Author Topic: Office Space - A map  (Read 3797 times)

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
Office Space - A map
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »
The name is probably taken... If you have a map named Office Space (already released, please don't make one just to tick me off), just tell me and I'll spend more than the 20 seconds it took me to come up with a new one.

The idea is, obviously, an office, and it is a seige map.  I used some of the CTP textures, so you'll have to have those to play it. Teams are red and blue.

There is a floor with cubicle type offices, a lobby, some elevators, etc. Screenshots are attached. The first is the lobby, the second is the cubicle floor, I have one in there of the Flag room (it just looks like a desk because I haven't put the flag in yet), and an elevator shaft.

The attacking team starts in the lobby, while the defending team starts in A) a conference room, and B) a somewhat hidden arsenal room. You have to go through some vents to get the flag and then go to the lobby to cap.

I hope you enjoy my screenshots for my first seige map. I will have a beta released in a day or two.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
Re: Office Space - A map
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »
offices have windows
and most places have ceilings that are different than the walls
scale the tile down on the first scrnshot
everything looks to white

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:42:50 PM »
It looks kinda tiny.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »
did u scale down the textures, that would make things look tiny

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »
Looks like King Arthur's offices, try to make it look more realistic and not so medieval. 

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:30:02 PM »
I love office/city/etc. maps :D

But anyway, the ceilings in all of your screen shots are really low. It feels really cramped.

The overhead florescent lights in the second screen shot need to be split up. Having them repeat isn't working out so well. You might, actually, want to have the lights in the ceiling, and have a see-through panel. If only Paintball had reflective surfaces (lag!) though, then it could be a little more realistic.

And, most important, you dearly need some better textures.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »
kind of reminds me of mp_raven for Soldier of Fortune... sweet Jehovah I loved that map.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:20:04 AM »
Map at the moment looks terrible and needs to be re-textured and have a total new design.

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »
Just because a file is a 'map' and has .map at the end doesn't mean it should be distributed or even shown to anyone, throwaway maps like this are part of a mappers life. You make them and learn and then apply what you've learned to the maps you WILL release and show off.

FtX

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »
For one thing, I didn't release it. I didn't distribute it. Think about it: If I didn't show it to you, how would I know not to release it? Anyway, even if I release an awesome map, no one will play it, so I'm basically making this for friends.

About the textures, can anyone suggest a texture, instead of just telling me they suck?

About the ceiling height, you find me an office that has 20 foot high ceilings and I'll change it. As it is, you can still jump with ALOT of room left over your head. It's not like you have to crouch to walk through the thing, far from it.

About the "medieval" factor, uh... what? I need specific problems, not "screenshots of Map X make me feel Y."

I posted the screenies for help and suggestions, not "this map sucks, delete it." That doesn't help at all. And it won't help with future maps.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:32 PM »
maybe make borders on the bottom and top of the walls for detail. the textures look like they need to be scaled down. some screen shots it looks dark, which windows would help make it look better, and some rooms look very bright, you should use less white textures in these rooms. you have to exaggerate the height of the ceiling in this game because otherwise it looks to low, it may be the right size but it looks low.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 07:04:49 AM »
For one thing, I didn't release it. I didn't distribute it. Think about it: If I didn't show it to you, how would I know not to release it? Anyway, even if I release an awesome map, no one will play it, so I'm basically making this for friends.

About the textures, can anyone suggest a texture, instead of just telling me they suck?

About the ceiling height, you find me an office that has 20 foot high ceilings and I'll change it. As it is, you can still jump with ALOT of room left over your head. It's not like you have to crouch to walk through the thing, far from it.

About the "medieval" factor, uh... what? I need specific problems, not "screenshots of Map X make me feel Y."

I posted the screenies for help and suggestions, not "this map sucks, delete it." That doesn't help at all. And it won't help with future maps.

Think they were worried you were like some other people who post their first maps and think its a masterpiece, hopefully you'll get some better feedback now :p

It looks like its more suited to being as DM map to me.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 08:35:10 AM »
I was thinking of just making it DM, so now that someone else thinks I should, I suppose I will, maybe.

Thanks.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
You might want to make those walls wood instead of rock and metal.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »
The walls are only metal in the vent section.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »

And you find me ceilings that are only 6.5 feet high. Your screenshots (and it's your fault if you provide ones that falsify how the map looks) look like the ceilings are very low. Geeze. Learn to take some criticism for once in your life.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »
I'm just saying that I'm not going to make it unrealistic. Learn to give good criticism. And you haven't known me my whole life, so don't assume I can't take criticism, please.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 07:31:31 PM »
From the ss's...

1. The lights are too big and ugly
2. texture choices are bad, use more ctp1 house-like textures
3. Rotate the wood so the grain goes lengthwise on all your tables and stuff
4. Align the lights
5. Barrel textures for cubicle walls, echhh maybe use a ctp1 wall texture

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »
I'm just saying that I'm not going to make it unrealistic. Learn to give good criticism.

I only mention it because it looks to be unrealistic now. What, you think I want to give stupid comments so that I waste both your and my time? It is you that needs to learn to take the criticism. My criticism was constructive, and it wasn't hostile. Your reply to everyone else's comments, on the other hand, was angry and belligerent.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
Spook: Thanks for the advice... uh, using ctp textures isn't going to work I don't think. I've looked through them, and I can't find any that look right. All of the colors are weird (purple in some brick texture, etc.) and such. Also, the normal textures all suck for making maps that look realistic. :\ I dont know what to do.

Sk89q: I'm just saying, my ceilings aren't 6.5 feet tall. Like I said earlier, there's more than enough space to jump without getting anywhere near touching the ceiling. I'm sorry if my sshot didn't make that apparent. Thanks, though.