Author Topic: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License  (Read 1296 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
"Michael Righi was arrested in Ohio over the weekend after refusing to show his receipt when leaving Circuit City. When the manger and 'loss prevention' employee physically prevented the vehicle he was a passenger in from leaving the parking lot, he called the police, who arrived, searched his bag and found he hadn't stolen anything. The officer then asked for Michael's driver's license, which he declined to provide since he wasn't operating a motor vehicle. The officer then arrested him, and upon finding out Michael was legally right about not having to provide a license, went ahead and charged him with 'obstructing official business' anyways."

Link to story HERE

Now, being that Houston is a "sanctuary city", If you get caught without a driver's license and you look *non-white*, they can't ask your legal status PLUS can't ( read here - WONT) do anything to you but let you go on your merry way.  GG Mr. Mayor Bill White.

But yet another store that I will no longer be going to.  But if they ever tried that crap in Texas, I would be feared for my life and retaliate.

GG Glock 23.  Idiots.  The stores here will have serious issues trying to detain you off of store property.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure he crazy-overreacted there. THEY didn't call the police- he did. The manager coming out and trying to keep them from leaving was too far on their part, but then he called the police and refused to show his driver's license.

He's just wasting everyone's time by being uppity and making a huge fuss about it.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:14 PM »
Rights are rights Eiii.  I've been asked to have my vehicle searched (I do possess a weapon in the Jeep occasionally, and it's usually not concealed) and I've denied a police officer that too.  Do I have something to hide? Of course not, I just know my rights and frankly don't like others touching my property.

Even if he did "crazy-overreact" and did call the cops, it's within his rights.  Let's not resort to the "the rape victim deserves it because of how she dressed" case.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:45:26 PM »
Let's not resort to the "the rape victim deserves it because of how she dressed" case.

She did deserve it because of how she dressed though. :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »
Are you kidding me?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:18:27 PM »
He has his rights, but he's blatantly abusing them.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:06:16 AM »
He has his rights, but he's blatantly abusing them.

how was he abusing them? hope thats a joke.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:20:20 AM »
It's really not.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 03:03:33 AM »
how was he abusing his rights though? you didnt answer that question.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:51:06 AM »
The problem that I have with receipt checking is that the business is automagically assuming that you are guilty. I have huge issues with that and do not frequent businesses that preach that, with only 2 exceptions: Sam's club and Fry's.

I would REALLY have a huge problem if someone tried to prevent me from leaving a parking lot after NOT being accused of stealing.

Slippery slope people, slippery slope......

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 07:32:19 AM »
She did deserve it because of how she dressed though. :P

Okay y00tzy I was just kidding there but in some cases that statement is true. Click the link below to see what I mean.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/10149309/detail.html