Digital Paint Discussion Board

Digital Paint Community => Other Stuff => Topic started by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 25, 2007, 10:27:29 AM

Title: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 25, 2007, 10:27:29 AM
What do you think of it...? Just wondering.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: JiGSaW on December 25, 2007, 10:42:23 AM
LimeWire Pro > Frostwire > Limewire.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Kaos on December 25, 2007, 11:44:07 AM
/me hopes u know theirs a limewire pro turbo
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: KiLo on December 25, 2007, 02:53:34 PM
And what might this Limwire Pro Turbo be?

Everyone I talk to says Limewire is terrible whether you have Pro or Free but I have used Pro for about 3 years and never had any problems.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: y00tz on December 25, 2007, 04:00:22 PM
Evil.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 25, 2007, 04:34:26 PM
I'm cool with free... The whole reason I got it was for free music. Pay for free music? = defeating the purpose.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: KiLo on December 25, 2007, 04:40:11 PM
First off torrent the pro version. Second right now I am trying to get Limewire Turbo and I will let you know what it's like when I get it.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: sk89q on December 25, 2007, 04:53:35 PM
Phex > all
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: nopyo on December 25, 2007, 05:14:42 PM
Doesn't Frostwire = Free Limewire Pro?

Phex > all

How much RAM does Phex use?
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: sk89q on December 25, 2007, 06:12:49 PM
I don't know, but it's Java, so don't get your hopes up.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: eradicator on December 25, 2007, 06:34:55 PM
Lol its funny I had problems this morning with limewire, it took it 15 minutes to connect to the network and it has never done that before. Other than that I've never had problems with it or gotten a virus. Everyone says it gives you viruses but I beg to differ. I think thats only if you try to download games or aps. And no one needs limewire pro. Regular limewire gives you music for free and thats all you need. Faster download times doesn't make a big difference, it just speeds up the process of the government coming to your house, taking all your stuff and sticking their fingers up your a**. And if you want movies use a torrent downloader, I use bitloard.
It's simple.........
limewire > than buying music.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Eiii on December 25, 2007, 07:36:17 PM
Eeh, Torrents are better than Limewire/Kazaa/whatever else you find.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: nopyo on December 25, 2007, 07:48:39 PM
Torrents are nice for movies but not for downloading individual songs though.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Cameron on December 25, 2007, 08:05:32 PM
Torrents are nice for movies but not for downloading individual songs though.
I agree.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 25, 2007, 11:09:41 PM
Lol its funny I had problems this morning with limewire, it took it 15 minutes to connect to the network and it has never done that before. Other than that I've never had problems with it or gotten a virus. Everyone says it gives you viruses but I beg to differ. I think thats only if you try to download games or aps. And no one needs limewire pro. Regular limewire gives you music for free and thats all you need. Faster download times doesn't make a big difference, it just speeds up the process of the government coming to your house, taking all your stuff and sticking their fingers up your a**. And if you want movies use a torrent downloader, I use bitloard.
It's simple.........
limewire > than buying music.

Exactly my thoughts...

Even when I understood nothing about computers, I still somehow had a problem believing that a song could have a virus coded into it, much less be somehow executed to screw your computer up.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: sk89q on December 26, 2007, 12:05:15 AM
Well then you'd be wrong actually. Several media players have had exploits that let arbritrary code execute from a media file. :D
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 26, 2007, 11:31:22 AM
Really? Do you have an example?
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: sk89q on December 26, 2007, 11:44:01 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS07-068.mspx

:D

I don't believe it's the only one too, and other players, like Winamp, have had trouble with these kind of problems.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: coLa on December 27, 2007, 11:26:32 PM
soul seek is a good program for only songs.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: play3r1 on December 27, 2007, 11:34:25 PM
Do you guys want to hear something funny. Limewire you can't download anything free, but if you want limewire pro you have to pay. So why not cheat limewire off using limewire, (cheating itself off by using it) and download limewire pro off of limewire, then you can get it for free. LMAO that;s what I did.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: coLa on December 28, 2007, 01:12:12 AM
funny stuff yo... but it's been mentioned already. but by using a torrent
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Magical-Tree on December 28, 2007, 07:47:09 PM
Limewire is alright, Gets the job done. But coLa hit the nail on the head here, Soulseek is the best programme around if you're looking to get music, especially if your looking for rare stuff.



~MT
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Eiii on December 28, 2007, 07:53:00 PM
For single songs? Use this (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=-inurl%3A(htm|html|php)+intitle%3A"index+of"+%2B"last+modified"+%2B"parent+directory"+%2Bdescription+%2Bsize+%2B(wma|mp3)+"SEARCH+HERE"&btnG=Search)
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: QueeNiE on December 28, 2007, 08:10:57 PM
It's funny, because people say they like limewire, but not torrents.



Too bad Limewire IS torrenting.


Fail.




Edit: play3r1 are you scope?
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: nopyo on December 28, 2007, 08:16:51 PM
Limewire is P2P isn't it?
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: DrRickDaglessMD on December 28, 2007, 08:39:17 PM
Actually, Limewire uses the gnutella network to share files, BitTorrent-protocol applications do not. Both applications are 'P2P' to varying degrees, but that's not saying much really.

I used Limewire for individual songs up until recently, but then it's just been taken over by all those junk results. I just don't bother these days, too much hassle.

- Dagless
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 28, 2007, 11:08:28 PM
I've kinda noticed that the junk results aren't really a problem unless you're searching for popular artists or songs the radio plays over and over again... The stuff I get usually doesn't have almost any (Nobody's going to bother tagging spam with an artist's name no one really listens to...).
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: coLa on December 29, 2007, 12:22:50 AM
Limewire is alright, Gets the job done. But coLa hit the nail on the head here, Soulseek is the best programme around if you're looking to get music, especially if your looking for rare stuff.

yah soul seek rox. down and dirty.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: DrRickDaglessMD on December 29, 2007, 11:21:48 AM
I've kinda noticed that the junk results aren't really a problem unless you're searching for popular artists or songs the radio plays over and over again... The stuff I get usually doesn't have almost any (Nobody's going to bother tagging spam with an artist's name no one really listens to...).

yeah for a while that was true, but nowadays it seems like there is some sort of bot which returns results based on your search terms, so you get a million fake entries  no matter what you type in. I used to use soulseek but I couldn't get very consistent results (Even though you could usually get some pretty rare stuff).
Shareaza is a bit better than limewire seeing as it can connect to a lot of different sharing networks, but it still suffers from the junk results.

- Dag
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: Fullmetal_Steeb on December 29, 2007, 11:37:21 AM
They should have a $#@% filter. If the description obviously has NOTHING to do with what you searched for, it shouldn't be shown. :P
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: ViciouZ on December 29, 2007, 11:40:16 AM
Some peers/ultrapeers are bots. If you search for something, when they recieve the search request they create a file and rename it to your search string, with possible modifiers to make it look more realistic. Also, some files that have nothing to do with what you searched for appear because the bots tag them with huge amounts of random tags, including what you searched for.
Title: Re: Limewire: Your Thoughts
Post by: QueeNiE on December 30, 2007, 10:26:41 AM
Yeah, but you just filter their IP.


Problem = solved.