Author Topic: Slow initiation of a TCP connection  (Read 1257 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Slow initiation of a TCP connection
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »
I'm running Apache and Filezilla FTP server on my computer for development purposes. When I request a page from Apache, the first load is exceptionally slow, but after that, pages load in a flash. The situation changes when I disable keep-alive on Apache. Every page load becomes exceptionally slow.

FTP access exhibits the same behavior. I've tried accessing both servers from a different computer (Windows XP) on the network, and I get the same results.

I'm running Vista with ZoneAlarm free. Windows Firewall is disabled, although the service isn't. The Base Filtering Engine is running. Anyone have an idea?

Also, just another tidbit: I have Apache on my other computer too, and accessing it from this one is slow the first time as well.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Slow initiation of a TCP connection
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »
get rid of zone alarm.

You'll see a noticable improvement

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:34:58 PM »
I don't have this problem on my XP machine though, and that's running ZA. :3

EDIT: You were right. Arrgh! I was considering the problem to be ZA's fault, but I was hesitating to remove it because I would be stuck without a dependable firewall.  ZA has saved me from a few trojans/spywares. This is why I was able to be without anti-virus for several years. I was able to detect everything and remove it myself :3 In addition, I could block those nasty phone-homers.

Now, I need some suggestions for firewalls. Software ones too, so I can do per-application blocks and rules. >_> Anyone have any good experiences with some firewalls? :D

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:46:46 PM »
McAfee has an all in one product and so does trend micro ( I prefer trend micro and am moving our company over to it at the beginning of next year)

DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NORTON WITH LIVE UPDATE

Glad it was a simple fix.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »
I firmly stay away from anything Norton and McAfee. Especially McAfee, which has disabled several of my systems entirely in the past. :3 I'll try Trend Micro. Thanks for the suggestion.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:41 PM »
Hmm, I apologize for the double post, but I wish to bump the topic :D

Does Trend Micro's Internet Suite's firewall actually popup program alerts, and allow me to allow/deny on either a temporary or permanent basis? If not, I need something that will. That's really the only reason I need a firewall, although having the ability to block ports and IPs easily is a plus.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:28:21 AM »
That I don't know as I havent installed the latest version.
But, according to all of the things that it does, it should.

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/trend-micro-internet-security-2007/

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »
Trend Micro's suite is a little big. I'm trying out Outpost (beta) as we speak, and so far, I'm loving it. It's a little more paranoid than I would like it to be, but in time, hopefully I can tweak its settings to my liking (=

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 10:40:50 AM »
Got a url for that?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 01:34:39 AM »
http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/outpost-security-suite-pro-2008-public.html

Although, I moved on and now I'm trying NetLimiter (Pro). I was actually looking for a bandwidth usage monitor, but NetLimiter Pro also has an inbuilt per-process firewall (given the nature of the software). It lacks functionality similar to ZoneAlarm's OSFirewall and Spybot's TeaTimer, but the program is quick to load, and it's very light. That, and it monitors bandwidth usage ;D