Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278044 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #520 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »
Well, build 29 could have gone more smoothly, but at least it's out.  The biggest issue was with the Linux release.  Hopefully I'll be able to release a patch for that soon.

I have a new computer now, so it will be a while before I have everything up and running 100%.  I still don't have Visual studio, etc. installed.  On the plus side, I have Windows 7 now, so I should be able to work on features for that.  I want to at the very least get it to install a shortcut in the games directory.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
is this new computer faster and holds more ram and disk space?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
no - he bought a commodore 64.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #523 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
Ugh, where does time go?  Seems every day has less free time than the last.  I feel like, at this rate, soon, it'll be time to go back to work before I even go home.  I've barely been able to keep up with basic life tasks (taxes, bills, laundry, dishes, etc), let alone all the PM's, emails, and 27 pages of unread forum threads... and actual development work.  Plus I've got like 8 new games to play.

I haven't done much with Paintball2 recently, aside from getting it to compile on my new computer.  I've switched over to Visual Studio Express.  I've heard the old Visual Studio .Net doesn't work with Windows 7, so I didn't bother installing it.  Hopefully this won't require any new libraries or anything for users.  I've also been trying to track down issues with the game not running. From looking at the uninstall surveys, it seems the vast majority of people uninstall because they can't get the game to run.  I know people have been trying to get me to work on the website and promote the game more, but until the game has a positive first impression, I don't think there's a point.  We were already getting like 400 downloads a day last time I checked.  If the game doesn't work the first time around, I don't know if many people will give it a second chance.

I think one of the biggest problems is Windows 7 drivers.  Windows 7 supports DirectX out of the box, but NOT OpenGL.  Since most newer games use DirectX, people just assume there's something wrong with Paintball 2, since they haven't tried playing any other OpenGL games.  It would be nice if I could just detect the video card and forward people to the page to download drivers.  There are still some stability issues, too.  Wish I could get more information on those.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #524 on: April 13, 2010, 12:03:28 AM »
if u want i got a students copy of visual studios pro :]

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #525 on: April 13, 2010, 10:31:27 AM »
... until the game has a positive first impression

I think to show a login/account menu at the gamestart isn't very nice. Maybe a welcome - menu/page where the player can choose a name (+ check, if its not registered) could help more. If i download a new game i want test/play it and don't create an account... This gamestart looks like i need an account to play it :( But you can play without it on ~65% of all servers.

Edit: Maybe a popup message like on passworded servers (after a kick from a 'sv_login 2'-server with the text "U need an account to play on this server. Do u want create one?") could help too. I think, something like that is better as the little text in the console.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #526 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking of making a screen that basically has 2 options: Create account and play without account.  A lot of people don't bother playing because they don't want to mess with creating an account and don't realize it's possible to play without one.

Promaster

• Stingray
« Reply #527 on: April 13, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of making a screen that basically has 2 options: Create account and play without account.  A lot of people don't bother playing because they don't want to mess with creating an account and don't realize it's possible to play without one.

yea i have been asking a lot of people to play this but when you have to login they say they'll just play it later but they never do. pfft

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #528 on: April 19, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »
Now if people don't have OpenGL drivers installed, it should bring them to a help page (related thread: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=20495.0)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
I was hoping to have a new build out this weekend, but that didn't happen, thanks to all the drama.  I made some decent progress on it, though.  I'm trying to address some of the biggest issues/complaints.

- Made a more user friendly screen when people don't have a profile created giving people the option to create a profile or just play (based on uninstall feedback, several people didn't want to create an account just to try the game, even though it is optional on most servers).
- Tried to fix all OpenGL errors and warnings for old versions of OpenGL.
- Added dialog and help page for people trying to run the game without hardware accelerated drivers (seems to happen a lot in Windows 7 because the drivers support DirectX but not OpenGL).
- Made grass footstep sounds louder and tweaked overall attenuation so distant sounds are easier to hear.
- Re-recorded carbine sound from a different angle, and after tweaking the gun a bit to make it sound less "clangy".

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »
- Made a more user friendly screen when people don't have a profile created giving people the option to create a profile or just play (based on uninstall feedback, several people didn't want to create an account just to try the game, even though it is optional on most servers).

Finally. Great job jitspoe :]

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Nice to see a new build :)

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »
Maybe you should filter the servers in the serverbrowser so that servers that require login dont show up unless the player is logged in. That would prevent a bunch of kicks...

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #533 on: May 04, 2010, 12:55:13 AM »
or if a player is not logged in, it will only show them servers that do not require login. and says to view more servers, register.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #534 on: May 04, 2010, 03:22:21 AM »
or if a player is not logged in, it will only show them servers that do not require login. and says to view more servers, register.
I quite like that idea.  But give an option where they can choose to view servers, if they'd like to see how many servers they are missing out on connecting to, etc.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #535 on: May 04, 2010, 04:20:06 AM »
I quite like that idea.  But give an option where they can choose to view servers, if they'd like to see how many servers they are missing out on connecting to, etc.

Better Yet

Baumii

• PGP
« Reply #536 on: May 04, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
Another task for you might be, to look over the registered clans again. There are many clantags registered, although they have 0 Members. It makes it incredibly hard to find a clantag that is still left.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #537 on: May 06, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
I have the Linux version compiled and running.  I've put the server up on EV1 for those who want to test it out.  It has a couple minor tweaks & fixes:

- Chase camera shouldn't clip through walls anymore.
- Death camera will track the killer while you're dead.
- You can't suicide if you're the last player alive.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to put release packages together before the weekend.  We'll see.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #538 on: May 06, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »

- Chase camera shouldn't clip through walls anymore.
- Death camera will track the killer while you're dead.
- You can't suicide if you're the last player alive.

Wow, that's gonna save a lot of pissed people during matches :)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #539 on: May 06, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
I'm not sure if I'll have time to put release packages together before the weekend.  We'll see.

Great :D
Maybe can u upload the files "paintball2" and "gamei386.so"? So the linux servers can be updated, until u make the packages and release them in a few weeks.