Author Topic: There is no shame in being a noob clan--What I learned from InT  (Read 6377 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Rept and I started InT in order to introduce people to the scrim scene, and to simply get experience by doing.

I had joined aB-t, and while it is billed as a training clan, they have quite high expectations. I realized I was not going to be meeting them. I had never been in any scrim when I joined, and there was far too much that I was not able to do. Therefore I stepped down so they would not be dragged down by my lack of performance.

At the same time I had seen Rept around and knew he could play pretty well. We decided to start a training clan that was not sponsored by a larger clan.  We freely admitted we were not (and are not) a top-tier clan.

Since then we have been scrimming often, and learning a lot. One of our recruits when from not being able to strafe at all to being a quality player. It was exciting to watch folks get a chance to be a part of something.

Along the way I learned some lessons:

a. There is no shame in not being a top clan. Not everyone will be at the top. But you can still have fun scrimming people around your level.

b. There IS shame in being a poorly organized clan. The real knock on noob clans is not that they are less skilled but that some don't have any way to communicate with each other, let alone find a scrim. If you are starting a clan please get the usual messengers aim, msn, yahoo, xfire (preferred) , etc. for internal communication.

Also consider joining the big boys in irc.

c. You may benefit more from a noob clan with less expectations because you have the freedom to mess up. You won't win every scrim. But you will get better.

d. Trash talking, back biting etc. kills a clan. No one likes to be around jerks.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
Re: There is no shame in being a noob clan--What I learned from InT
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
One of our recruits when from not being able to strafe at all to being a quality player.

;D

Big thanks to m7, rept, and game-over (now known as theflash).

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »
a. There is no shame in not being a top clan. Not everyone will be at the top. But you can still have fun scrimming people around your level.

Also consider joining the big boys in irc.

a. is not true every clan that I have been in recently is not a top clan but a rather decent clan and the only clans that we can find to match are either the top clans or the completely noob clans.

There is no one ever in your IRC channel.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:02:18 PM »
Just when we are looking for scrims :)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:12:17 PM »
Glad its working out :) QeHs started from humble beginnings too, small group of guys who stuck together and learnt rather than argued even when getting beaten to a pulp in pbcup every week! Idle irc all the time so we can get to know your team!!

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:01:52 PM »
hehe loved playing with you guys, and is this like a clan going away thread? i hope not. anyways good luck with future clans, experiences and joys of life :P

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 07:08:52 PM »
I'm really seeing improvement in u guys. Keep it up.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:19:33 PM »
We are not going away any time soon. At least not that I am aware of :)

I am going to be away for a bit myself while I move here soon. But the rest will no doubt carry on.

Rept

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:02:34 PM »
Appreciate the positive feedback from everyone so before I start, Thank you.

It has been a lot of fun recently, we have won some games, lost some games, and played some close ones. But this is not what is most important. The idea that keeps m7 and myself pushing forward is in the support and effort we see every day in our recruits. More than 1 of which was unable to strafe and is now rather proficient and moving onto and excelling at many of the multiple jumps and double/triple jump tactics.

And as m7 said as a clan we are not much competition for the top-tier clans , nor do we hold ourselves to that level. And I think the idea of not caring who we scrim in terms of difficulty has provided some of the best lessons there is on how to addapt and progress based on your opponents. Getting crushed in a game is a good reality check to your progression anyways and should be taken in stride.

In fact Myself and game-over(theFlash) may be watching pubs to find an eager friendly face in the comming days/weeks to expand our group a player or two to avoid the situation of people getting caught up in their quest for knowledge thats began to plague us now that most classes have begun.

To step a little into the item on trash talking, this is getting pretty bad recently. Spamming, unflattering language and abusive terms. Another plaguing problem is the fact of some of the newer clans leaving in scrimmages on the 2nd map or tie break if they get behind or lose the first map. Which is fine i don't wish to harass anyone into staying if they wish to give up but i do wish they could continue to play if only for the practice or to be courteous to us.  Commonly when asking why someone has left they reply saying its meerly a scrimage I cant be bothered to dedicate the time to a game that doesnt count.  :-\

As to lekky, we are not on mirc that much at all just usually when we are looking for a game which is the curse of our ventrilo chat i suppose. I will make an effort to stop in every so often when I can in the hopes that we can meet. :)

As to m7feettall we all extend our best wishes with the move for himself and his family and look forward to the day we have him back to play with us.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
Most people simply leave their irc client open just like they would msn or aim. It helps if you want to match clans that don't leave half way through a match :P You should really come to irc and idle there, the clients barely use any of your pc resources so there's no excuse!!

Rept

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »
people leaving has occured through some mirc gathered clans as well =/. I have my machine constantly up and down, so mircs a bother in most cases. But ill consider throwing it up on some of my longer sessions.

Actually if i get a chance to ban a few select people who enjoy spamming me ill probably have it up more often.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
congrats m7 and rept for posting something positive. it's good to know that there are people who plays just for fun! :) i wish there are more people like you promoting fairplay and fun.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 10:39:36 PM »
i wish there are more people like you promoting fairplay and fun.

Wrong back when my clan matched them they were talkin excrement up until we kicked their ass on their map.

Actually if i get a chance to ban a few select people who enjoy spamming me ill probably have it up more often.

I'm one of those people that spam you because you won't 1v6 me.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:08:44 AM by Dirty_Taco »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 06:45:40 AM »
Jerks enjoy being around jerks...?

DT, I believe that in the majority of cases, m7feettall's statement holds true, the exception defines the rule as they say.

I also partly agree with your first paragraph. This game holds nothing on other online games, being the best in this game means literally zero when compared to being the best in some other online games. That will always be the case simply due to the age of this game. I think aspiring to be in a top clan is the wrong way to put it. You make it sound as if its some peoples dream for life, aim to be in a top clan yes, that in itself is some reward for getting better at this game.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:30:22 AM »
Hoorray...congrats...love it all....good stuff..."pats on backs"...and all that.

A few things to keep in mind:
1) DT knows everything so don't argue with him.
2) Competition and talking smack go hand in hand. You can try to fool yourself into thinking that "respectful, gentelmenly, upstanding" competitors don't/won't talk smack, but that is wishful thinking at best. The top competitors are driven. They search and exploit any and all advantages to win. Talking smack is a way of adding NOS to the engine, if you will. It amps people up. It makes them push and drive harder for victory. It also goes hand in hand with arrogance. What most top competitors don't show in smack talking, they make up for in intimidation through arrogance. Not every competitor, sure. But smack talking and arrogance in competition is the rule, not the exception. Unless you're Roger Federer and just beat the crap out of everyone with a quirky smile on your face that intimidates through looking bored that there is no competition to challenge you.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 09:16:37 AM »
Congrats guys when I saw this topic I thought you guys were disbanding but I'm glad your going to keep it up.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 09:45:30 AM »
eR33t/20ID has been doing a lot of this since its inception. This clan is also the longest lasting clan in DP by far. I don't believe any other clan comes close. Further, I'm also pretty sure we have more total matches played than any other clan in existence. So it appears that we stand as a marked contradiction to that statement.

Your right on the longest lasting clan in DP, but i have to say Insane Junction has been the most active currently with 765 wins and 103 losses. So im sure we have also played the most matches in DP.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 09:53:07 AM »
Your right on the longest lasting clan in DP, but i have to say Insane Junction has been the most active currently with 765 wins and 103 losses. So im sure we have also played the most matches in DP.

We're missing about 400 losses from our record that we never counted, so really we have more matches.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 09:57:29 AM »
keep up the good work M. i enjoy playing dp with fellows from INT.