Author Topic: NEW MAP: cP (based of of halo 3's Valhalla.  (Read 10254 times)

aircrew

• VM-68
Re: NEW MAP: cP (based of of halo 3's Valhalla.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
I just want to express my support for Chef.

Maybe he is little annoying with his scrutiny, but the only reason why he does that is you skimp your job. How hard is to look after bugs in map soo little detailed? Seriosly, don´t even try to criticize Chef. His maps are much better than yours and he puts a lot of effort in it.

Your maps are just random formations of big fat ugly blocks with few randomly arranged models. And yes, they are played sometimes, because you are in favour of map owners, but players keep leaving when your maps are on.

Face up to reality and don´t brag so much.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »
I just want to express my support for Chef.
Yup same here, he may be a little annoying, but still, where would quality of our maps be without him. We would still play maps like shz22 (ok it has decent gameplay, but it has way too many holes/bugs, just remember how many times did your nade get stuck under a missplaced crate).
Also imagine how much time he spents just going through maps, which he probably doesnt even like and he does it for free in his free time.

His maps might not be played that much in matches, still they are favorite maps on speeds. In addition, his maps are great inspiration for new mappers (selda, his design of destiny was inspired by discovery) and thats imo much better success for mapper, than if it gets played once or twice in a match.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
Meanwhile, it's more a general discussion. Maybe it's not the right topic for that, but all in all the discussion might help to understand different people, to understand the existing problem and it can help to find solutions to put more effort in maps.

The problem is not that it's possible to post and - not - improve/fix maps like this (topics can be locked or deleted). Clipz isn't the first one and i'm pretty sure he won't be the last one. The problem is that mappers can ignore or bypass the guidelines (link) to release and improve a new good quality map without any consequences. The reasons could be a wrong attitude to mapping, laziness, just the fact that unfinished maps are playable anyway, or something like that.

Most of the server admins will upload the maps without checking the quality, sometimes even as a final. At times, you could upload every scrap to specific servers. This publishing makes lots of scrap known and popular by some people, another problem.

There're some players who don't care about the quality of maps, that's why other people need to do it even more in advance to increase the quality of the game and to attract new players. We can't attract new player and hope that they stay with those scrap maps that totally ruin the game and the fun.

So we need to make a cut and find a solution for current maps and especially for the release of new maps. Because new maps could increase the quality for the future (next to official hr4 textures and other stuff that makes maps better without changing the map itself).

The guidelines are already done for years and there're lots of maps with much potential. But potential is like a talent, it's not all and it needs much effort to exhaust. What we need are the consequences if mappers ignore or bypass the guidelines. It's the only way to avoid scrap.

I mention that for years. We need a general change for the map(-ping) part of the game to increase the quality of the current and new maps. Beta maps only playable on beta servers, official maplist, map signature, etc. are just a few possibilities to give mappers a need to improve their maps and follow the guidelines. The mapping committee might help to implement stuff like this, but unfortunately it has not enough influence and everything needs jitspoe's ok and help.

Personally I try to help all mappers with feedback, tips, explanations, etc. Spending time and effort is the only part I can do at the moment to ensure higher quality maps than we already have. We don't need more and more maps, we need maps that have something special and that are well done. I hope mappers will also realize this by themself sometime. As long as I shall point out. I'm sorry if a mapper should be offended in his honor, but the game should definitely stand above individuals.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Mappers make maps for them self not for you chef so use my guide lines and dont post on any of my maps I release.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »
Mappers make maps for them self

I thought mappers make maps for everyone. If they made them only for themselves then they wouldn't post them on forums for people to download.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
 Maybe you should stop posting your maps here, clipz, you fat as intercourse whale.

User banned for this post
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:14:07 PM by jitspoe »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Clipz, you do enjoy playing shazam over shazamr if that goes to show how you lack an eye for completed and good playing maps.

ThC loves mystique for its game play. You hate it and your second version is awful.

Rallyr_b1 is a nice map, I like it and it looks clean.

This new map i do not like. The jumps are random, and very hard to make. You could speed out the same spot and hit the jump 50% of the time. The launchers in base don't help due to the fact they launch you at different speeds and different angles depending on where and how hard you hit them. I personally hate open maps as well.

I also noticed that in this thread you attacked chef killer before he made any post. A simple I don't want any misaligned textures mentioned because I am not finished would have sufficed.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »
Chef There are no leaks in the map. I've been creating q2 maps for 10+ years I don't need your input. I don't see any of your maps played and most of mine still are.
OHHHHHH SNAPPPPPPPPPP.
Go assman!

Played it against you guys and it was fun, mid laggs a bit but whatever

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
ur laggin everywhere lol

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
True dat.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
I don't want to come off as a jerk, but this post is going to be very critical, and hopefully you'll be able to take it constructively and be able to use it to improve your maps in the future:

First, the title:  If you're going to call it Valhalla, just call it valhalla.  I don't see how that's associated with cP in any way.  Just because you're in a clan doesn't mean you have to name a map after it. :P

Next, performance:  This map pretty much combines all of things that cause poor performance in Paintball2: Large, open areas (since bsp chops them up), no real visibility blockers, water, poor brush alignment (gaps/unsealed areas all over), and tons of entities.  The r_speeds are in the red pretty much everywhere, and you really need to avoid that.  You can't expect everybody to have a high end gaming machine.  Most of the people who do aren't playing this game.  Even my machine, which plays BF3 fine, drops down to like 30fps sometimes.

Latency:  All the entities you've added for grass, trees, etc. actually add networked entities which take up bandwidth.  Also, since the map is basically just a big box with no visibility blockers, all entities (players, paintballs, etc.) are going to be sent over the network all the time (in addition to all the trees and such), likely resulting in overflows or just a laggy experience overall.

Visuals:  I'm going to be honest, the map itself doesn't look very good.  It just looks like a bunch of giant wedges haphazardly placed around.  I realize it's a work in progress, but I think you're going about it the wrong way.  The base world terrain should all be aligned.  Snap your verts to the grid and such.  Also, having the water exactly at the height of the trough, or whatever you want to call it looks weird, as does the fact that there's a waterfall flowing into it from each side.  Where does the water go?

Gameplay:  The map is almost symmetrical, but not quite.  There are some pretty significant differences in the terrain that will probably make it easier to take a shortcut to the flag capture point on one team.  The jump pads are kind of an interesting idea, but I think they mostly provide a crutch for the fact that the map is super large and you're going to be spending most of your time traversing terrain.  There isn't very good flow to the map.  You take a jump pad and try to move across the terrain and slam into a giant block rock that's jutting out of the side or a tree or something.  The bases seem mostly pointless.  I can't see any reason to go in the lower area, and it makes the ramp up to the capture point awkward.  Overall, I imagine the gameplay just boiling down to finding the perfect path where you can move along without hitting trees or rocks, and just speed capping over and over.

Suggestions to improve it:

I think your best bet is to start over and rearchitect the map so it has better terrain and visibility blocking.  I would make it more of an S-shape.  Try to make it so you can't see more than 1/3 of the map at a time.  I would also cut down the map size quite a bit to make it faster to navigate without the uber jump pads.  The number of visible trees should be cut down to like 2 or 3 at most (and try to put them in locations where they'd provide tactical cover and not block movement).  I'm not sure what to suggest on the bases having not played the Halo version of the map.  They certainly need more visual detail and practical playable space, though.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
This was just for fun im not going to finish it ive started a new map which is alot better.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 07:32:42 PM »
true^ , idk but i like all of clipz's maps, they make scrims/pugs a lot more fun.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
i like all of clipz maps except ccc i was put off by that one.

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:04 PM »
lol i love ccc, great pub map

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »
yeah just i get really bad fps rates coming out of the castle.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »
Dont know why there was the sudden agression against Chef, Im not a mapper, but talking like that to someone who does nothing but help is just plain rude, ignorant, and a little bit arrogant too.

I think you should finish this though, it doesnt seem too bad.

also, blaa, youre still the best forum poster.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »
Uhmm clipz did you detail stuff, because it will make less lags. Ps i think the pads should shoot less further and the map being less long. plus i would add stuff like crates and maybe ramps or something coming down the middle.

You dont have to do that, just my opinion.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »
Detailing stuff doesn't make it lag any less, it just makes the vis tool have to compute less so it's faster to compile.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
Oh ok :)