Author Topic: Active in the forums but not game?  (Read 4315 times)

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
Active in the forums but not game?
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
I've noticed that while playing with a few people who develop this game, people I would expect to be awesome at it, that they must not spend much time playing... I'll leave out names so you don't have to be embarassed at being killed multiple times by a self-admitted noob. But what's the reason for it? Is it just that you spend so much time developing that you don't practice much, or are you just logging in and playing to test a new feature, and not really paying attention when I get a headshot on you? XD

I was just wondering about that....

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Active in the forums but not game?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 06:52:57 PM »
People like y00tz and zorch play, but as you can see, they spend a lot of their time developing rather then playing. When they do play, it's not that they are just flat out terrible, it's probably because they're rusty or their eyes hurt from staring at GIMP for hours on end.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:00:06 PM »
Yeah, I understand that they aren't COMPLETELY terrible, but still, I would have thought they could blow me out of the water ;)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
My reason:

I have less and less time to be online in general, due to personal issues I am not willing to discuss. However, I love to play even though I am not that good.

Also, I really enjoy making something work, and I really enjoy moding. I hope to one day help Jitspoe develop this game (kinda doubt that will happen though :P). But I think I need to practice finishing projects that I start before anything (I'm getting much better).

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »
I know what you mean about the "finishing projects" thing. I have about 4 or 5 half-made maps sitting there that I haven't worked on in about a month (my monitor has been completely intercoursed up, and I can only see about half of it at a time because of an error message, and it's on the monitor, so I can't click off of it, and playing with the menu buttons makes it worse). Same reason I haven't played either in a long time :( But I hope to get a new monitor pretty soon here.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
Everyone plays less and less on the weekdays because of school. I don't even get to play anymore except for weekends, my schoolwork, then my job, then my homework eat up my whole day. Even now, i'm supposed to be finishing up my college algebra, yet i am lured into this conversation :P or i am a procrastinator

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 07:26:23 PM »
Nah, it's gotta be the conversation. But think of it like this, at least if you are a procrastinator for a few hours you can think about why it is you aren't doing your h/w!

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
* KnacK remembers when the forums were dead and everyone was on irc....

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
We can do both :P

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »
* KnacK remembers when the forums were dead and everyone was on irc....
Probably much more fun..

eradicator

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 09:15:13 PM »
I play alot and I'm active on the forums, and im pretty ok/good at this game.
I play in loial's server, clan Ur server,GT servers, and thats about it.(I hate german servers, I get bad bad lag in them). :P

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 09:41:54 PM »
If you have never been on IRC how can you know you are "ok/good"?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »
Um. How can you judge a player by IRC participation?

This was the only q2 mod that was co-dependent on IRC for its existance.

(Granted it has outlived most mods. But thats not becuase IRC is superior....its becuase most q2 and q2 mod players, grew up. My self not included. Gee thanks Nathan.)

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 05:18:04 AM »
I was not talking about "IRC participation".
I was just stating that if he has never been on IRC hes probably judging himself from pubs..and we all know "good" players dont pub much.

doughz

• Stingray
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Everyone plays less and less on the weekdays because of school. I don't even get to play anymore except for weekends, my schoolwork, then my job, then my homework eat up my whole day. Even now, i'm supposed to be finishing up my college algebra, yet i am lured into this conversation :P or i am a procrastinator

why would you add college in before algevra. You're only 14, and I highy doubt it.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 07:50:16 AM »
I tested out of college algebra. :D

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 09:40:11 AM »
why would you add college in before algevra. You're only 14, and I highy doubt it.

I see you don't know what college algebra is.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »
My college algebra class sucks. It's all online and I am lazy.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
Munchies, I'm 16, a junior in highschool, and 2 years ahead of my class in math. I skipped 8th grade math, then now i am skipping calculus.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 06:44:02 PM »
That's really odd. College algebra is usually basic algebra, and it's below analytic geometry, calculus, and the other branches of algebra (abstract, etc.). At my high school school, those who take college algebra are those who failed the main math track. Even Wikipedia agrees with me, and so does Google. Are you sure it's called that?