Author Topic: New Engine?  (Read 3073 times)

KiLo

• Autococker
New Engine?
« on: September 30, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »
I know I have heard people talk about this and wondered how hard it would be to transfer what we have now to a new engine such as the Q3 or Q4 engine if we are able to use those.

Just a thought for the future.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: New Engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 07:30:38 AM »
We wouldn't be able to use the Quake4 engine for a few years yet, if ever, and the amount of work to be put into porting the game perfectly would be phenomenal. However, If jitspoe added Q3 Media Formats support, then a large amount of detail improvement could be acheieved without too much hassle. y00tz and I also have a little something planned.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:32:04 AM »
Vic what do you have planned?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
Well maybe, judging by the fact I didn't tell everyone what it is, it isn't ready yet? :P

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:30:45 AM »
I'll find out sooner or later.........   somehow...... :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:29:21 PM »
I would imagine it would take a good 2 years, at least, at the current rate of development.  It would also change the networking code and thus the dynamics of movement and jumping, which would upset a lot of people.  There's not much to be gained from using quake3, and using something like quake4 would require going back to being a mod and severely reduce the player base, both by requiring a copy of quake4 and having higher system requirements.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
On the quake4 engine.. right now a license costs over $200,000, and it wont be opensourced for probably 7 years at LEAST since games are still being made with it..

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:53:49 AM »
We wouldn't be able to use the Quake4 engine for a few years yet, if ever, and the amount of work to be put into porting the game perfectly would be phenomenal. However, If jitspoe added Q3 Media Formats support, then a large amount of detail improvement could be acheieved without too much hassle. y00tz and I also have a little something planned.

A cunning plan?

Well I´m actually quite fond of current engine. Pure old school. And why to sacrifice frame rate in order to get nicer textures, models, etc.

But heh, if Vic and Yootz have something really good going on, why not, I´m open to anything.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 06:03:40 AM »
A cunning plan?

Well I´m actually quite fond of current engine. Pure old school. And why to sacrifice frame rate in order to get nicer textures, models, etc.

But heh, if Vic and Yootz have something really good going on, why not, I´m open to anything.

What ViciouZ and I have planned really doesn't affect that the Paintball2 player base :D, but I agree with you 100%, I love all the pros of our current engine, I just wish we had md3 support and better map format.  Jitspoe has done something great with the Quake 2 engine.  I think BioShock is one of the only games that I like the water better than Paintball2, our player model is pretty good, the new one, and Jitspoe'S mod for high resolution (4x) textures allows us to make very high res textures.  When I finish the Foliage Pack add-on for the CTP and CMP, I hope to show how pretty are engine can be without taking a huge framerate hit.

If people are unsatisfied with the current lack of HR4 for current textures, I believe Jitspoe has given me a green light on attempting to re-create HR4's for some of the old textures, so if people want better textures, submit photos.

* Edited for grammar, spelling, and y00tzisms.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:58:55 PM by y00tz »

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
It's been so long since I've seen that water I can't wait till I finally finish my gamin comp.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:19:48 AM »
I just wish we had md3 support and better map format.
Why would you want md3 support?  Skm is superior in every way.  The new map format I agree on, though.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:26:07 AM »
Hopefully the new map format isn't like Halo where one map can be like 300 MB.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 05:47:11 AM »
Why would you want md3 support?  Skm is superior in every way. 

I use SKM and like it, however I've seen very few other models produced by community members, and I contribute that mostly to the confusing format.  Are we allowed to developed the build tools for SKM?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 12:38:36 AM »
I use SKM and like it, however I've seen very few other models produced by community members, and I contribute that mostly to the confusing format.  Are we allowed to developed the build tools for SKM?
Very few community models are produced regardless of the format.  I'm not sure what you're asking, but I think the SKM compile tools are open sourced and can be modified.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 05:47:43 AM »
Are we allowed to developed the build tools for SKM?

y00tzism, good catch.  ~3 hours sleep [edit* a day] this whole week, sorry.

I was asking if we could distribute the tools for SKM conversion.  If that's the case I'll write or find a distributable SMD exporter for Blender, and package it [edit* with] the tools and guides for making SKMs
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:22:32 PM by y00tz »

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 02:09:23 PM »
Stop posting, go to bed... :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »
y00tzism, good catch.  ~3 hours sleep [edit* a day] this whole week, sorry.

I was asking if we could distribute the tools for SKM conversion.  If that's the case I'll write or find a distributable SMD exporter for Blender, and package it [edit* with] the tools and guides for making SKMs
I don't see why not.  It should be either public domain or GPL.