Author Topic: Noob clan network!  (Read 8249 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Noob clan network!
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
The second-tier clan scene is starting to pick up. At InT we went several weeks playing 1-4 scrims a night. That is some good fun and practice!

Now we are facing more challenges, and many of the clans, I am excited to say, are getting better. Some that were not beating us before are now. Congrats to them!  We can all learn together.

We need to take it to the next level.  To do this noob clans need to get organized.

I realize that for the established clans irc is the way to do that. For noob clans...honestly it is confusing for some.  Trying to give out irc info to those who are not already on the network, while in a pub, is frustrating.

Most noob clans use tools that they already have, aim, xfire, msn, etc. to coordinate their team and get scrim info.

So if you are in a new clan and want to find scrims :

A. PLEASE get on xfire preferrably, or at least aim, so that you can communicate.  Xfire is useful for messaging while in-game.

B. Make sure your members all have the info for the other members so you can find them for a scrim.  There is nothing more frustrating than asking someone if they have two's or three's for a scrim and having them say "I don't know....I never know who is on."

C. Post your xfire or aim here so that we can make a list of noob clans wanting scrims.

D. Do yourself a favor and get teamspeak or ventrillo for voice communication. Without it you are at a serious disadvantage.

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Noob clan network!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »
A. PLEASE get on xfire preferrably, or at least aim, so that you can communicate.  Xfire is useful for messaging while in-game.

B. Make sure your members all have the info for the other members so you can find them for a scrim.  There is nothing more frustrating than asking someone if they have two's or three's for a scrim and having them say "I don't know....I never know who is on."

C. Post your xfire or aim here so that we can make a list of noob clans wanting scrims.

D. Do yourself a favor and get teamspeak or ventrillo for voice communication. Without it you are at a serious disadvantage.

For A refer to D.

For B & C just get IRC and idle there.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
InT Contact info:

Xfire: (preferred)
InT - Rept = Sunblade
InT - m7feettall = m7feettall
InT - VeNoM2 = bobbyhill7
InT - iframedu2 = iframedu2
InT - Nopyo = Nopyo

Aim
InT - Game-over = hurlyman06

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »
For A refer to D.

For B & C just get IRC and idle there.

Incidentally, having not used the voice feature in xfire much, is it any good?

Does it use direct p2p or a server to do voice?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »
InT Contact info:

Xfire: (preferred)
InT - Rept = Sunblade
InT - m7feettall = m7feettall
InT - VeNoM2 = bobbyhill7
InT - iframedu2 = iframedu2
InT - Nopyo = Nopyo

Aim
InT - Game-over = hurlyman06

I reiterate just get all your members on IRC.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »
I reiterate just get all your members on IRC.

Thanks, but we can work with reality or dream utopian dreams.

Most noob clans don't use it. We use it occasionally, but only if we want to play those who frequent it, which tend to be the better clans.

Xfire actually works great for us when we have contact info, and I prefer it to irc.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
But irc has greater advantages. For one it gets the whole community together. It allows coordination and news to spread. Those other things are great for in clan organisation, but do mush less than irc when integrating with the community.

Come on now m7feettall, help out the newer community and come to irc. When people see its simply a chat program and not some scary monster it will be better for this community.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »
I agree Lek, but to the "pub" player just getting into the clan scene, they probably have or are familiar with IM/VoIP programs and XFire would be easier.  However as they become more involved in the clan scene, IRC will most likely be their choice.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
We hope, but m7feettall's attitude is similar to alot of guys i've spoken too in pubs. They don't seem to understand what irc is.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »
well maybe we should fix the irc link on dp site it still connects to etg when were on gcc

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
well maybe we should fix the irc link on dp site it still connects to etg when were on gcc

Not for discussion here, see the Feature vote thread.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »
Still no good, people enter that and leave straight away, presumably by going to another page. That doesn't help in giving people some indication of what irc is.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »
lekky let me explain to most of the pub players ive talked to they still think we are on etg when we arent sometimes i get ppl asking me u mean irc on the site im like no the program + not every one understands mirc and some ppl simply dont want to

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 02:37:18 PM »
m7feettall is talking about a noob clan network, is it too much to ask, for us to reserve this thread to talk about it, rather than how to get newbs on IRC?  IRC Integration is an excellent topic worth starting a new thread, but for now, reserve this for "noob clans" interested in the network.

-y00tz

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »
from what ive seen.. people that dont have irc tend to not visit the forums so they wont even know about this thread. is this thread for debate on an irc network or for a place for clans to leave a way  for other clans to get a hold of them.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 02:49:49 PM »
Actually 85% of the people who idle in IRC dont usually come to the forums.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
"pub" player
Please don't make me explain how much I hate that term again.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »
I say come up with a IRC program thats alot easier to use. Alot of people I know turned away from IRC cause of how difficult it is to use. I know how to use it ok. I still dont know alot of things concernin it.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 03:39:53 PM »
I say come up with a IRC program thats alot easier to use. Alot of people I know turned away from IRC cause of how difficult it is to use. I know how to use it ok. I still dont know alot of things concernin it.

:P

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »
xfire should integrate with IRC (and maybe Vent or TS). That would be the best gaming communication program ever.