Author Topic: Jersey Designs  (Read 11496 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Jersey Designs
« on: June 16, 2005, 11:10:24 AM »
We need to design at least one jersey for the player model.  I'm thinking we'll do our own design(s) first, then contact some companies to see if they'd be interested in having their products appear in the game -- maybe even get some sponsorship going on.

Though if we want to make everything GPL compatible, things like company logos and designs... I don't know how that would work.

Anyway, I just threw together a couple sketches last night.  The first is pretty bleh, but the second might work out.

http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/images/devel/jersey_sketch1.jpg

http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/images/devel/jersey_sketch2.jpg

I need to find a pencil.  Pens aren't the best for sketching. :)

Feel free to contribute your own ideas.  Don't use any copyrighted designs, though.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Jersey Designs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
Here's a simple idea I did on my lunch break...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 08:30:50 PM »
I like one and two more than the lunch break one.

EDIT: Hey, we can have multiple skins! PUT 'EM ALL IN!

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 08:44:29 PM »
we need ONE for now
Once we get one completely skinned model we'll look at others.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 01:59:10 AM »
I think I might use some nature as inspiration...

http://www.insects.org/entophiles/lepidoptera/lepi_en039.html

That just has "cool paintball jersey" written all over it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 03:15:56 AM »
Hm, maybe a bit much?

(just a quick scribble with that design)

Looks kinda cool though -- I'll definitely have to make a skin like that at some point but I don't think it schould be the default.  I think I'm going to go ahead with sketch #2 -- something about it looks like a professional jersey.

As for multiple skins -- I don't have time to make more than one -- there's a crapload of other stuff that still needs to be done.  I don't know if I'll even get multiple skin support put in for the next build, at least not where you can select each component individually.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 06:41:33 PM »
The sinew and bones look, I like .

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 01:58:46 AM »
Started on design #2:

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »
WOW, Some of these new ideas for jerseys are WICKED AWSOME!  God I can wait to get my new computer and download this stuff to make DP looking wicked awsome with lots of cool new features, keep up the good work guys, NICE JOB ALL.

-Termin8oR

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 12:55:14 PM »
 :o

Pretty...

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 11:44:30 AM »
I have been drawing some Jersey designs and I think some of them are cool looking, I will scan them soon and add color and see if you like them or not! :D

-Termin8oR

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
I was also thinking that on the front and back of each Jersey the player could have his/her selected player number like a football or soccer jersey. And on the back of the jerseys maybe a white stiching of the players selected name, but with a maximum amount of characters on the jersey so it doesnt go all the way around the jersey cause I know people would do that! :D
Please think about it, it would be a cool feature to have on such nice looking jerseys!

-Termin8oR

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 12:53:18 PM »
This idea of numbers and names is very good, because it will show that  the teams (especially the teams in clanwars) are belonging together.
It also makes each playermodel more unique.
If you put this feature in, Painball will more and more approach to games like CS with its differences in  jersey designs.

Please post, if this can be/will be included sometimes. ;)

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 02:56:40 AM »
This idea of numbers and names is very good, because it will show that  the teams (especially the teams in clanwars) are belonging together.
sometimes. ;)

.... colors?  :o i dont need a number to see if these ppl belong to my team ::)

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 07:06:55 AM »
sometimes. ;)

It also makes each playermodel more unique.

Numbers will make the model unique, not to see in which team the players are.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 08:17:27 AM »
I kinda like the idea of numbering the jersey with the player number (makes it alot easier to find out which player number you need to kick...hehe).
Placing the players name on the back of the jersey would ROCK.
Maybe limit the jersey name display to eight characters. So if your in-game name was "Jack Offenhiemer" the jersey would only show the first eight characters of that name, "Jack Off". I like that idea!!!

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 08:49:19 AM »
But if you have bigger clantags like [-DarkP-], this will waste nearly all characters ::)

sry about my bad english ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 11:47:32 AM »
Then there should be Nick and JerseyNick (max 6~10 char).

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 06:06:09 PM »
I have some other tideas but I will post them when I finish my Jersey designs on paper... Trust me I have spent a great amount of time on this idea and I hope to see it used in the future.
Thank You
-Termin8oR

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 12:51:13 PM »
I was actually considering the numbered jersey idea a while back, but I don't know if there's enough time to mess with that right now -- we want to get this done before dpcon.  Another idea I had would be to have a clan logo that could be used on the front of the jersey, but I have concerns about that being abused, much like the sprays in half-life/CS -- either with offensive images or bright colors that make it difficult to tell what team the player is on.  The other problem is if we start using commercial jersey designs, like dye and jt -- I don't think they'd appreciate having their logo covered up by some clan logo.  I suppose the custom logos could just be disabled for those jerseys...

Of course, we could go all out and make it like Need for Speed Underground where you can select from a whole bunch of different designs and put them together in various combinations.  That would be difficult to regulate, though -- in order to make sure players have enough of their team color and don't do something like make solid black jerseys.  It would also be difficult to map the textures so they'd work well and not be stretched/distorted.  And with tons of unique jerseys, video memory usage might become a large concern, too...

As for names on the jerseys.  That could be done, but as mentioned, spacing will be difficult.  Having a different name for the jersey and player would also be complicated as I'm sure people will use completely different names just to confuse people or pretend to be somebody else.

For now, though: one model, one skin, no super fancy features.  We'll move on from there.