Digital Paint Discussion Board
Development => Mapping => Map Graveyard => Topic started by: y00tz on July 02, 2007, 05:43:12 PM
-
Heist is a new map that I've started on. I came here to get some more ideas...
It's a siege map, based on a casino*
The offensive team ("Thieves") start in the front of the casino. Their objective is to get through the main gambling room, and downstairs into "The High Rollers Club", where there is a vault that is open, and gold bars laying all around. The high rollers room has inoperative lights, and the entire room is completely lit by the gold*.
On top of the gold is the flag, which the offensive team must steal...
My initial thoughts were to make the offensive team have to capture the flag at a different exit then where they came in (Like a getaway has been pulled around back or something) Thoughts?
The defensive team starts in the security room (a surveillance station), and is slightly closer to the gold than the offensive team*.
I hope to have a demo in a short time, and soon thereafter a beta.
I'd appreciate feedback, and as I finish touching up the concept art, I'll attach it along side screenshots.
Cheers,
y00tz
_________________________
*details that aren't concrete yet.
-
Don't make it a specific escape route, that would be too easy to defend - at least have like 3 exits (right, back, left)
and yes, SCREEEEENSHOTS :D
Casino is a very nice, and so far unique idea
-
I was never much of a concept sketcher :-/ anyway, I took off the notes on the concept because they were chicken scratch, and pretty much self explained in the screenie.
edit- btw I'm planning on keep all proportions correct in this map... e.g. that vault is a walk-in vault, the bar is about 4 ft high, the pool table is 4 feet high, etc..
Don't make it a specific escape route, that would be too easy to defend - at least have like 3 ex
its (right, back,
I think I'll set up 3 doors to escape, and since it's a casino, these will be fire exits, that's pretty realistic right? - since you normally don't have multiple exits to a casino.
-
very oceans 11 series
-
Nice concept, keep it up.
-
Looks more like the high resolution club
-
hmm nice idea..if it is a casino put a lot of detail in it and it will look awesome ;)
-
Looks like it will be fun. If you need textures of like bottles and stuff, I could get them if you want.
-
My only concern is that it will be too easy to defend. Most siege maps suffer from this. You need to make sure the defending team can't easily just sit in the room with the flag and shoot anybody who grabs it.
-
Looks like it will be fun. If you need textures of like bottles and stuff, I could get them if you want.
They would be helpful, thanks :D
hmm nice idea..if it is a casino put a lot of detail in it and it will look awesome ;)
y00tz & detail? nahhhhhh :P
Looks more like the high resolution club
Haha :P
very oceans 11 series
To be quite honest, I have never seen any of them, but I am familiar with the plot. The idea just struck accord, but it is unfortunate that the plot exists currently.
My only concern is that it will be too easy to defend. Most siege maps suffer from this. You need to make sure the defending team can't easily just sit in the room with the flag and shoot anybody who grabs it.
Roger that, any idea on how to fix such a scenario?
-
Very nice idea y00tz. Can't wait for a beta to test. Why not keep the defense from going into the room holding the vault but have multiple exits from there. That way the defense can't camp (unless they have so many people that they can camp all doors) and the offense has some breathing room of thinking of a way to escape. But if they take too long then defense wins. That might solve the problem.
-
Mario makes a good point. Like in siegecastle make it so the defense can't go by the flag and also make it so they can't go out to far either.
P.S. - What happened to Terminal?
-
The easiest way to prevent that scenario is to have multiple flags. About the only other thing you can do is extensively playtest the map and make sure there aren't any locations where players can safely "camp" without being shot easily.
-
Okay, I added a second floor with a balcony that overlooks and allows access to the vault room. There is 2 entrances into the vault room, and 3 counting the balcony which can access the vault room at virtually any angle. I also made a cool hanging light that works as a ladder from the vault room to the balcony by double jump, or making a series of smaller, easier jumps.
edit 1 - I'm intrigued by the multiple flag technique for a siege map... could someone explain how to do this to me?
Terminal - Sheesh, been so long, I'm still working on it a bit, I even restarted it with some other ideas about it. I think the idea at the moment is just a little sketchy, and needs some polishing on my end. I did however also start a subway/depot map. I hope to have at least a few maps released this summer, and hopefully I can release Heist and some of the other large ones (i.e. Innovation Renovation) later this year.
The CTP - Check the Wiki... we're about ready for the first release :D :D :D
The ONLY thing that is withholding there is that my thumbnails in BSP aren't the correct colors (even though in Wally I'm using the correct pallet file) any ideas?
-
Sounds great y00tz for multiple flags you just do it the same way as normal.
Off Topic: I am also currently designing a siege which I'm thinking of putting 2 flags in not near good enough to post a beta though it's called walled city the city is actually only 3 buildings though lol
-
How do you put multiple flags in your map? You add more than one "flag" entity. :)
-
How do you put multiple flags in your map? You add more than one "flag" entity. :)
I think you under-estimate my newbness.
-
Well, if you can make one, ctrl+space will clone it, and then you'll have two. :)
-
Then if you select both, and hit ctrl+space again, you'll have 4.
Then if you select the 4, and hit ctrl+space again, you'll have 8.
etc :)
-
sounds like it would be really cool. make sure you put more than one entrance to the flag area, and not too many places in the flag room to camp...
You wanna make it really realistic? Put bathrooms in it. And maybe a hotel area with a hallway and a few doors that open to rooms, along one of the escape routes (for lack of a better word). Make the escape routes kind of long, because I think one of the main problems with siege maps is that once the attackers get the flag, the round is pretty much over. like in siegecastle where you only have to turn out the door and jump off to cap...
-
can you release a beta w/o the elevators in it, maybe just a ladder in place of it. I wish to see what its like.
-
Nopyo, are you aware that this project will take 6 months... I'm concept sketching everything then making all the textures and models from scratch....
-
oh...i thought u were like half way done because there was that 3d screen shot of the high rollers club, and since ppl were just going on about elevator things. this got pretty off topic, lol.
sorry about rushing you, so take your time and good luck.
-
if your trying to get doors to close when you leave or w/e isnt that kind of like castle1? just change the doors and use the same stuff that they did for those doors
other than that this map sounds genious. Casino heist with the gold. its goona be a pretty sweeeet seige :D
-
Instead of capturing flags, is it possible to capture other items? In this case "capture the gold", if its possible, its gonna make other theme maps cooler.
-
I think there is a way to change the model of the flag. Or there is another entity (score maybe) that does that. Cant remember well, tho.
-
I think there is a way to change the model of the flag. Or there is another entity (score maybe) that does that. Cant remember well, tho.
If you can remember, let me know. I'd love to have bags of money or gold bars be the flag. :D :D
-
Post removed
-
Ok, I took a look at the entity help, and apparently you can just put a 'model' key to the flag entity.
-
Ok, I took a look at the entity help, and apparently you can just put a 'model' key to the flag entity.
Thanks, will test soon.
Looks good. Except when I pickup/drop it says 'no entname'
-
Sweet! ;D
What's the second "flag" gonna be?
-
I was planning on a bag of money... thoughts?
-
Except when I pickup/drop it says 'no entname'
Hm.. I wouldn't know about that. Maybe its because there should be some sort of 'picked up' specific model.
-
Hm.. I wouldn't know about that. Maybe its because there should be some sort of 'picked up' specific model.
Ahh, that's quite likely, I didn't consider that. I'll Google it too.
-
I was planning on a bag of money... thoughts?
money bag sounds good, just don't make it too small :)
-
Maybe a bag of jewels? Maybe a reallly big gem, I don't know, I want better ideas... Suitcase of money is too cliche.
Edit 1:
@Cobo: Grrr I hate using PAKs but I think this map finally justifies a reason for me. Can I put everything... textures, models, the .bsp, etc., in a PAK and all will be fine?
-
yeah, bag of jewels, have it glow different colors if u can.
-
Yes, you can put everything on a pak, but the pak would have to go directly on the pball directory so PB can read the files from the actuall pics/textures/maps folders.
But you could also make a pak for pics, a pak for models, a pack for tectures, etc.
-
But you could also make a pak for pics, a pak for models, a pack for tectures, etc.
I like that idea. In case I ever update the custom textures/models for the map, all they have to do is update a since file.
+1 to you if karma ever gets put back.
-
Is this going to be a seige type map? One team defenends the casino vault where the gold/bag of money is kept and the other team tries to defend? Would put a nice twist on the norm.
~MT
-
Yes it Magic by the way y00tz that sounds cool might help me to for my farm map you could have to steal some guys prized pig I'll just put lots of ribbons on it I like the idea of a bag of jewels or maybe like a golden jewel covered staff.
-
XD make it all blue ribbons except for one red ribbon... the judge had a grudge against you in that one...
-
Anything new y00tz?
I would like to see new screenshots or something.
-
If you use pak files, the current in-game download system will still download the files individually. Also, I've had a pak subdirectory on the todo list for a while, but I'm not sure if it was ever implemented. I would recommend not putting the map in a pak file, otherwise it won't show up in the map lists, and if it gets changed, it won't be able to be overwritten automatically.
For now the simplest thing to do would be to distribute your map in a zip file that can be extracted directly to the paintball2 directory. Make sure you have appropriate names for your texture directories - something like pball/textures/y00tz or pball/textures/heist.
-
any work being done on this? :(
-
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this already, but you could put another way into the high rollers club by adding air vents above. It would be one of those "Going In" ways without being able to use it to get out.
EDIT: I just realized the age of this thread lol, if this map isn't being done, then forget my post XD
-
Hey, any1 got a download link or the file? i would like to try it and mayadd it on my server
-
Hey, any1 got a download link or the file? i would like to try it and mayadd it on my server
Maps in the "Map Graveyard" section are unfinished and most likely will never be finished.
-
yes, i know that but when its playable i would like to play it, i also added beta maps like twilight2_preview, there are some bugs but unfinished maps can still be good.
sadly there are only so few siege maps.
-
yes, i know that but when its playable i would like to play it, i also added beta maps like twilight2_preview, there are some bugs but unfinished maps can still be good.
sadly there are only so few siege maps.
This map will probably never be finished, due to the creator isnt even around :P. Also siege maps are boring... IDK why you are so obsessed with them!
-
i got a siege server, cause i loved playing siege, 4 years ago there was a good siege server, but its gone
-
4 years ago there was a good siege server, but its gone
Siege USA is a fairly good siege server that gets populated when people go on it.
-
yes, but if you are from europa and got a ping >100 there is no fun to play on it