Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278170 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2006, 07:39:08 PM »
I actually updated the news with a small status update, though it's nothing really new if you frequent the forums.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2006, 07:43:16 PM »
thank you sir

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
Some more updates:
- All hardcoded settings have been removed from matchmode/publicmode.  Settings change purely based on config files.
- sv_forcesky cvar to disable sky changing on clients (since it's a grey area, we'll let the server admins decide).
- gun temperature resets when you eliminate an enemy.
- guntemp is now a float instead of an int to allow for more fine-tuned tweaking.
- sv_allowednamechanges restricts number of times a player can change names (to reduce potential lag from login server).
- g_commandfile cvar replaces hardcoded commands.txt.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »
sounds good, but a question to xbain.

Will you allow the skies to be changed for matching purposes?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2006, 06:24:19 AM »
You can expect sv_forcesky to be enabled with custom .ents that will change all skies to pbsky3 with a very fast skyrotate.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2006, 06:44:56 AM »
And in return you can expect lawsuits from deceased player's parents because you gave them seizures cause they have epilepsy :p

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2007, 02:53:44 AM »
Obviously, I have the forums back up and running.  I still need to make an official news post about this.  My .plan on the planetsuper forums is here: http://forums.planetsuper.com/index.php?topic=1862.0

I've gotten rsync backing up all the file data from the dplogin server.  It transferred a gig of data pretty quick.  In the future, it will only need to transfer files that have been modified.  Handy little program.  Now I just need to do mysql dumps and throw everything in chron for daily backups.  I'm thinking of dumping the mysql data to the same file every day, then once a week or once a month, write it to a dated file so there's fallback if something's screwy with the daily backup.  Having a different backup each day would probably eat up disk space really quickly.

On top of the backup to my local machine, I also have backup software running to copy data to another drive, so once it's all said and done, I'm not planning on losing any data again.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2007, 05:48:31 AM »
I agree on overwriting the daily sql backups and do once a week or once a month dated backups.  I have a few systems that I do similar to this and havent run in to any issues.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03:57 AM »
I'm making good progress on the file hash checks.  I've got them logging on the central server.  Now I just need to add some verification so people can't spoof it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »
I had some fun with my computer this weekend (sarcasm).  I think there's some underlying hardware issue, but it spontaneously rebooted and messed my windows install up (windows would just reboot before it ever finished rebooting).  I spent most of Sunday getting it back up and running.  I'm glad I got my old windows back up and running because I was not looking forward to reinstalling and reconfiguring the 150 or so applications, tools, games, and whatnot I had on there.  I think I had a registry backup, but it still would have been a pain.  Then yesterday my internet went out on me while I was in the middle of coding.  Came back eventually, but it was annoying.  I'm so lost without an Internet connection. :-\

Despite my computer's best efforts to stop me, I did manage to get some more work done on the file checking system.

Also, I think I have all of my backup scripts complete.  I just need to get a cron job set up for it.  Never done that before, but I don't imagine it can be that hard.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »
I had some fun with my computer this weekend (sarcasm).  I think there's some underlying hardware issue, but it spontaneously rebooted and messed my windows install up (windows would just reboot before it ever finished rebooting).  I spent most of Sunday getting it back up and running.  I'm glad I got my old windows back up and running because I was not looking forward to reinstalling and reconfiguring the 150 or so applications, tools, games, and whatnot I had on there.  I think I had a registry backup, but it still would have been a pain.  Then yesterday my internet went out on me while I was in the middle of coding.  Came back eventually, but it was annoying.  I'm so lost without an Internet connection. :-\

Despite my computer's best efforts to stop me, I did manage to get some more work done on the file checking system.

Also, I think I have all of my backup scripts complete.  I just need to get a cron job set up for it.  Never done that before, but I don't imagine it can be that hard.
Will the hashes to be compaired to be easy to modify?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2007, 03:05:01 AM »
No. :)

Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug (random.c:528:_gcry_set_random_seed_file)
Received signal 6, exiting...

Hmm, I seem to break everything.  gcrypt on linux doesn't appear to like vid_restart.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
Will map and player textures get cross-referenced or will it only be player textures?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »
Ugh, every time I start making progress, I get a wrench thrown in.  Xfire just came out with a new version, which is good,  I suppose, except it's causing OpenGL errors now.  I don't know if there's anything I can do on my end to fix it or if it's up to them.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
I hate Linux.  It always ends up being a miserable experience whenever I try to develop on it.  I have code that works perfectly fine compiled on Windows, but for some reason it's crashing on Linux, and the debugger isn't very helpful, either.  All I'm getting is a bunch of question marks.  I think it has something to do with the multithreading but I'm not certain.  Also, if Paintball2 has the focus when it crashes, I can't do anything.  The game has all the input.  I can't alt-tab.  I can't use the mouse.  I can't switch logins.  Nothing.  Only thing that responds is the power button.

For those who haven't been paying attention, I have build 17 "done" (for Windows), but it isn't going to be a public release.  There were to many issues with using HTTP to connect to the login server.  I'm going to switch over to a UDP approach and create a UDP login server.  This should not only remove compatibility issues (since you have to have UDP to play the game in the first place), but also reduce bandwidth and improve performance.  If ever get the Linux version stable, I can move on to build 18 and start the UDP stuff.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2007, 03:03:35 PM »
By logins to you mean tty's?
For Quake 3 dev I run a screen session through another tty and then ctrl+alt+f# into into when something crashes to see what happened and then kill it and get your X back...my DeFRaG mod seems to put some stress on Q3 and my computer. XD

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2007, 03:21:05 PM »
ctrl-alt-f# doesn't always work.  Sometimes it does, sometimes all input is nonresponsive.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »
More wondrous Linux crashing.  I think it's because of the video driver:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread -1210079008 (LWP 6540)]
0x088230a6 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#1  0xbf9929a0 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#2  0xbf992538 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#3  0xbf992558 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#4  0xb681dbb0 in ?? () from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/i915_dri.so
(gdb) up
#5  0xb68dff1c in ?? () from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/i915_dri.so
(gdb) up
#6  0x089be214 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#7  0x089be214 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#8  0x089b9fac in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#9  0x089b9f7d in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#10 0x089b9f60 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#11 0x00000018 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#12 0x098d8d3c in ?? ()
(gdb) up
#13 0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) up
Initial frame selected; you cannot go up.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2007, 02:48:19 AM »
As you probably know from the build 17 pre-test thread, I have a functional Linux version now.

I've moved on to working on some UDP solutions for the problems people have had with the serverlists and login server.  I have a shell of a server started.  It just listens for UDP packets on the q2master port.  This is really the approach we should have used a long time ago.  I see a lot of potential with this approach.

Here are some potential advantages I'm seeing so far:
- Allows people with HTTP proxies and other weird configurations to use it (obviously, that's the main purpose)
- Automatically detects remapped ports on routers so we won't be seeing all those "My server isn't showing up on the list" posts.  It will hopefully just work.
- Less "lag," and no need to make things multithreaded to avoid it.
- Possible to create a more secure protocol to make it more difficult to muck with the serverlist/login server.

Bad part is that I can't use PHP, so any database stuff will become a lot more difficult, though maybe I could make it communicate with some php scripts.  I'm not sure if that would be better or worse than trying to access the mySQL database directly with C.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2007, 04:52:01 AM »