Author Topic: The Reason We Need Standardized Scrimming/Matching Rules  (Read 3036 times)

KiLo

• Autococker
The Reason We Need Standardized Scrimming/Matching Rules
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:22:38 PM »
One of my clan mates sends me a PM on IRC and says we have a match. I ask him with who and he says PB. I then ask him for the server info and he says the PB Server. So we go in and they have it on expert 6 (all autocockers) so then they restart the map and it is on expert 2 this time (all stingrays). Again they restart the map and it is in expert 5 (all carbines) we said whatever only because it was airtime. Anyways we start playing and I notice that one of their players spawns very quickly so when I die I see that the elim time is only 20 seconds. I told them that I was getting a GT and we would play there. They said no and then I then said a few choice words to them and I was kicked. I go back in the server and they were saying that they won the match. So I got kicked again and try to reconnect and I receive the temp ban message. So I go back on IRC and talk to my clan mate and he says that he was also temp banned.

Anyways I know this is not the first time that this has happened to a clan therefore I do feel that we need to have some kind of standardized matching rules, besides what is here.

My suggestion is right now is to not match/scrim the PB clan for the reasons listed above and because I also believe there was some suspicious game play by one of their members although I can not substantiate this. So like I said just don't match/scrim them. You have been warned about how they behave.

Nitroboy

• VM-68
Re: The Reason We Need Standardized Scrimming/Matching Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »
One of my clan mates sends me a PM on IRC and says we have a match. I ask him with who and he says PB. I then ask him for the server info and he says the PB Server. So we go in and they have it on expert 6 (all autocockers) so then they restart the map and it is on expert 2 this time (all stingrays). Again they restart the map and it is in expert 5 (all carbines) we said whatever only because it was airtime. Anyways we start playing and I notice that one of their players spawns very quickly so when I die I see that the elim time is only 20 seconds. I told them that I was getting a GT and we would play there. They said no and then I then said a few choice words to them and I was kicked. I go back in the server and they were saying that they won the match. So I got kicked again and try to reconnect and I receive the temp ban message. So I go back on IRC and talk to my clan mate and he says that he was also temp banned.

Anyways I know this is not the first time that this has happened to a clan therefore I do feel that we need to have some kind of standardized matching rules, besides what is here.

My suggestion is right now is to not match/scrim the PB clan for the reasons listed above and because I also believe there was some suspicious game play by one of their members although I can not substantiate this. So like I said just don't match/scrim them. You have been warned about how they behave.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

Kilo, this has happened unbelievably so many times to my clan, that its not even funny anymore. I totally agree with you.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:53:13 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:06:06 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:02:18 PM »
Or a kids makeshift map like MEGA_shock

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:22:35 AM »
Having rules wouldn't stop them from banning you =/

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:14:12 AM »
But if there were a rule saying that you have to play on a match server such as GT, OTB, Ch1ll, Memi or EV1 then this would eliminate the problem of being banned.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:07 AM »
THis is where a centralised stats server come in to play s that when you match, it automagically gets recorded.

But yes, we need a "certified" config for match servers so that this crap won't happen again.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »
 Yep, commitees first assignemt would be working on match settings. As far as i can remember there was some command so that it would load up match settings. Which sucked hardcore.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 07:46:01 AM »
As far as i can remember there was some command so that it would load up match settings.

matchmode? Where it loads the matchmode.cfg.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:09 AM »
But if there were a rule saying that you have to play on a match server such as GT, OTB, Ch1ll, Memi or EV1 then this would eliminate the problem of being banned.

How 'bout not accepting a match if they aren't on one of those servers?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »

Then, as Zorch said, why don't you just refuse the match?

THis is where a centralised stats server come in to play s that when you match, it automagically gets recorded.

But yes, we need a "certified" config for match servers so that this crap won't happen again.

It still wouldn't stop them from banning you. Given that they control the connection to the server, they can also purposely drop your packets, or create lag for you, or just ban your IP for a second to kick you. A "certified" configuration would stop none of that. It's your own choice to take the risk when you play on a server your opponent controls.

If the opponent uses tools outside the game to make you lose, the demos wouldn't record what they actually did. They could frame it to be your fault.

Moral of the story: never use a server that is not owned by an independent 3rd party.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 09:23:21 AM »
Then, as Zorch said, why don't you just refuse the match?

It still wouldn't stop them from banning you. Given that they control the connection to the server, they can also purposely drop your packets, or create lag for you, or just ban your IP for a second to kick you. A "certified" configuration would stop none of that. It's your own choice to take the risk when you play on a server your opponent controls.

If the opponent uses tools outside the game to make you lose, the demos wouldn't record what they actually did. They could frame it to be your fault.

Moral of the story: never use a server that is not owned by an independent 3rd party.

Yup.

We do GT or EV1 only. And since most that we play hate gun temp, it winds up being GT classic only.

The one time early on that we played on someone's server it was a laggy  cable connection from some guy's basement with 200 nades in there. So we just decided it wasn't worth that.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 11:56:18 AM »
Heh, we tried to match a clan a last week, from Canada I believe (can't remember the name =D). Refused to match unless it was on their home server =D Its very simple Kilo, do what i did, say goodbye and thankyou and just leave, no point wasting any time on it!

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
DirtyTaco shush :(

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »
I get where you are coming from lekky and I do the same thing. It's just I believe some kind of rules need to be made and enforced to better the matching scene.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 05:55:23 PM »
Who will make the rules?  A lot of the people who read/post on the forums are bad at DP or they don't play.  Why should they have a vote in official match rules?

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »
Because.

And may that law be final!

PaNCaKeS

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 06:54:55 PM »
Don't play pub clans, that works

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
Who will make the rules?  A lot of the people who read/post on the forums are bad at DP or they don't play.  Why should they have a vote in official match rules?

"The Committee?"

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »
"The Committee?"

A lot of the people who read/post on the forums are bad at DP or they don't play.  Why should they have a vote in official match rules?