Author Topic: Grass Fields - Concept  (Read 3501 times)

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
Grass Fields - Concept
« on: September 22, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »
I have a basic idea for a map. Most of it will be an open field with some tall grass (I saw this used in another map, the name of which I can't remember, but there were sections of grass a little taller than crouching-player height, and you could walk through them, but not see through them).

The only weapons availible will be sniping weapons (slow shooting ones, possibly a carbine or two) and barrels. You'll have to move through the open space without being seen, and find the opponents and snipe them. I got the idea from a movie I saw.

The only things I need help with are more ideas (just one big open field wouldn't be too fun), and how to make the grass you can walk through. Anyone who helps in this thread will be given some credit on the map. :D

Thanks,
Steeb

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Grass Fields - Concept
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »
How about some sort of camo type netting for different areas of cover? Either as a tent/shade structure or as a blind?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 01:36:41 PM »
Grass would probably be best done as models.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 01:40:05 PM »
You should make it look like a Vietnamese village, the tall grass would work well with it. Then make some dirt trails, and some little wooden huts with straw roofing, a well for the villagers water, and you got yourself a playable DM map probably.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »
maybe a few guard towers made out of bamboo like in the old viet cong war movies.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:11:05 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:06:30 AM by P!nk »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »
I like the idea, it reminds me of Battlefield Vietnam and some of the sniper escapades me and Reed used to get up to.

However, I don't think it would work too well in DP, sadly.

There are problems with making the textures Mist, as when you are positioned inside the mist brush crouching (as you said the grass would be taller than crouching height), you'd just see the inside of the texture and be invisble to someone looking at the grass, which wouldn't be very good for gameplay or visually. So if you were to make a transparent grass texture, you'd have to replicate the brush many times right next to each other, so it wouldnt just look like the grass had grown in geometric shapes (the faces of the brush), which would be suicidal r_speeds wise. As for using models, not only would someone have to make the models, to be even vaguely realistic they'd probably be very high poly count models - if used in the numbers i'd expect you'd need to make it work, the epolys for any given scene would be spectacularly high.

So as for the long grass idea, its probably unimplementable in DP, or at least very difficult to. Plus, sniping and such isn't too popular in the DP community at the moment, the emphasis is on speed and fun jumps, etc... which personally I think is a shame.

Thinking about it, maybe something like a cornfield type map might be a little more doable, with careful consideration to a custom model for the cornplants (to be used effectively but sparingly) and clever texturing and tunneling to give the illusion of a deep cornfield with silos and windmills, etc... for your sniper towers. Plus you could stick in some agricultural machinery to satisfy your lawnmower needs :).

Just what struck me anyway,

- Dagless

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
:D It surprised me how many people actually noticed my signature. Yeah, I wasn't planning on making individual grasses, obviously, but I was just going to do the mist thing. The Vietnamese village idea seems pretty cool. I might go somewhere with that eventually, but probably not in this map.

P!nk: Is there a way to put in campfires? I've noticed a couple fire textures in a pack I downloaded, but I don't know if you could animate them or something. If you were giving that idea because you know it would work, can you tell me how to execute it?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »
The fire textures included with the game is animated.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:56:39 AM »
to get animated fire follow this r_script guide on http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/mapmaking/rscripts (look at the bottom of the page).

- Dagless

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:56:29 AM »
What this game needs is a better game engine.

So you could do more with the maps.

The maps are so boring.(Detail Wise)

Graphics Suck

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 08:15:30 AM »
Thinking about it, maybe something like a cornfield type map might be a little more doable, with careful consideration to a custom model for the cornplants (to be used effectively but sparingly) and clever texturing and tunneling to give the illusion of a deep cornfield with silos and windmills, etc... for your sniper towers. Plus you could stick in some agricultural machinery to satisfy your lawnmower needs :).
I thought of doing that once but then I thought of this also...
There are problems with making the textures Mist, as when you are positioned inside the mist brush crouching (as you said the grass would be taller than crouching height), you'd just see the inside of the texture and be invisble to someone looking at the grass, which wouldn't be very good for gameplay or visually. So if you were to make a transparent grass texture, you'd have to replicate the brush many times right next to each other, so it wouldnt just look like the grass had grown in geometric shapes (the faces of the brush), which would be suicidal r_speeds wise. As for using models, not only would someone have to make the models, to be even vaguely realistic they'd probably be very high poly count models - if used in the numbers i'd expect you'd need to make it work, the epolys for any given scene would be spectacularly high.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 10:41:02 AM »
Of course the graphics suck. It's based on Q2. I wouldn't expect anything more from my beloved di-JIT-al Paint2.

Dagless: I forgot to add this earlier. The whole point of the grass would be that you can't see others and they can't see you when you are crouched. It keeps it kinda balanced, that way you can't see someone who can't see you and shoot them, but if you stand up, you can both see eachother.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
ahh right, i get you. Im not sure how this would play out, I think ive seen that map you mentioned before, but I cant remember the name either. If you provided anything but barrels, hoppers, etc... for the PGP it would just be a blind crouching sprayfest though, i would have thought! Could be good, i'd like to see a proof of concept or something to get a feel of how it would flow.

atmays, i hope you aren't including KungFu and Zen in that statement! :D But yeah, the limitations can be a pain but I think there is a sense of acheivement in planning and making maps that are innovative and fun within the limits of the engine, because take it from me - it's incredibly hard, I don't think i've managed it yet.

- Dagless

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »
Hmm... it seems I can't use some of the CTP textures without getting the "GL_Upload" error thing... I guess it's going to be made with the old textures. :(

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
Hmm... it seems I can't use some of the CTP textures without getting the "GL_Upload" error thing... I guess it's going to be made with the old textures. :(

Alrightttt now I'm interested.  Where is the CTP SDK installed to?

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »
C:\bsp\quake2\pball\textures. The path it says in the link in your signature doesn't exist, and when I created it and put it there, it wouldn't show up on the list of texture things to load. So, I put it next to the other textures I could load in the "textures" folder, and I can load them now, it just crashes the game when I try to look at the map with them in it. I can add them and use them in BSP with no problem, it's just compiling the map that doesn't work.

BTW, y00tz, those barrel pics you wanted are coming any week now... I haven't been back to the shop since school started again (if you even remember what I'm talking about ;) )

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 07:13:52 PM »
Alright... In your C:\bsp\quake2\pball\textures, you should have created a folder and named it CTP1, and copied all the .WAL files into the newly created CTP1 folder, yes?

edited for y00tzism

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 11:44:55 AM »
Most of it will be an open field with some tall grass (I saw this used in another map, the name of which I can't remember, but there were sections of grass a little taller than crouching-player height, and you could walk through them, but not see through them).

Im not sure how this would play out, I think ive seen that map you mentioned before, but I cant remember the name either.

depot.bsp ???

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »
yes! thats the one i was thinking of. I just noticed all the weird graphical glitches you get when wandering through the matrix of mist brushes that make up that middle section, i wonder why he didnt just make one large brush?

- Dagless