Author Topic: [Feature] Crouch Sliding  (Read 16724 times)

coLa

• Autococker
[Feature] Crouch Sliding
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:07:10 PM »
I think this feature would enhance game play quite a bit. In real life paintball, players run and slide from bunker to bunker. I think this would be a great addition to the game. What do you guys think?

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Crouch sliding
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:53:45 PM »
Sounds like fun to me.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:28:20 AM »
Who would vote no? i recently downloaded a game that has this feature and its fun as hell. which is why i thought it would help spice this game up a bit.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 02:23:08 AM »
Um, so, you are strafeing ith good speed then hit some bind which would make u crouch and since u have good speed you will slide?

Or how exaclty would this work?

I voted yes :D.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:17:51 AM »
Feature Vote :p

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:23:41 AM »
A lot more needed for this game than sliding...A LOT!

I voted NO because this feature, although it may be cool, is so far down the list of things to do to DP it isn't even funny.

I would place snap shooting/leaning way before this.
Implementing a feature such as sliding would involve an enormous amount of work. The engine that defines the rules of the slide, the key binding to initiate a slide, and the new character animations and sound to present the slide are some of the things involved.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:25 AM »
Um, so, you are strafeing ith good speed then hit some bind which would make u crouch and since u have good speed you will slide?

Or how exaclty would this work?

They have it in quake4, it's pretty neat.

Quote from: http://www.truecarnage.com/quake-4-crouch-sliding-tutorial-r7.htm
In short, the technique is simply to hit and hold the crouch key just before you land from a jump or bounce pad. As you crouch release the forward key for greater speed. You will notice that if you let up on crouch before you run out of momentum you get an updward surge that is basically a strafe jump. You can hold some pretty amazing speed going into turns or corners with nice control as the movie demonstrates.

You can see the article/video here: http://www.truecarnage.com/quake-4-crouch-sliding-tutorial-r7.htm

I never thought to implement crouch sliding in DP, I really think it fits the game alot better than air-control (cpm or warsow style).

Implementing a feature such as sliding would involve an enormous amount of work. The engine that defines the rules of the slide, the key binding to initiate a slide, and the new character animations and sound to present the slide are some of the things involved.

The sound and player animation aren't exactly necessary, not sure if Q4 has either of these specifically for crouch slides.  There is no key to bind, it's just an engine's physics extension to the existing crouch.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:52:06 AM »
This sounds pretty neat, I think this will be one of the few 'radical' ideas that a lot of big names get on board with.

-y00tz

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:31:18 AM »
I voted yes it will really inhance the game play alot just make sure it doesn't make it like your running (standing) on ice or something.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »
inhance

That would actually be enhance there young sir.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 08:02:26 AM »
Hey I'm tired :P

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
yah no need to bind extra buttons. just gain speed by strafing and hit your crouch bind and slide. depending on how fast you were going thats how far you will slide. they have this feature in Urban Terror. its really fun.

i actually think that would be a waste.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »
Is it anything like when you go down a 45 degree angle slope in this game, and just hit crouch and stop walking, how you keep going? That's implemented in the game, you could possibly use part of the code for that for crouch sliding.

Great Idea btw, + all the way.
CROUCH SLIDE FTW

And for the sound, you could have someone slide something through some gravel to make the sliding noise, it would take at max 5 minutes to get it converted to .wav or the appropriate file type.

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 07:10:19 PM »
That would be wicked, but i think u should slide on ur belly. :)

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 07:25:05 PM »
What a horrible idea, everyone knows strafe jumping is realistic enough in DP. Any more realistic and it might not be fun.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 10:25:24 PM »
What a horrible idea, everyone knows strafe jumping is realistic enough in DP. Any more realistic and it might not be fun.

LMFAO! </3

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »

I support that.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »
hmm, nice idea. I'm pretty sure most people must have used sliding whilst crouched anyway. I'd love to see it implemented.

EDIT: leaning is horrible. We want to encourage speed and sliding does that, not leaning. (I don't even know what snap shooting means..)

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 11:25:09 PM »
this game is way too fast paced for leaning thats for sure.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
This will make it possible to go through many windows, wont it? If yes, then it's no good because the mapmaker has designed his map for playing without crouch sliding. You can reach enough areas by strafeing and circle-jumping. No need for other methods.
But i support your creativity. :P