Author Topic: Random maps and mods equating to fun.  (Read 3293 times)

loial21

• Autococker
Random maps and mods equating to fun.
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:25:14 AM »
We all have our area of expertise. Put that aside and journey to the land of different facets of .....FPS DP compeition.

1. Anthills (Pong) has now become an undeniable classic no matter the player count.

2. Routes (KOTH) Is another great example of the game flexed.

3. YOY (KOTH) was owned 50-1 against a larger more experinced force.

All demoed 5 times or more with the same results.....less complaints, less boasting....just more fun.

Something to think about..

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Random maps and mods equating to fun.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:52:26 AM »
Gm sir,

I would like to add *GASP* Blitz to the list.

But wait!!!

Not just ANY Blitz, but Blitz with PGP's!

Full map, PGP's, lots of fun.

Happened a few months ago ( thank you sharon)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:55:51 AM »
I really hate how this game has always catered to the pub newbies.  There is more emphasis placed on gimmick modes and settings rather than defining what is needed for a good competitive gametype.  I think this is largely based on the fact that everyone that plays at a high level hates when there are any changes that effect the legacy match settings.  It's easy to see that jitspoe gave up on us whiners a while ago and it's sad to see the feature request thread largely underrepresented by competitive players.

I'm thinking about creating a 'pro-mode' mod that would add some of the essential match play functionality that has always been missing (basic examples could be callvote and ready/not-ready).

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:21:29 AM »
I totally agree with you Bain,

It's more often than not I see a new player (I really dislike the term n00bie or n00b) whine about the 60 second respawn times then leaves the server to go to a speed server.

I also hate the proliferation of maps that require jumps to cap or that jumps make up the majority of the game play.

Call me old ( which I am of course) but those 2 items, plus many others detract from the core value of DP

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »
It's more often than not I see a new player (I really dislike the term n00bie or n00b) whine about the 60 second respawn times then leaves the server to go to a speed server.

I also hate the proliferation of maps that require jumps to cap or that jumps make up the majority of the game play.

Ok, so it isn't just me. Thats one of the things that would keep us from 'competing' with other games.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »
<3 Z-man

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
Free hearts from knack just for agreeing with him? That makes me even more eager to state my opinion! :D

Unfortunately, a lot of the maps that reign over pub (and match) servers are more twitch-based than something like routez is.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »
twitch based?

Could you expand on that sir E?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »
twitch based?

Could you expand on that sir E?

"The who ever gets to the other base and back the fastest wins. GO!"

As apposed to a more strategy based gameplay:

"You go BD while I distract them."

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
loial i was there when we played yoy Koth mode. i gotta say it was a little fun because i was on the winning team, but the other team just sat and got spawned the hole time

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »
Ok, so it isn't just me. Thats one of the things that would keep us from 'competing' with other games.
Definitely.

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
I've yet to play a match in my entire digital paintball lifetime where speed alone has won a match.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »
Bain forgot to mention the locking of player console for his pro-league and the rule of if you dont have anything nice to say....lol

So you hate new public players and different ways to compete. :)

Good clans should spring forth if this was a healthy matching community. But they are not. I akin this to inbreeding. The same people on small island 'raping' each other over and overd. Every once in a great while a new player or new clan does flourish. But usually there is some troll there to call it a newb and eat it. Perhaps it is the community and not the match style that is to blame. I think its a combination of the two.

Anyways enough of the hate....lets talk about random maps and mods equating to fun.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:37:45 PM »
"theice", sliding around in the map is pretty fun itself.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 11:20:17 PM »
dfort = greatness

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 11:51:32 PM »
dfort = greatness

I don't have that one. :(

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:09:19 AM »
dfort (duel forts)

It was fun with the right people.

Only takes one rotten apple to spoil the DP strudel.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 01:37:06 AM »
It was fun with the right people.

Only takes one rotten apple to spoil the DP strudel.

Definitely true. Tonight I was playing with you and a bunch of other well known competitive players and then a "newbie" came in and their gameplay ruined the entire map.

On a side note dforts.bsp is attached.

ATTN: jitspoe: please allow .bsp files to be attached to posts

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 06:01:06 AM »
Bain forgot to mention the locking of player console for his pro-league and the rule of if you dont have anything nice to say....lol

We've been over this before.  I think the game has grown leaps and bounds in this regard in the past few years.  It wasn't very long ago that players could effortlessly fullbright maps and models, make brightskins and play on servers with spiked models, modified paintballs and all white textures.  There used to be very little options available via the setup menu, but jitspoe redid the menu system and added all the little settings so that players can tweak their settings through a GUI.  In most competitive LAN tournaments, the rule is that players can only modify settings found within the GUI configuration.  There are quite a few settings in the GUI which do appear to give players a clear advantage though.  This potential pro-mod could include checking and/or a lock on these settings.  I'd be more concerned with aliases though (double jump scripts, hand scripts, zoom scripts, etc.), but there isn't too much I can do to prevent this (without requiring a client download which is not in the scope of this idea) and I would hate to lose things like my netgraph/drawfps/drawpps toggles.  I guess I could convert all those aliases to "cvar_toggle netgraph" binds instead, though ;)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 06:36:43 AM »
Do what what is logical and fair.

Nothing else.

No one else decides this but the public.

Or are you a conservative republican!!!! (xtremebaitor,you or me?)

I am more concerned about the ethics involved in allow the player's console to be open for... anything...for ...example ....player actions  that  GUI can not represent!.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I think the game has grown leaps and bounds in this regard in the past few years. 
Bain, sir if I may point back to the fact (unless altered) that, you said your self in most legitimate competitions binding out side the GUI was not allowed. If that is so then why legitimatize this rule?

This might just be  a huge loial misunderstanding....i hope so.

*now back to the fun!