Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278023 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #500 on: July 20, 2009, 04:08:32 PM »
Also got rid of the hard landing smack/grunt.
That sound was funny though :(.  Reminds me of playing q2.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #501 on: July 26, 2009, 04:16:10 AM »
I think if you remove the jump-grunt DP2 is officially no longer a Q2 mod.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #502 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:34 PM »
I've been pretty busy with crunch time at work - worked late and on weekends, but we have a small break, now, so I'm trying to get caught up on things (committee has a big list of people for me to ban).  I'm making a few modifications to the admin area of the cheat detection to help me keep track of who has already been banned and who needs to be.  I'm also putting together an uninstall survey to help figure out why so many of the people that download the game aren't playing it (hopefully this will give some helpful feedback).  I just checked the sf.net stats, and it looks like there are ~300 downloads/day.  I laughed when I did the math and realized there are over 9000 downloads per month!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #503 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »
Build 28 pretest is up on the forums.  I'm looking to wipe my linux install and try again so I can make a linux build.  Runnig backups now.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #504 on: August 20, 2009, 01:56:19 AM »
nice.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #505 on: September 04, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
Been busy, so I haven't had a chance to get the Linux version of build 28 out for testing.  Fixed a potential crash in the game server code.  That seemed to be the only major problem.  Since there were complaints about the metal sounds, I recorded some new ones, but I haven't had a chance to edit them yet.  They'll probably go in build 29 if they sound decent.  I'm going to a scenario in Myrtle Beach this weekend, so I might be able to record some better sand sounds as well.

The xmapcom inspired me to work on a 3DS to map converter so I could build some complex rock geometry.  I got it far enough to work on my cave map idea, then promptly gave qbsp an aneurysm when it tried to compile it.  After much simplification, I was disappointed to discover that my < 2000 total triangle mesh had r_speeds of over 4000 with half of the geometry hidden.  This really makes me want to work on a new map format and/or better compilers.  Also, trying to make a map in a mesh editor is a lot more cumbersome than using BSP.  I want to make new tools, too.

*sigh*  If only I had the time for all of that.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #506 on: September 04, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
I think you need a secretary or someone by your side to help you finish all these projects.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #507 on: September 05, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »
*sigh*  If only I had the time for all of that.

I know exactly how you feel.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #508 on: September 05, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
Nice to see xMAPCOM isn't just inspiring people to map. XD

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #509 on: September 28, 2009, 03:29:35 AM »
I think you need a secretary or someone by your side to help you finish all these projects.
oo-err missus!

jdenicholls

• PGP
« Reply #510 on: October 07, 2009, 04:19:07 AM »
He said secretary, not sexretary :P

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #511 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »
Any updates?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #512 on: December 11, 2009, 05:51:13 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven't done much work on Paintball2 lately.  I always tend to get in a rut when things are almost ready for a release and I just have to sit down and do a bunch of tedious things to get it done.  There have been some extra complications with this build as well.  For one, some virus scanners are retarded and will silently delete some file(s) in build 28, causing issues.  There have also been some false positives with new cheat detection code I added.  It seems pretty rare, but I don't want to risk flooding the cheat log.  I haven't had the time and motivation to sit down and figure out what's causing it.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #513 on: December 11, 2009, 06:05:04 PM »
For one, some virus scanners are retarded and will silently delete some file(s) in build 28, causing issues.

Thats fixed. It was the same virus scanner (Avira AntiVir; very popular in germany) all the time, but there is no problem with it anymore.

toxikr3

• PGP
« Reply #514 on: December 11, 2009, 07:59:59 PM »
... I'm also putting together an uninstall survey to help figure out why so many of the people that download the game aren't playing it (hopefully this will give some helpful feedback).  I just checked the sf.net stats, and it looks like there are ~300 downloads/day.  I laughed when I did the math and realized there are over 9000 downloads per month!

I think I can help with that. I was playing this game at lunch at school, some of my friends walked by and said it was a bad game, (mind you, I got some of my other friends to play it too, so we all play at lunch lined in a row ^_^) I asked them why, they said graphics sucks.

I think the main reason people don't play is because of the graphics. People just take one look at images and think its  not worth trying. If there was a way to improve the textures ingame, I think it will significantly improve the number of people.

Shazam

• PGP
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
yeah i agree with toxikra
exatly what happens at my shcool at lunch the graphics would go far  even my freinds who do play it wish the graphics were better
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:53:08 AM by Shazam »

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #516 on: January 08, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »
just an example:

shazam22 (just downloaded dp2 and joined a server (without any hr4))

shazam22 (with hr4)

looks much better,huh ? ^^

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #517 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but no, it doesn't look better.

They're looking at the details of the maps, and most of them are all "blocky", having hard edges everywhere... hr4 can't hide that currently.

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #518 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
yeah, you re right but it would be a first step, if everyone has hr4 textures after he downloaded dp2

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #519 on: January 09, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »
Ur grass texture is very ugly and it doesn't fit to the mixed grass/sand texture. Everything else looks much better with hr4 textures. We already have a lot of very nice hr4 textures (and some not so good ones (metal for example)), but there is one thing, which i don't understand. Everytime someone makes a hr4 texture, he make it for one that already exist. So we have four or five different hr4 barrel textures. Other textures don't have a hr4 version of it, why?