Author Topic: Noob clan network!  (Read 8231 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Re: Noob clan network!
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »
m7 why should it be renamed to dp chat

Because that is more generic and might catch the eye of people who don't know what irc is.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 06:50:27 AM »
 Maybe the first start would be changing the ingame irc message from etg to ggc..

Rept

• PGP
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 10:26:07 AM »
Incidentally, having not used the voice feature in xfire much, is it any good?

Does it use direct p2p or a server to do voice?

You can do both, I have seen multi user rooms on xfire user created that include voice preety simply setup. As to the efficency I cannot say for sure. But It can provide a free alternative to a voice server.

Also alot of people are taking this debate into irc out of the origional point which is not enough people use it that are new and starting clans. Rather the information isnt avaliable (it appears to be) or the players dont understand what irc is and just avoid it.

I do agree the java applet fixes would help, but ill save that for the feature thread.

A proposed contact list for methods outside of irc would be nice for those who are unable to setup irc for whatever reasons. But doing so this link might aswell be just bumped for xfire names. http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=7596.0

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
The problem with the xfire name list is that it does not include clan info in most cases.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »
does it help show a win/loss record? Can you send out a scrim request?

Rept

• PGP
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2007, 10:06:23 PM »
Yeah i agree the xfire list lacks some clan affiliations.

does it help show a win/loss record? Can you send out a scrim request?

Find a way to keep an easily verified win/loss record , right now its pretty much irrelevant as general observation and experience is worth more.

Also , like its so hard to click a name and say "interested in a 2v2 ?"    Scrim request hits broad range but essentially both are so similar in terms of work , that its not even really an issue. Of course assuming your not to lazy to type for more than 12 seconds.

I mean don't get me wrong I'm for getting everyone on Irc to keep it uniform , but it was worth mentioning an alternative since we have seen how effective everyones been at getting irc.

ps: If this came off rude I mean nothing by it and it was not intentional.

-Rept

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
But wouldn't i need to know everyone to request a scrim from them? In irc i can request a scrim from my own channel without even knowing the other channels exist.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »
D. Do yourself a favor and get teamspeak or ventrillo for voice communication. Without it you are at a serious disadvantage.
this is something i've wondered about. outside of xfire, how would you do voice chats when, say, your clan has very limited resources and can't get their own ts/vent server (or maybe they could but it wouldn't be worth it)??

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »
Ask lekky or matze for a channel in qehs or ch1ll TS server.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
Ask lekky or matze for a channel in qehs or ch1ll TS server.
what a coincidence.

i was just talking to lekky ~30 mins ago and he offered. so thanks anyway. :P

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 06:41:40 PM »
this is something i've wondered about. outside of xfire, how would you do voice chats when, say, your clan has very limited resources and can't get their own ts/vent server (or maybe they could but it wouldn't be worth it)??

Jits and GT both have some space on theirs that they allow folks to use at times as well.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »
But wouldn't i need to know everyone to request a scrim from them? In irc i can request a scrim from my own channel without even knowing the other channels exist.

You certainly can. But if your clan is a noob or intermediate clan you won't find many similar clans on irc. I am hoping that changes. But the main method right now is aim msn and going into a pub looking.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »
that's unfortunate. i mean, i'm a relative noob, and ... honestly, how hard can it be to look up how to do things? in my short time with this game, i've learned quite a lot about what goes on outside of the actual gameplay.
the forums are a great resource, as well as members' sites and other community contributions.
and as far as setting up a clan irc channel ... all it takes is a little curiosity.
in my instance, i knew that for irc, we connect to "irc.globalgamerscenter.net" ... so, i thought "I wonder if there's a website at globalgamerscenter.net" and sure enough, everything i might need to know about doing the irc thing is there. (did i have prior IRC experience before coming to DP? no, not really. or did i have experience with other sorts of online FPS games and organizations? no, not that either.)

i guess what i'm saying is this: if you don't know much about all that non-gameplay stuff or how to do it, you probably have no business starting a clan.
make any sense?

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2007, 01:39:35 PM »
Yes and no. You are approaching it from what you want their clan to be. They are finding scrims and having fun WITHOUT IRC. If we want them in IRC we have to make it easy and worth their time.

I think Jit's redoing the link and the java version is a big step in that direction.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
yes, that's all very true. it helps to see a different perspective sometimes.