Author Topic: Build 33  (Read 32060 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Build 33
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Engine:
build 33 (2011-11-13):
- Tweak: Better movement control on slopes (hold the jump key to bounce and slide on slopes like you used to).
- Tweak: Made landing sound quieter for short falls. 11:57 PM 3/28/2011
- Tweak: Allowed non-integer sizes for cl_hudscale (example: 2.5 instead of 2 or 3). 12:48 AM 3/29/2011
- Tweak: Removed some (likely) obsolete code that could potentially zero out player velocity. 11:36 PM 4/12/2011
- Tweak: Made cl_drawtexinfo 1 only hit solid objects.  Use cl_drawtexinfo to test clip, etc.  8:40 PM 5/5/2011
- Tweak: Improved stair smoothing.
- Bugfix/Tweak: Fixed not stepping/abrupt stops when jumping up stairs/onto objects. 
- Bugfix: Fixed not stepping in places with a low ceiling. 11:37 PM 4/12/2011
- Bugfix: Fixed application icon (in Windows). 10:36 PM 4/27/2011
- Bugfix: Fixed corrupt screenshots at 1366x768 resolution. 8:57 PM 7/20/2011
- Bugfix: Fixed bouncy/jittery screen when on elevators.
- Bugfix: Fixed multithreading crash on Linux config.
- Cvar: oldmovephysics - Disable new movement physics tweaks.
- Feature: Added minimize, maximize and resize capability in Windows. 1:54 AM 4/28/2011

Game DLL:
*** 1.922 build 178 ***
- Tweak to better support new physics (don't take falling damage if we're not falling).
- Added "teamnumber" support to trigger_multiple so triggers can be team-specific. 8:58 PM 6/13/2011
- Made .ent files load from the maps/ent directory (will fall back to maps directory if no ent is found). 11:55 PM 8/2/2011
- Disabled team switching after a match is over. 10:16 PM 8/3/2011
- Made "noname" and "newbie" names have random numbers after them even if the names have formatting. 11:02 PM 8/27/2011
- Fixed bug in siege where kills were counted toward the score after the round ended.
- Fixed bug where auto team switch would not work if a client was flooding team changes.

Windows:
Full install:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build033_full_pretest1.exe
Update:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build033_update_pretest1.exe

Linux:
Update:
http://digitalpaint.org/files/temp/paintball2_build033_linux_patch_pretest1.tar.gz

Specific details on the movement physics tweaks can be discussed here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=23745.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:08:44 PM by jitspoe »

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: Build 33
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:22:41 AM »
ok so i made this post to originaly say that in superman's pub on shaz33 it was acting funny while strafing up the main ramp to bridge. what it was doing was becoming choppy and it seemd as if i lagged all over the place. however it didnt do this while just walking. So i made a private server and tried it there the same ramp and nothing happened. i decided to make a demo of it in superman's pubi and i watched it and it seems that its just the server because there was nothing noticeable after watching the demo.. and now i cant remove this post so i am explaining it.

cheers

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
than again i just tried it in another server and the same results happened. and when i say the game lags/glitches while speeding/strafing up the ramp in shaz_33 i mean you float off the floor 5 feet and then glitch all around. weird that it doesn't happen in a "create your own match"/ Demos wont show it either. and this wasn't happening until i obtained b33

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:43:17 AM »
sorry for the triple post but i feel like these are three separate thoughts so it should be this way....

but "- Tweak: Better movement control on slopes (hold the jump key to bounce and slide on slopes like you used to)."

would this mean for a DJ script it would cause it to jump a lot thus the "twitching" that i have been seeing going up the ramp? would that effect the strafe jump at all? if so i vote get rid of that :P

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »
Actually i have to admit that i found that skigliding pretty funny but anyway i took 2 demos on how it can destroy gameplay.

gameplay_test1 - maybe ok its pretty cool jump but i think that going through BD shouldnt be that fast, at least its not how the map was designed
gameplay_test2 - fastest capping ever

jump_bug1 - few ice to ramp bugs (idk how to describe better just watch demos when you hit ramp from ice it does something weird)
jump_bug2 - well i guess it shouldnt be that easy without new physics, but i think it shouldnt be that easy even with this new physic should it?

The main problem i see at the moment is that ice-to-ramp bug, because you lose all the speed gained on ice. Also think about that gameplay issues i pointed out in demos.

Edit:Also i remembered 1 thing thats pretty annoying. Idk if its only me, but everytime i start the game it freezes until it gets"IP:PORT vninitresponse" and sometimes it takes really long to get.

Edit2:Added another demo ramp_bug - its a little research when the bug occurs, it happens only if you dont press the jump key right before the ramp. Is it possible to fix it somehow? Sometimes it might be a problem, because if you go really fast on ice it could be hard to time the jump key right.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:26:43 AM by prozajik »

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:59:08 AM »
Cool - I'll test the Linux version when its out - hopefully the crashing issue will be fixed for me ...

Can't wait to have a version that will let me in to servers all the time (0.30 I had the 'not latest' issue) .

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »
ok so i made this post to originaly say that in superman's pub on shaz33 it was acting funny while strafing up the main ramp to bridge. what it was doing was becoming choppy and it seemd as if i lagged all over the place. however it didnt do this while just walking. So i made a private server and tried it there the same ramp and nothing happened. i decided to make a demo of it in superman's pubi and i watched it and it seems that its just the server because there was nothing noticeable after watching the demo.. and now i cant remove this post so i am explaining it.

cheers

If the servers you were playing on used build 33, then it would work as it should with no stuttering etc. Until the servers update themselves, you're better off using the oldmovephysics command and pub with the old physics.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »
Thank you for putting the option in to disable new physics changes.  I will put up a test server later tonight.  Maybe even this afternoon if I finish up my work =)

Edit: Nvm, didn't notice linux version wasn't done.  I will have a test server up soon after it is released.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:17:46 AM by SuperMAn »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »
Like joonas said, it will be laggy/glitchy playing on servers with the old movement physics unless you set oldmovephysics to 1.

prozajik: I'll check these out when I get home.  Thanks for putting some demos together.  On the note about losing speed up ramps, you have to be holding the jump key to slide up ramps.  It'll take some getting used to.  Future maps/map fixes could be made with the slick surface on the ice ramps to make it so you don't have to hold the jump key.

Beppo

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »
new movement sux.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »
...On the note about losing speed up ramps, you have to be holding the jump key to slide up ramps.  It'll take some getting used to.  Future maps/map fixes could be made with the slick surface on the ice ramps to make it so you don't have to hold the jump key.
ye, after some tries i finally got used to it, so i dont think its a big deal.
Edit:Just realised that it happens also on carpathian where the ramp is covered with ice. (jump_bug1_008)
But pls check those gameplay tests on prolandr.I am sure its not only prolandr i will try to find out some more examples.

new movement sux.
Come on, it doesnt :P. Point out things you dont like so they can be fixed/upgraded, dont generalise. I think its good step forward, this game needs some new improvement and those fixes make the game faster/funnier at least in my point of view.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
Can you please add the newest version of the serverbrowser and all changes from the cvs to the next pretest/final version?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
Can you please add the newest version of the serverbrowser and all changes from the cvs to the next pretest/final version?
What changed with the server browser?

Beppo

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHQ6sxuuYQ
so much for a more realistic game ;)

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
I like this build, even if it needs a little bit time to get used to the new movements :D

Btw, you forgot the 2 here:
- Tweak: Made cl_drawtexinfo 1 only hit solid objects.  Use cl_drawtexinfo 2 to test clip, etc.  8:40 PM 5/5/2011

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHQ6sxuuYQ
so much for a more realistic game ;)
Type oldmovephysics 1 and make jump to HBD. Is it realistic enough? Now wait for winter then find some rocks ice and snow, make snow ramp and shape rocks like its on proalndr then build a HBD in aproximately 8 metres height, now if you can slide over the ice ramp to that HBD outside your house I will believe you its realistic :D. This game is not realistic anymore. So who cares if this update makes it a bit less or a bit more realistic. Most people wont notice.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
A dj script isn't realistic too and experienced players use it :P

I guess prozajik is right with the statement that most of the people won't notice a difference.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
new movement sux.

it's good to have an opinion, even better to also explain your problems.

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »
i found myself in the sky while jumping way to often. its going to be crazy trying to shoot people who know how to jump.... darn you olbaid...

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
I just wanted to note that decreasing ball speed was supposed to make it (shooting/weapons/game) more realistic, movement/speed was never taken into consideration (yeah, this is me still hating on lowering ball speed about 3 years ago). I will give b33 a try when it comes as official. Good job on finishing tweaks/bugs, though.