Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278144 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2006, 11:41:08 PM »
My hard drive is starting to make those dreaded "ker-chink" noises.  I backed up the latest code, at least, but I don't have enough space on other drives to back up everything.  It's a very unpleasant sound :(

Anyway, I've been making progress today.  I tweaked up bain's funname menu with the "apply" button.  Added a "clear" button and made the italics, underline, and original/end format buttons work (not sure why the didn't before, but I just made them regular letters for the time being).  That whole system really needs to be redone, but that's a project for a later date.

I fixed the ctrl+key combos at the console that were broken because of the foreign keyboard support (ctrl-k, ctrl-v, ctrl-u, etc...).  Hope the fix works for all keyboards...

The ban system has been revised significantly.  Instead of writing bans to iplist.cfg, it writes them to configs/banlist#####.cfg, where ##### is the port number.  Upon server initialization, the config is executed if it exists.  This prevents multiple servers on the same machine from conflicting with each other, and, well, it actually works.  I also fixed it so "sv addip" and "addip" both work.

There's still lots to do, but I think I'm getting closer to something releaseable.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »
Yeah, there was something in my computer making funny noses. It wasn't the CD drive or fan, so I assumed it was the hard drive. I just kinda tipped my computer back and forth, hitting it from time to time. It worked.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2006, 12:57:58 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:56:27 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2006, 12:31:01 PM »
Thanks, but that's too much data to transfer via FTP (and you probably don't have enough space).  I've already got another drive in the mail.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2006, 05:52:50 PM »
Ever plan to make a global name login / ban system? We have all seen the results of not having one. "He said , She said" Not a very dependable system to depend on.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 06:34:41 PM by loial21 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2006, 06:08:26 PM »
The global ban system has been implemented but not tested.  The global login has not been implemented.  Patience. :)

nXe

• Stingray
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »
ohhhh boy!

* nXe rubs his hands together in excitement...

GBS (my neat little acronym for the infamous global ban system) is going to be sweet.  Hopefully we can tie it into some sort of php feed for PBCup.  It'd be a nice feature to implement.  Where's my partner in crime, bain-o.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2006, 08:02:31 AM »
Since you guys are talking about commands, I want to p1mp THIS thread and try to get everyone to add commands that are missing so I can get a complete listing.  This might also be the basis of the command/config user's guide.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2006, 03:56:09 PM »
I was working on adding proper support in the client for primed grenades and decided to throw in a old feature request while I was at it: a setting to disable automatic firing (you have to press and lift up a button for each shot you want to fire).  I doubt it'll be used, but it was a small change and somewhere, someone might find it fun.

I also threw together a tutorial over at quakesrc for adding more buttons: http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6109

jalisko came up with a great idea to use one of them to indicate chatting, so I could put little icons over people's heads when they're at the console typing something.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2006, 11:18:37 PM »
Made some good headway today.  Got proper client support for primed grenades implemented (and even made it so it uses no extra bandwidth).  Fixed a bug in the camera code that made the "Chasing <person's name>" text get sent multiple times in a single frame.  Also implemented an r_oldmodels setting so you can use the crappy old md2 models if you just can't get used to the new ones.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2006, 12:52:57 PM »
I made some good progress on the external server browser (that's what I do when I have a few spare moments at work).  Most of the basic features are in.  There are a few things driving me nuts, though.  I was trying to add color, like ASE does for full servers, servers that haven't responded in a while, etc., but for the life of me I could not get it to work.  I even copied it straight out of an example and went through their code with a fine-tooth comb and could not figure out what was making it not work in mine.  The only difference I could find was that their code used a dialog whereas mine manually creates the window.

The other thing that's driving me nuts is that, for some reason, in release mode, the column headings are blank.  I thought that maybe it was because of the optimizations I had set, so I set them back -- I even set everything the same as it was in debug mode.  No go.  So I finally just hit the "reset" button, and then it worked.  That was several days ago.  Now it's come back to haunt me again.  This time using "reset" doesn't fix it!  Argh!  I've never had so much trouble with a project before -- so many things that just flat out don't make sense.

The last thing is kind of minor.  I have an accelrator set so that "F5" refreshes the server list.  It works great until you click on the server list, and then it doesn't work anymore.

The other thing I've been busy with is the site move.  While gamespy kept most of the stuff intact, the move broke a few things.  It took me a while to figure out their new system, but I think everything's straightened out now -- at least for the DP site.  I still have a lot to do for my personal site.  I also added a new wiki while I was at it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »
Did some menu work today.  Most of the server options should be easily available from the new game menu.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
It actually snowed today!  Amazingly I woke up early enough to see it.  I was finally able to record some footsteps in snow... more like a thin layer of sludge, but hopefully it'll be good enough.  Probably the best, or rather only, opportunity I'll ever have around here, so I took advantage of it.  I'll try to get the footstep sounds in build 17.

It's a good thing people have been posting demos of various things, otherwise build 16 would be crashing when viewing them.  Oops.  Funny how seemingly completely unrelated things can affect each other.

I've been cranking away on the todo list.  There's not really a lot of interest to mention -- just little bug fixes, tweaks, and optimizations.  I try to make the even builds the stable ones.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2006, 09:08:14 AM »
It's a good thing people have been posting demos of various things, otherwise build 16 would be crashing when viewing them.  Oops.  Funny how seemingly completely unrelated things can affect each other.

I have no clue what that sentence means.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:45 PM »
Something I changed in the game code caused paintball2 to crash when loading demos because it was trying to access a null client structure.  If it weren't for people posting demos on the forums, I probably wouldn't have caught that, and build16 would be unable to view demos without crashing.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2006, 06:09:28 PM »
See, the way you phrased it, it sounded like if the people hadn't been posting demos, then build 16 would have crashed when viewing a demo. Oh well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2006, 05:45:48 AM »
Isn't that exactly what I said?  People not posting demos would mean I would not have tried to play a demo, which would mean I wouldn't have noticed the bug, which would mean build 16 would be released with a bug making it crash when you tried to play demos.

Anyway...

Yay for late-night LAN parties.  Glad I moved all of my development stuff over to the new machine.  I was doing some coding during the "breaks."  There's really only a small handful of things left on the todo list.  I added something to prevent cheap tactics -- you can't grenade suicide if you're the last person alive on your team and the other team has the flag.  A few people have expressed concern about this -- 2 players left alive -- each grabs a flag and runs for the cap.  One caps before the other and gets 5 points for a capture, then immediately kills himself with a grenade, leaving the other person with only 3 points.  That can't happen now. :)  I also plan to add this for siege mode's base boundaries, so the whole team can't just suicide when the other team grabs.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2006, 12:53:26 AM »
In addition to preventing paintgren suicides from preventing caps, I've made it so people can't base-exit suicide in siege mode to prevent caps.

I added a quick setting to disable the centerprinted kill notifications: cl_centerprintkills 0.

I think the serverbrowser is useable now, so I'll probably throw that in with build 16 as well.  Check this thread for more details: http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=1683.0

Added a "g_forcedgamemode" setting, so people can more easily run a server with a single game mode (ie: pong-only server, dm-only server, etc.).  Just set it to "dm" or "pong" or whatever game mode you want.  Leave it blank to use the map rotation game modes / newmap specified game modes.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
So, what happens if the last player on the defending team crosses the line? It just lets them?

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2006, 09:21:54 AM »
So, what happens if the last player on the defending team crosses the line? It just lets them?
He'll be thrown back ;)