;)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 01:32:45 PM »
Oooh, I agree with some of the points made here.

Apocalypse, I think if you just search for some basic tutorials of the fundamentals behind what programming is. Then try and think of something you'd like to create, or perhaps look at something and thing "hmm, i'd like to make one of those". Learning something with purpose to it will help you a lot, or else it could all get very confusing very fast, especially if you have little experience before hand.

I've heard good things about Eclipse as well, but never used it.

We use Eclipse and its a very nice tool, free and easy for the beginner to setup, but very powerful when you get some more experience.

Soo yeah, try and think of a small project you'd like to complete, then read up specifically on how to achieve that goal. When you work yourself through it slowly you'll realise you've actually picked up a lot more than you thought you would, and have something real YOU created at the end of it, ask any developers here and thats a lovely feeling to have. We'll be around to help you out if you get really stuck (but try and work it out for yourself first :P)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 07:03:45 AM »
Where can I download Eclipse? Also one thing I'm thinking about doing no clue how to but it would be cool :/ is I've seen people say they were missing textures for maps and couldn't figure out what they were or where to get them multiple times so I was thinking there must be something in the bsp that says what the textures are used for each thing and I want to make something that you choose a map and it will see if you have the textures for it and if you don't have all of them it will download the ones you need is that possible?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 07:43:28 AM »
Where can I download Eclipse? Also one thing I'm thinking about doing no clue how to but it would be cool :/ is I've seen people say they were missing textures for maps and couldn't figure out what they were or where to get them multiple times so I was thinking there must be something in the bsp that says what the textures are used for each thing and I want to make something that you choose a map and it will see if you have the textures for it and if you don't have all of them it will download the ones you need is that possible?
Its possible if you manage to read what the bsp file has.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 07:49:59 AM »
Any idea how to do that?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:00:45 AM by Apocalypse »

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 08:06:47 AM »
Nope.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
I'll PM Jits he might know.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
Recommendation from someone who has many years experience with the C family of programming languages(including but not limited to C, C++, and C#):

Download Visual C++ 2005 Express(free version) and the Microsoft Platform SDK. The visual studio suite of IDEs are basically kind in the programming world(on windows, on mac it's xcode, and nix it varies). Buy a book on C++(I recommend Thinking in C++, very good book). You can learn through online tutorials, but a hard, professional copy is always better(I wish I had bought a book when I was new).. Any questions you have, I recommend asking them on the gamedev.net forums under the "For Beginners" section, or you can track me down, Deranged on GGC, FreeNode, and AfterNet.

Good luck.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 05:43:42 PM »
Recommendation from someone who has many years experience with the C family of programming languages(including but not limited to C, C++, and C#):

Including but not limited too?  C-- ? Hax.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »
The best IDE for C# is, hands down, SharpDevelop.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 06:23:43 PM »

Including but not limited too?  C-- ? Hax.

The C family is pretty big. Java, J#(and its variants), PHP, and objective C are also in the C family, I just listed the main 3.

I Visual C# 2005 Team Suite is like sex in IDE form..

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 09:16:22 PM »
What does SharpDevelop has that VS doesnt?

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 11:32:29 PM »

the question would be, why use sharpdevelop when even the lowest edition of vs2005 is more feature rich.. sharp develop is more if you want to use the MONO toolkit instead of the official .NET framework.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 12:58:46 AM »
Freeness. I like it a ton more than VS.