Author Topic: New Map: Cavern  (Read 10775 times)

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
Re: New Map: Cavern
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »
My 2 cents

Lights look terrible, textures repeat too much (scale the water up some maybe), all in all It doesn't look very good at all. Might be fun to play (ala blitz) but that can't be told from screenshots. This is not a release map, this is a map you scratch and take the best ideas out of for the next map.

FtX

Rept

• PGP
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »
My 2 cents

Lights look terrible, textures repeat too much (scale the water up some maybe), all in all It doesn't look very good at all. Might be fun to play (ala blitz) but that can't be told from screenshots. This is not a release map, this is a map you scratch and take the best ideas out of for the next map.

FtX

A new design is actually being worked up, as I forgot to mention in my last post. I will provide a shot as soon as I can rough something out, for more review and comments.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 05:29:19 AM »
 Very well detailed maps dont usually get played much? Well, name some well detailed small maps what could work for pub newbies. For pub newbies who cant and wont use too much time to learn the maps. Pub maps need to be small and easy to learn for everyone. shazam series, xbmap1 and airtime, etc. Actually, airtime does have a theme and looks good in my eyes. On the other hand, yes, xbmap1 lacks design, well the textures are funny and are not even aligned in some spots. And the map is qbsp compiled not final compiled. Think if those small things were fixed and compiled.

The big, "detailed" maps, as you say, are harder to learn thanks to multiple routes and stuff. Maps like renoir remake and other DT maps do not get any pub play at all. Which is good, newbies would only get confused.

What I was trying to say was that a good mapper can make good matchplay and good detail on the same time. Why would a mapper make a poor looking map? Hoping that its gameplay is better than all the other maps?
Oh, just remembered some good looking pub maps: rally21, eclissi, razzle.

Bah nvm, this post confused myself.

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
Razzle I like, rally21 I don't, maybe it looks better than the original but the gameplay was not improved (and may well be worse). In general I'm sick and tired of clones and sequels. Also all of you need to stop using my rocks from roundup and encounter :P (except dt,, he has permission)

FtX

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Rally21, Eclissi, and Razzle all look GOOD? Going to lower my standards in making maps so I don't have to waste my time.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 03:09:19 PM »
Actually blaa I've seen carpathian a fair bit in the GT pubs.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »
Razzle I like, rally21 I don't, maybe it looks better than the original but the gameplay was not improved (and may well be worse). In general I'm sick and tired of clones and sequels. Also all of you need to stop using my rocks from roundup and encounter :P (except dt,, he has permission)

FtX

Razzle, no theme
Rally, no theme

They are just barriers, buildings, ramps, etc.

I didn't see anything like a cave or a castle or a western theme.

My point is they can look alright without a theme.

And to blaa, what is the theme of airtime?

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 05:14:05 AM »
 Before I go any further I would like to know what is theme?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »
I made a new topic on the subject.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:35:00 PM by m7feettall »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 07:03:11 PM »
Razzle, no theme
I didn't see anything like a cave or a castle or a western theme.
Eh... which version of razzle have YOU been playing?

Most maps do have some semblance of a theme - even if they're just a bunch of bunkers and barrels on a grass field.  If it's pulled off well, it can be a good looking map that simulates a real life paintball field.  There are, of course, those maps made by new mappers which randomly use every texture available with no rhyme or reason - like grass for walls and crates for floors, but those maps are usually quickly dismissed and disappear.  Of course, there are some players who would be perfectly content if all maps looked like that and the players were just big, colored boxes.  The problem is, it turns new people away from the game.  Yeah, this game is probably never going to catch up with the top of the line games, but at least we can work to make it visually equivalent to things like CS and other popular games that gamers have become accustomed to.

There's also a difference between theme and visual quality.  Take this map, Cavern, for example.  It has a theme -- it's all cave oriented, but it isn't executed very well.  The walls are blocky,textures are misaligned, etc.  Compare it to, say, routez.  Routez has a mixture of textures like metal plates, stone tiles, bricks, marble, wood, jail bars, tiles, grass, rock, barrels, crates, fences, water, metal, slime, stone, cement - practically everything available in the paintball2 texture library.  Each area looks different, and there's a mixture of mazes, ramps, stairs, balconies, bridges, ladders, elevators, jumps, etc.  There is very little in the way of a consistent theme, yet it looks better visually than Cavern, or many other themed maps, for that matter.

Of course, themes and visual quality often go hand in hand.  If you make one wall one type of rock (like the grey rock, for example) and another wall in the same area a different type of rock (such as the orange canyon rock), there's a big lack of consistency and things look out of place.  Even if the walls themselves are executed well and look natural independently, putting them together may ruin the visual quality of the map.