Author Topic: DP League  (Read 13009 times)

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
DP League
« on: January 12, 2003, 01:52:49 PM »
First of all, I say DP cuz thats what the community that plays PB2 is called.  So this is a community thing =)

If anyone is planning on making a league, you better let me in on this.  And everyone that should be in on it, for that matter too.  For instance, we dont need two leagues, so if two seperate leagues were to be planned, lets combine efforts into one good league.  

Also, and no offense to whomever this might apply to, but there are certain people who just dont belong in a position to do this and by the same reasoning there are some people who just have to be a part of it.  For instance, the people who should be a part of creating and running the league should be people who will actually contribute, are generally respected, are mature and not lame, are unbiased and fair, ideally have been a part of the community for a long time and are very knowledgeable with the game, etc.  You know what I mean.  So just cuz you "want" a league doesnt mean you should create a half-assed sucky league that falls apart after a couple weeks.  Lets make sure we do this thing right people.  For the good of DP.

I feel I would be a huge asset towards creating a rules foundation.  I live for the matches and competition, so I need to make sure you guys do it right.  And I know quite a bit of you arent the sports type and are too geeky (just kidding, kinda  ;D) to know how to make it work.  Then we should have a committee of fair and unbiased, experienced individuals who can be judges on any rules disputes.  Me and Zimbu would be perfect for this, tho we would need at least a 3rd to accomplish anything.  Someone like Xbain should be involved cuz of his servers and cool statistics on the Er33t website.  Cal and Jits obviously should be involved somehow.  You know what I mean now about certain people being involved.  So Im making a call to all these people who should help make this a success to unite and MAKE it happen.

Now we shouldnt start this for another couple months at least.  Let PB2v2.0 get bug fixed and updated and stuff.  Then we can start really talking.   BUt in the meantime we could get a website up and decide on how the league would be run and make some rules and get it all set up.  LIke for instance only certain maps should be allowed, so we need people, like myself, who are unbiased and open minded, and most of all, experienced in clan matching, to go through the maps and find those that excel for matches (which i feel should be 4v4 - that seams to be natural).  Anyway, all that can and should be discussed by the committee at a later time.

oddjob

• VM-68
Re: DP League
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 03:20:48 PM »
Good thoughts, I would be willing to help :)

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 04:18:29 PM »
Ok, I'm going to start working on something. More on this as developments occur.

Flare-y2j-dup

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 07:17:57 PM »
Oh and RoyalBlood, I mean, you are the most unbiased person in the community of course, right? I mean you single handedly saved DP, you know all about this community. Now Zimbu isnt exactly the most unbiased person either, but there's absolutely no one in this community that isnt biased towards someone/someclan/something. You for one suck up to people who run servers ( XB ) and people who have ops in #paintball . And then you hate on everyone that owns you, so basicly everyone else in the community. you'd be one of the worst possible choices for a committe in a league.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 07:41:46 PM »
LOL thats the most ignorant thing ive heard in a LONG time.  I definately dont suck up to anyone.  Of course everyone is biased in some way, dont be a smart ass.  What I mean is that they make an attempt to be unbiased, which I absolutely gaurentee I can and always have done.  I dont say or think that I saved DP or anything, however I do feel that I am very knowledgeable about the community and the game.  So thusly I feel that I and very qualified for this and I feel that a lot of other people feel the same way, excluding ignorant llamas like yourself.  Who the hell are you anyway, that you are so jealous of me to be hating on me for absolutely no reason?

And to OJ and Fryth, your help would be greatly appreciated.  Knew I could count on you, didnt even have to ask.

Flare-y2j-dup

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 08:00:55 PM »
You haven't even been playing in the community for quite some time. You have no idea what it has evolved into. And if you don't think you suck up to anyone.. you need to take a look at yourself.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2003, 08:35:06 PM »
Flare... there is no place for flaming on these forums. If I see another post like these, I'll delete it.

Edit: Flare = Y2J. His IP, e-mail and user have all been banned.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2003, 11:03:26 PM by admin »

Flare-y2j-dup

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 08:39:22 PM »
well well.. fryth.. one of the #paintball ops, the group rb sucks up to. Of course you'd say something like that. Now if you'd read what I said you'd take into consideration it is the truth, and I have not flamed one bit. As for you, I hope you hit your bong acouple more times to prove just how cool you are man.

P.S. I really dont see how you guys can be leading a league, if you cant take criticism on it to fix some issues. I mean, lets just ban me from the league because I disagree with one rule you make, screw asking how everyone feels. Thats just the impression you're giving by banning me cause i'm telling the truth about on your "friends".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2003, 08:43:31 PM by Flare »

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 10:14:59 PM »
Royal, Some good ideas, we just have to see that they are used appropriatly.  I'm willing to help, if needed, idk what for.  There is talk among some local players about a clan being started, time will tell for us.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 11:23:27 AM »
Might as well ban his class A if you intend on restricting him.

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 11:31:05 AM »
I think a league would be great.  Of course, it'd be worthless to start it anytime soon.  It needs to wait until 2.0 is officially release and is used by everyone and it starts to [hopefully] gain more players.

The one thing I mainly disagreed with(and always have), is how you hold yourself at such a high level, RB.  You barely even play anymore.  You don't know all the maps, and especially don't have any better of a view about which maps are good for matches and which aren't.  

If I'm in a clan and matching a team, I don't want some people telling me 'well, no, you can't play that map because we don't like it for matches.'  I mean, sure.. there should be a universal ban on Crates, but other than that, I really hate this idea.

And don't ban y2j, fryth.  Geez. Get over him - he's one of the most active players in the community and he doesn't cheat like everyone likes to think.  Sure, he may have exploited er.. exploits that went unfixed in the mod a long time ago, but that's because they went unfixed.  If they would have been fixed when they were brought up, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Plus, he's pregnant with my little girl.  excretory openings.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 01:54:53 PM »
I banned Y2J because he managed to do nothing but criticize people in his post, and offered no valuable input whatsoever. It's a "flame" in my book, because it illicits nothing but a derogatory response in return. Which it did, and after Royal's reply, Y2J then continued his personal attack in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, there's no place for that in these forums, and I will delete any accounts he creates. Any further posts in this thread about Y2J or bans will be deleted.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 02:11:22 PM »
The one thing I mainly disagreed with(and always have), is how you hold yourself at such a high level, RB.  You barely even play anymore.  You don't know all the maps, and especially don't have any better of a view about which maps are good for matches and which aren't.  

Hence why I never stated that I am doing or even capable of doing this by myself.  I specifically said we need a lot of good people to help.  What I'm talking about bringing to the table is completely irrelevant to me not having played much over the past two years.  And as you said, and I said initially... this wont happen for a while.  I am playing now and will have been playing and know whats going on by that time.

If I'm in a clan and matching a team, I don't want some people telling me 'well, no, you can't play that map because we don't like it for matches.'  I mean, sure.. there should be a universal ban on Crates, but other than that, I really hate this idea.

Well thats not whats happening.  Its a league, so OBVIOUSLY you have to abide by the rules of the league.  Outside of the league you can play whatever maps you want to.  But the whole purpose of even having a league is to have a common ground where every match is of equal value and fairness.  Its to have one place where a clan can legitamately say they are better than another clan cuz their league record is better.  None of this one clan wins a bunch of 2v2s and another only goes 50% on 4v4s on tougher maps arguements of neverending doom.

Your opinions are apperciated tho, keep em coming.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2003, 02:12:08 PM by RoyalBlood »

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2003, 02:19:49 PM »
I don't see what knowledge of the community has to do with starting a league. If anything, impartiality is a beneficial trait. In fact, I can't come up with a single example of how current trends would change the league rules, except for maps - but any kind of limitations on the maps have been shown in previous league attempts to be unacceptable.

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2003, 08:12:31 PM »
You definately need map limitations.  Cuz some maps just dont work good for certain types of matches.  And as a league the whole purpose is for teams to compete against other teams.  Which means the maps need to be teamwork oriented maps.  Maps like Crates, Arctic, Sandtrap, etc shouldnt be allowed cuz they are dont actually require any teamplay.  All it is, is every man for himself really.  The only team strategy is to not get in the way of your other team mates.  Maybe one person is a rusher, and one is a defensive player.  But there isnt actually any teamwork going on.  So whats the point of that?  You could do that any night of the week on one of the public servers.  This is a league, it should be different than the normal games.  I understand that a lot of people wouldnt like not being able to play such popular maps like the ones i mentioned.  You know, thats too bad.  They dont have to join.  And it wouldnt hurt them to be more open-minded and try it.  You never know, they might find out that its actually more fun =)

And as for being familiar with the current community...  Well first of all I have been chatting on IRC regularly during this time I havent been playing, so its not like im clueless.  And I agree with Fryth, it has no relevence to knowing what makes a good match and league.  If anything, we should go away from whatever is the current trend.  Cuz over the years matches have gotten pathetic.  In the beta days it was normal to play 4v4 matches on maps bigger than Sandtrap.  Slowly both the size of the maps being used and the players on each team have gone down.  And I think anyone who has played a few 4v4's in the beta days can back me up when i say that those were better.  Matches meant more, there was more competition, and you actually had to use some teamplay and strategy, which all equaled up to a more enjoyable and rewarding experience.  So lets try to make that the standard again.

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2003, 09:49:14 PM »
<=--  not gonna be in league if sandtrap and arctic aren't allowed.

You may as well turn off paintballs and not allow teams to refill their co2, either.  Nazi.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2003, 03:51:20 AM »
You could, perhaps have a list of "authorized maps" for league matching. However, only extremely one-sided/bug-ridden maps should not be allowed. That's just a tiny aspect of what you're trying to do. It is indeed quite a task to run an organized league with the current community. XtremeBain and I had coded quite a lot of dynamic content for a league we were planning a while back. Beside the obvious hours that need to be put in to create an organized system, one has to take in effect that the average DP Player in our community is.. 14-18. That's an extremely influential factor. For example, in the eR33t.com sponsored 1vs1 and 2vs2 tournaments, we had a maximum of maybe.. 50% of the people who signed up actually show up. You can't expect a great amount of dedidication/commitment for the majority of the clans/players today. Perhaps the 2.0 release will bring many new faces into the community - strenthing this lack of commitment. Perhaps not.. we'll just have to wait and see..

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2003, 06:22:09 AM »
<=--  not gonna be in league if sandtrap and arctic aren't allowed.

Who in their right mind would start a league and restrict the most popular maps in DP?

Of course people should be able to pick whatever map they want. In the past, each team picked a map, but due to the overwhelming number of maps, it may be reasonable to require teams to agree on their choices.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 06:24:08 AM by admin »

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2003, 12:09:14 PM »

Who in their right mind would start a league and restrict the most popular maps in DP?

Maps like Crates, Arctic, Sandtrap, etc shouldnt be allowed cuz they are dont actually require any teamplay.

Not saying he's in his right mind, but your buddy RB said it right there and he's the one throwing up the ideas.  That's why I said strap and arctic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 12:09:49 PM by Michael_Fornal »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2003, 12:31:20 PM »
I agree with RB on that one.  Those maps have very little teamplay and stratigy.  I never enjoyed matching on those maps as much as, say, midnight2.

Perhaps it could be run with like an official map list, and other maps could be played, but only if both teams agree to it (but if one team does not with to play a crappy, small map, the other team must select another that they both agree on, or one from the official list).