Author Topic: Combat Hall  (Read 4308 times)

Porkey

• PGP
Combat Hall
« on: July 19, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »
I'm starting my first map soon, and I decided to make it a close copy of Metroid Prime Hunters "Combat Hall". That map is incredibly ballanced and is perfect for small groups, around 2 or 4. I have already thought of the weapons placement, and I am quite farmiliar with the map, so I will use this to get myself farmiliar with the map maker. After that, I plan on making something more challanging, like Ice Hive. Look forward to it!

Porkey

• PGP
Re: Combat Hall
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
Here is a video showing the map. I plan to make the "S" shaped tunnel/bridge path that leads to the second half of the upper floor accessable by crouch only (-the bridge of course). The jump pad will be replaced by a ladder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMYs5qzM4BM

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
You don't need to tell us every time you're planning to make a new map - still it's great how eagerly you are wanting to make the map :P

Also, avoid doubleposting (posting twice in a row), you can edit your post by clicking the Modify button.

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
Okay, thanks. I'm halfway done with it as we speak.  :D

Also, I think I might have made the map on a slightly larger scale. I hope it still works.
And what is the texture name for ladders? I currently have a rock wall. (I have set the brush face as a ladder)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:12:04 PM by Porkey »

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 07:15:06 AM »
Well a good ladder is normally made up of actual rungs and sides, not just a texture. Pick 1 or 2 woods that compliment your map, and make 1 of them the rung texture, and the other the sides that hold the rungs together.  Zorch made a nice ladder tutorial I believe, I will edit my post when i find the link.

-Cusoman

Edit: The tutorial I was thinking of was done by Jitspoe
Here's the link: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5439.0

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »
Ok, thanks. making ladders is more complicated than I thought.

Also, I will be using this as somewhat of a progress log. Heres what I did today:

Day 2
-Map resized. Turned on MPH and went to combat hall, and found it was WAY offscale.

-hallway(1st floor) completely finished. Attributes include slightly lowered floor, open slit in second part of wall, and lighted "doorway".

-Ladder replaced by chain link fence. Ladder will probably be introduced in the "full detail" version, which will come out after I get the main arena finished, compiled, lighted, and uploaded.

-2nd floor ledge 1 almost complete. Minor detailing work on rim of upper floor.

-realized there is a "3rd story ledge" near the ceiling that wont be rechable. The will be fairly easy to complete.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:34:20 PM by Porkey »

Laged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 05:22:23 AM »
At least someone plans their map :P I usually just start with something and see what happens. Well yeah, I always run out of ideas --> one unfinished map more :D

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
I wouldnt exactly call it "planning". I literally have a full 3D complete version of the map in front of my, and all I have to do is copy what I see. Its a good idea for my first map.

Also, I got up, and worked on it for an hour. This is what I did so far:

-realized the bottom of the ledge does NOT have the same texture as the top. It is the same texture as the ceiling in the hallway.

-Right morph ball tunnel complete. *Question* In the map creator, if I set the grid to 64, is one block big enough for a player to crouch and hide under?

-Right extrusion complete.

-Left Extrusion complete.

-Border detail for 2nd story was worked on.

-map was thinned. again.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »
Are you making this map CTF or DM?

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
Both, probably. I intend on using the Octolith (flag) placements from MPH for this map. However, IIRC, Combat hall does not support CTF. I'm wrong probably.

I also realized I will be having problems with the VIS, as the map is very open. Its not big, however.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
Reed and I have been playing some Metroid on DS multiplayer, so I've just been able to see the Combat Hall in MPH form (dunno if its changed from any non-DS versions).

After playing it, I can't really see it working as a DP map, especially if you have to crouch on the upper floor which would be very slow (unlike MPH where you can roll about pretty quickly). Also, a ladder would be suicide as its far too slow and you're basically open to attack from 90% of the map when climbing it, so I'd say keep jump pads in.

I'm actually genuinely pleased you even thought of the VIS, it seems the dearth of new mappers couldn't care less about the actual core of map making understanding.

- Dagless

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »
OK, I've been on vacation and have been unable to work on it. I'll be starting it again soon.
How do I make jump pads? And ladders seem pretty fast in this game. As for the tunnels, I'll make little covers for them, so it will be hard to shoot at.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
You can do really shallow stairs like in the map overrun. That's even faster than jump pads.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 01:04:11 AM »
-Right morph ball tunnel complete. *Question* In the map creator, if I set the grid to 64, is one block big enough for a player to crouch and hide under?

I think the player can walk under 64 and crouch under 32.

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
^Ok then. I was just checking to make sure I didnt mess that up.

Porkey

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »
>_<

Laptop broke, and the Desktop wont run the map maker.

I'll have to wait till December, when I get my new laptop...
 Sorry guys.

iced

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »
no one cares

Actually some of us do.  Take some time off to think about that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:48:24 PM by KnacK »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 09:20:13 PM »
>_<

Laptop broke, and the Desktop wont run the map maker.

I'll have to wait till December, when I get my new laptop...
 Sorry guys.

I know exactly how you feel... only, my HDD died, and I never finished the map.  >.<