Author Topic: New Map - Ranger by FourthX  (Read 13838 times)

Chevy

• PGP
Re: New Map - Ranger by FourthX
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 04:24:56 AM »
Looks nice, can't wait till it's done

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 07:17:08 AM »
Yeah knowing when to detail and how to fix leaks is extremely important. I don't think I fully understood it until crimethink (seeing as just about every brush in idolatry was detailed).

Yeah before we detailed it vis would not even work, it came out to something like 11k portals.

FtX

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 07:25:50 AM »
Very nice :). I thought you had vanished... nice job man

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, here's the bsp http://www.mediafire.com/?ahvt1sjtrnt

FtX

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, here's the bsp http://www.mediafire.com/?ahvt1sjtrnt

FtX

The map looks awesome. But I'm curious. Why are those mounds of dirt entities?

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »
all 3 dirt mounds and all 4 boulders were grouped into func_walls because they are too big to fit within 1 vis chunk of the map and caused excessive poly break up. I had a goal of keeping it under 1000 r_speeds in the center and this was necessary to meet that goal.

FtX

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »
eek, grass trees :(

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 11:30:35 AM »
Hey fourth,

a few things that occurred to me when I had a wander round Ranger...

- floating crates! I imagine probably a 1-unit r_speeds curtailing measure, but it's a little obvious in my opinion.
- the rocks at the bases seem top heavy, like if it was the real world the rock would be tipping over to roll down the hill.
- I know the bases are meant to be asymetrical, but it seems a little unbalanced for blue to have a camp spot/hiding spot just behind their flag, and red to have theirs totally open.
- the use of the 2 rock/cliff textures throughout seems weird to me. I hate to sound like a texture fascist, but it's a bit jarring as the 2 textures are so different it doesn't seem consistent that they'd be right next to each other.
- In my opinion, using texture ladder flags on jumps is a bit of a cop out - it makes it too easy. ie, if even I can do it every time, its too easy ;)
- The shadows are a bit weird, like they are choppy and random in places. I doubt you'll be able to do anything about that though.

Otherwise I quite like it. It'll take me a little practice to get faster lines, but on the whole I think it's good fun. I only wish I could make a map vis this good.

- Dagless M.D

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
wow nice^^

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 01:42:10 PM »
Wow, maps looks great.
I cant wait till its finished and on the servers.

Good job FourthX.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
Some problems i have found, i am not sure if they are suppose to be like this.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 08:41:33 PM »
Are you using ArghRad for lighting? There's some really odd lighting stuff in some places.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
Not more lollipop trees!  Why, FourthX?  WHY?! *sniff*  Woodgrain textures, too!  At least use bark!

Ok, I had to get that out.

I'll give it a more thorough run through in a bit, but a few things I noticed:
- Lots of wood textures need to be rotated, like the top edges of bunkers will be good, but the sides need to be rotated 90 degrees.
- Rock textures look really inconsistent.
- The moat around the base is really annoying if you accidentally fall in - maybe add some ladders or something to make it easier to get out.
- One of the dirt brushes overlapped and stuck out of the side of a hill.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 12:58:48 AM »
Just a thought but the ladders around the mid should be changed to actual ladders instead of just being there looking like wood planks.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 03:37:55 AM »
this is a ok map i guess. less then what i really would expect from such a talented mapper. as jitspoe said lollypop tree? wheres the custom textures??? why are people still making such plain maps?

this map looks like it will be fun to play but im still a lil disapointed ;_; *sniffles*

4thx you are still one of my fav mappers dispite what i think, you have a very good way of visioning maps.

i guess im the only one bent on the texturing of maps and not wanting to use the same textures on the other 2000+ maps for dp :P

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:19 AM »
Arghrad and I don't get along, it does not handle this type of terrain well at all, if I have time it will have some soft point lights to smooth out the rough areas.

Termi> 1st thing is a mistake (thanks) second thing is intentional, I wanted the rocks to look like they were dug around.

FtX

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »
 Well just infront of the flag there is this little pool. When you are underwater and look the walls, then there are 2 textures for walls, which looks wrong to be honest. Took a sshot too:
http://scythe.planet.ee/sshot111.jpg

It looks even more wrong on the other base.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 09:35:08 AM »
It doesn't look like your current RAD compiler works that well with that sort of terrain, either. >_>

If by 'does not handles this type of terrain well' you mean it's slow, then you can outsource the compiling (at least the RAD stage) to someone else who's computer will be able to do it more quickly.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »
Asthetics aside I am awwed. As large opened (which I perefer) and as much water as there is my frame rate never dropped in fact in some places it raised as i got closer to the water. As far a from a tatical standpoint, map makers you need to consider all level of players. I see this being learned quickly as in it is fun and can accomidate a good croud with out loosing any rates.

All hail 4thx. Thanks bud!!!

More to come....as I review it.